Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I killed my 1st ever deer the day before rifle season in MO. I saw lots of deer in the public area I've been hunting, including one huge old guy. (I'm from the ground this year.) I didn't hunt during rifle season. I hunted Monday morning and this morning an have not seen a deer. I have 2 spots, one on the north and one on the south side of a cornfield that funnels into another field. The wind will be blowing the opposite direction tomorrow morning, so I plan to hunt from the other side. It will be in the 30's. I've been only hunting mornings as I want to get a few more field dressing under my belt before doing it in the dark. So, do I need to change my tactics? Midday hunts? Should I be using doe bleats? At this point I'm more interested in meat than trophy, so does are fine, not that I wouldn't like to take a nice buck.

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
morning- hunt close to bedding
evening- hunt close to food

hunt them the same as you do early season. they begin getting more pattern able after the madness happens in november.

·
<---Ride the Lightning
2,031 Posts
Greg, is the area you are hunting archery only or was there firearms hunting allowed there?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
morning- hunt close to bedding
evening- hunt close to food

hunt them the same as you do early season. they begin getting more pattern able after the madness happens in november.
Seems to be a lot of bedding in the woods right off the corn fields. I think I'll give it another shot in the morning.

·
<---Ride the Lightning
2,031 Posts
It's archery only. About 2500 acres, I believe.
That's good, at least you know the rifle hunters didn't scare all the deer away.
Still, I approach public land with the mindset that I am going to work harder than most guys are willing to. Get as far away from a parking lot as I can, get into the most rugged area, etc.
Good luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good, at least you know the rifle hunters didn't scare all the deer I've hunted theaway.
Still, I approach public land with the mindset that I am going to work harder than most guys are willing to. Get as far away from a parking lot as I can, get into the most rugged area, etc.
Good luck
These spots aren't too far from the spot I park, but in the 13 or so mornings I've hunted there, I've only encountered one other hunter. This part of the conservation area doesn't seem to get much pressure. But I like your suggestion. When I hunt morels, I walk at least a half mine very quickly into the woods before I even start looking for them! Most people look 10 feet from the road!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts