Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the Under Armour as a base layer. I use the BPS RedHead Expedition Fleece for the outer layer.

I am looking for a good middle layer. would Ragg wool be a good one??

what do you guys use

·
Registered
468 Posts
Can't go wrong with wool

I really like my wool WindStopper sweater. Thick fleece is good as well, and easier to care for. I seem to have a mixture of them.

GregS

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Shell?

Maybe you don't need it in Texas, but it looks like you are not wearing a shell that stops the wind and moisture. Maybe your fleece has a barrier in it or you don't need it in your situation. If you do need it consider a good shell that will breath and fit multiple layers underneath as the weather and season dictates.

B

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I use a Cabela's MTP X-Scent Silk Wt for a base layer, and then I usually will wear just a pair of whatever camo I plan on using for the area I hunt overtop, for bottoms, for tops, I mix in a long sleeve T, and whatever jacket or shirt. When it gets colder, I have some specific colder weather camo that works well in a tree or on ground, and I slide in fleece under uppers and lowers. In Texas, I'd never use this stuff because it'd never get that cold that I'd need it. I also wear a neck gaiter at all times, to control my scent emmitted from my respiratory tract, but in colder weather, it also keeps your neck warm.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the Fleece I am wearing Stops the wind. That is why I bought it. people always talk about not that cold in Texas. Believe me 30 to 35 in Texas is pretty damn cold because it is not a dry cold.

I have been layering some shirt under neath...I want to go lighter!!!..that is why i was asking. something light and warm over the UA then my fleece

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
zwbonner said:
I know the Fleece I am wearing Stops the wind. That is why I bought it. people always talk about not that cold in Texas. Believe me 30 to 35 in Texas is pretty damn cold because it is not a dry cold.

I have been layering some shirt under neath...I want to go lighter!!!..that is why i was asking. something light and warm over the UA then my fleece
Been there, and live in OHIO now, so I actually know what you are talking about, and it don't get that cold for me personally. When you are out before the sun rises, and your hat and boots have FROST on them when the sun rises, we can talk about it.. :wink:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SEOBowhntr said:
Been there, and live in OHIO now, so I actually know what you are talking about, and it don't get that cold for me personally. When you are out before the sun rises, and your hat and boots have FROST on them when the sun rises, we can talk about it.. :wink:

So tell me Old Wise One.....What do i need to wear then

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
zwbonner said:
So tell me Old Wise One.....What do i need to wear then
Heck, I don't know, I just know it didn't get that cold in Texas to me personally. Fleece is a great option to stay warm. I always put a t-shirt between my baselayer and fleece when it's cold though to keep from getting too warm, so maybe you need fleece right on your base layer and outers over it. Fleece is about the warmest layering stuff you can get IMHO, so I guess it's jus trial and error. I shot my last deer last year wearing base layers, fleece and camo pants and long sleeve T, fleece and button up camo shirt with neck gaiter and hat, in 20degree weather. Fleece is great to me, and eliminates the need for heavier more useless layers of inferior insulating fabrics.

·
wolfey
4,118 Posts
What's your budget? There's tons of options and vary in price for better material and better fit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I use the Under Armour as a base layer. I use the BPS RedHead Expedition Fleece for the outer layer.

I am looking for a good middle layer. would Ragg wool be a good one??

what do you guys use
I prefer 100% virgin wool shirts for middle layers. I have a Woolrich thick wool shirt that has served me 30 years, still good as new. I have a newer Pendleton lighter wool shirt and an older (? brand) medium thickness wool shirt, that's also been in service 25 years. With the 3 combined, I've deer stand hunted down to low teens with a base layer and a light fleece camo outer layer. It's very easy to adjust by removing or adding layers. If it's colder, I add a heavier fleece pullover. I also have thick, wool army surplus plants to wear over expedition fleece long johns for low temperatures. Wool sheds moisture, breathes, doesn't lose insulation values when soaked and lasts for decades, if cared for. I generally pick good hunting colors in solids or plaids, but I wear a camo shell over it. Add a camo Gore-Tex shell, gaiters, Gore-Tex insulated boots, and you can pretty much handle any cold rain or snow situation when hunting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts