Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... As some of you might remember, I had a problem with the new Steelhead 100's not threading into my Gold Tips securely enough to be useable... I was not happy with the response I got back from Rocket concerning that, and started a thread about the whole thing... Well, I got a PM from a member here telling me that Eric at Rocket would really like me to call, and give him the opportunity to make things right - SO, I called him... He was very nice to me on the phone, we talked about what was going on with this, and he told me he'd send out some broadheads I could use to straighten things out... Well, he DID send me out more broadheads than I bought in the 1st place(was fairly generous, actually), and I got them in a couple of days(very prompt) - BUT, they STILL had the short threads(as opposed to the Steelheads they were making in the past)... They still won't work with Gold Tips, and from what I'm hearing, some other arrow makes as well... This is VERY unfortunate, because I really, really, REALLY liked every performance aspect of the Steelhead 100's(EXELLENT terminal performance, and pinpoint accuracy - what else could you ask for in a broadhead???)... So wanting to talk to Eric before coming back here to tell my story(again), I waited until I got him on the phone... It's now apparant that they DID change their Steelhead 100's, and it was NOT a change for the better - the current Steelhead 100's will not work with some arrows, including Gold Tips(which I believe are the #1 selling all carbon arrow on the market, BTW)... Eric tells me that they're going to correct this, but no solid time frame was given as to when... I STILL will gladly say that Steelhead 100's are GREAT performers IF they thread securely enough into your arrow of choice - before you plan on hunting with them, make sure you take a look at this concern, 1st, that's all... I have enough to get me through this season, but until the change is made, I won't be buying any more... I hope he fixes this soon, because I really don't want to shoot another head, and unless they start putting out total crap, will NOT be changing from Gold Tip arrows(I shoot year round, and only bowhunt for a couple of months, and Gold Tips have been great for me, so...) - I DO have an offer to try out some WASP Jak Hammers for free, but will wait until I'm out of Steeleheads I can use, until I resort to that... Nothing against the Jak Hammers, but I'm VERY confident that Steelehads will "get the job done" - IF they'll thread into my inserts, that is... I'm relatively sure that the Jak Hammers will work well for me also, though...

Now, to be absolutely fair to all sides, atleast a little of this falls on Gold Tip... After looking over some of my older Steelheads, and older Gold Tip inserts, I've come to the following conclusion: the Steelheads NOW have approximately 2 less threads available for use(and they really didn't have any to spare to begin with), and Gold Tip's inserts now have approximately 1 less useable thread in their current inserts, as opposed to those they've put out in the past... I am told that the current Gold Tip inserts STILL fall within AMO specs, though - and the new Steelheads have had problems with other arrow makes as well... So to me, the brunt of this falls on Rocket, and not Gold Tip, although Gold Tip hasn't done anything to help this situation...

Another alternative, if like me, you REALLY want to stick to Steelhead 100's AND Gold Tip arrows, would be to use different inserts with your Gold Tips... I looked at some Easton Epics the other day, and they have a couple more useable threads than the Gold Tip inserts do,and will still fit the Gold Tips - so that IS an alternative, until Rocket gets things straightened out... Also, it appears that PSE's all carbon arrows will work with the "new" Steelheads as well...

If I missed anything, or can answer any questions for anyone regarding all of this, please let me know... I've tried to be fair to all parties involved in this, while being 100% honest about EVERYTHING... I also wanted to let my fellow bowhunters know about what's going on with this... Please note that even after all this, I STILL want to hunt with Steelhead 100's( I just have to find a way to make 'em work with my arrow of choice, until Rocket gets them "fixed") - I think that says something about just how impressed I am with the way the Steelhead 100's have worked for me in the past... 5 sucessful hunting seasons in a row with them is hard to ignore...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you George for a very informative post. These fourms really do help to spread information. It's also nice to be able to hear about other archers experinces both good and bad to help me to make decisions on my own equipment. Can't always beleive the hype put out by the magazines. oil

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use carbon Gold Tip arrows (purchased last year) and this year I switched to the Rocket Steelhead 100's. I have not had the same problem you talk about here. The broadheads screw on about 1 3/4 turns on the arrow. Maybe its because my arrows (inserts) are last years model. Sorry, I didn't read the previous thread on this issue.

·
Registered
263 Posts
1 3/4 turns doesn't sound like enough to me Sharky. I like to have several times that to be sure they are secure. What are others getting on their broadhead arrow combinations?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
GKF

The GKF "Demon" 100gr broadhead appears IDENTICAL to the Rocket "Steelhead"100 (Is it made by Rocket for GKF?)
Anyway, it might be worth checking out to see if THAT head has the same problems as your current Steelhead 100's.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Interesting about the GKF Demon....it does look EXACTLY like the steelhead. Little steep on price though...$42 for 3 heads???

·
Registered
146 Posts
Those demons are made by rocket, as are the other gk expandable heads, so they are quality, but the price is definately higher than rocket's lineup.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good question, Dark Arrow. 1 3/4 turns seems secure to me but what do others think? I try to check my broadheads to make sure they're secure before I hunt but sometimes I forget. I know the walk to the stand can sometimes loosen the broadhead.

·
Just shoot it!!!
3,178 Posts
If a manufacturer makes an inferior product and the consumers find fault with it, the manufacturer should listen. There is no excuse for two or more companies making “go together” products and not have them be compatible. If the product is not corrected ASAP, then there is negligence. Archery components should match to perfection, if they don’t is downright dangerous. I will not use any broadhead that just catches by a hair. My safety comes first.

Monty53

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Can't do anymore than that George,I hope they wake up at "Rocket" before this hurts them!!!
I have the 125's Steelheads,and the head turns 4 full turns on my Beman ICS 340's,and seem to be staying tight.
Maybe everyone here shooting Rockets need to check their heads closely before they go hunting with them.....;)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Just a point from a machinist, and machine shop Quality managers perspective.

I would not accept any less than 4 full turns, in standard machine shop practices that is the minimum to be considered providing a positive holding capability.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Sounds like Rocket will get this corrected by next year! I sure hope so that is a great broadhead.

Anyway yes the GKF mechanical heads are Rockets. Rocket sells them to GKF & then GKF repacks them, adds a sticker & then sells them to the consumer. Nothing major with this, other companies have sold the rockets as well under their own name.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well I finally had to check my setup to see what the deal is here. Beman ICS 400 arrow with Wasp Jackhammer. 9 full turns. wow, I see now why people are upset if only getting 1 3/4 turn.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
with my carbon force i am getting 3 1/2 turns and holding well i talked to another who was shooting goldtips and he also had the problem george did with maybe a 1/2 thread to hold. i too hope that rocket get's this problem fixed also as i am a big fan of rocket
rob k

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I hope Rocket gets them straightened out, also - they've worked so well for me that I really don't want to discontinue their use... I also have to admit, I found Eric MUCH more cooperative this time around...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ya'll want some one to blame all this on,blame me.I switched to mechanical heads for the first time this year.Guess what head I chose.thats right....Rocket steelhead 100 grs.I get 3 1/2 turns with the ones I have,but they may be older heads.Hope they get it fixed soon.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Customers count?!

George,
Maybe Eric finally figured out that customers' opinions do matter. What a concept! Rocket has seemed to be able to continue to thrive regardless of their apparent complete disdain for their customers. Their attitude has seemed to be: "Screw what our customers THINK, we know best and they will buy whatever we make". Well, they were right, we did for a while. There is too much competition out there now (afterall a NAP mech head will probably do just as well as a Rocket) for anyone who wants to have a future in the industry to thumb their nose at their customers. I am just amazed that they have gotten away with their attitude for as long as they have.
Now.... IF they could make them as durable as they are PLUS figure out how to get them as sharp as a Thunderhead, we'd be screwed! We'd all just have to shut up, quit our bellyaching and buy their stuff.;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I went by my local archery shop today.We took two new model Steelheads (a 100 gr and a 125 gr ) and tried them in a last years Gold Tip.The 100gr got 2 threads and the 125 got 4 threads.He said he hadn't had anyone buy any of the steelheads yet.They just opened the store this year so his would have to be the new model.Two threads aren't enough to suit me.The 125's may shoot close enough that it wouldn't matter but Rocket should fix the problem.Also when they do we will still have to be careful with all the bad heads that will still be out unless Rocket recalls them.I bought 3 Rocky Ironhead XP heads to try today.They look like a good head and they dont have the rubber band blade retainer.The are only a two blade head but have a cut on contact head.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
oldreloader said:
I went by my local archery shop today.We took two new model Steelheads (a 100 gr and a 125 gr ) and tried them in a last years Gold Tip.The 100gr got 2 threads and the 125 got 4 threads.He said he hadn't had anyone buy any of the steelheads yet.They just opened the store this year so his would have to be the new model.Two threads aren't enough to suit me.The 125's may shoot close enough that it wouldn't matter but Rocket should fix the problem.Also when they do we will still have to be careful with all the bad heads that will still be out unless Rocket recalls them.I bought 3 Rocky Ironhead XP heads to try today.They look like a good head and they dont have the rubber band blade retainer.The are only a two blade head but have a cut on contact head.
I'm with you Oldreloader,I may give up on Rockets before I even take them to the woods...:(
I may get some 100 gr.Spitfires.I know they work fine,my Dad and buddy have done great in the last 2 years they've been shooting them......:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts