Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Target Butt
I've built myself a new target butt using jute backed carpet. This butt is by far the most extensive work I've done towards a decent arrow stopping device. It took 4 to 6 hours of work to manufacture this puppy. I used about 500 sq ft of discarded rug and a lot of disposable utility knife blades to cut the rug. Total cost to me for the complete set up was about $10 Cdn. since I used available scraps and throw-aways. I think if you had to build the compressors from completely new material you'd still only be out about $30-40 Cdn. All I did was cut the rug into 12"x48"x3/4" rectangles using a plywood cutting template. I then made two compressors using 4 pieces of 12"x48" plywood & 2x4's. The compressors were then joined by 60" lengths of threaded 1/2" rod, nuts & fender washers. I stacked the rug in between the compressors and tightend the whole mess up. I now have a butt the measures about 34" x 48" which means I need more rug if I want a proper 48" x 48" butt. I've now started trying to shoot a hole through it with my 3-49 ACC's and so far there is no evidence that pass throughs will be a problem. As a side note the butt's pre-compressed height was about 48" so I'd say the ratio of compression is 3 to 2 or the rug compresses to 2/3rds of the uncompressed height. I'm hoping that the large amount of work is rewarded with a truly low maintenance long lasting butt.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, no - not when the pic was taken :) However, when you load your arrow between the rest and the mole skin covered riser...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yep, made one about two years back only stacked them and let gravity do some of the compressing. Put black plastic over it to hold down the rain/ultraviolet damage and it is as good as it was when I made it. The boys next door liked it and built a big one for themselves.

The guys that live next to me eat, breathe, and speak archery! They caught the bug a few years back and I got excited and brought my bow out of mothballs. Anyway they shot at it so much that they said that it was wearing off the coating on their carbons. They got worried and put a rag bag in front of it. I know I have not shot near as many arrows as they have so I cannot say the same. For the average shooter, I would say it is a long lasting cheap solution to the target problem AND it STOPS carbons, not like some of the bag targets claim.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Here's mine.
Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts