Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
27,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking for some layering options. I’m planning on using unlined pants and Jacket so will need warm baselayers for underneath. What do u all recommend me to look at? I’d like windproof and warmth for mid to late season

· Pay It Forward
27,093 Posts
Sitka's Dakota set - unreal as a layer. Can be found at several places on sale - I smply can't believe how many deer hunters don't even give the waterfowl gear a look as an option...the jacket can be purchased as a zip up or hoodie. I don't like the hood, but that it...also check out the gradient, biggest differences are the dakota is windproof offers some water protection, whereas the Gradient is wamer and breathes MUCH better.....they are both amazing pieces...the Gradient pants have foot stirrups and are AWESOME wader liners in the early spring and late fall whether fishing or waterfowl hunting...I have both sets and use them A LOT. If I were to choose just 1, probably go with the Dakota because of the windproof and water resistant features...I wear mine often for Spring turkey as well...love the pattern.

Reactions: smokin x's

· Registered
27,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Joe I wear dayone asat so everything I’m looking for will go under this. Are the ones u recommend a outer garment or worn underneath? Thanks

· Registered
6,112 Posts
Typically dedicated base layers wont be wind proof, you want next to skin layers to move moisture and breathe, but I understand why you need windproof somewhere if your outer isn't. I would lean towards trying to find a windproof mid (insulation) layer, something along the lines of what Joe suggested. They may be items that can double as an outer layer, but windproof really narrows the field down.

Late season for me starts with heavy weight merino as next to skin (once it really gets cold I will throw thin synthetic thermals on under the merino as they tend to dry a bit faster), next layer/s or main insulation layer/s I would suggest fleece, down, or some other high loft insulation (these can be found with windproof options)

My current system once it drops to the mid 20's and below is expedition weight merino (minus 33), followed by Cabelas stand hunter top and bottoms (when needed), Firstlite uncompahgre puffy vest (if it is needed), followed by Sitka Fanatic bibs and jacket. I also have a Firstlite Halstead grid fleece, which is discontinued and replaced by the Klamath which is now being replaced by the Origin hoody, and I just picked up a Firstlite Furnace top to add to the mix as well to cover all mid-late season temps.

I've worn a lot of "windproof" gear and I can tell you nothing comes close to the gore windstopper in Sitka gear, It literally is windproof no matter the conditions.

· Registered
188 Posts
Sitka's Dakota set - unreal as a layer. Can be found at several places on sale - I smply can't believe how many deer hunters don't even give the waterfowl gear a look as an option...the jacket can be purchased as a zip up or hoodie. I don't like the hood, but that it...also check out the gradient, biggest differences are the dakota is windproof offers some water protection, whereas the Gradient is wamer and breathes MUCH better.....they are both amazing pieces...the Gradient pants have foot stirrups and are AWESOME wader liners in the early spring and late fall whether fishing or waterfowl hunting...I have both sets and use them A LOT. If I were to choose just 1, probably go with the Dakota because of the windproof and water resistant features...I wear mine often for Spring turkey as well...love the pattern.
I was just looking at the gradient last week with some Black Friday deals. They look great

· Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
7,011 Posts
So looking for some layering options. I’m planning on using unlined pants and Jacket so will need warm baselayers for underneath. What do u all recommend me to look at? I’d like windproof and warmth for mid to late season
what part of the country?
how cold/warm mid and late season?

my layers, 15-20 degrees 2 weeks ago
top and bottom Poleyster base layer, farm store 15 bucks
top, thin cotton shirt, fleece lined flannel shirt, carried insulated coat to stand
bottom, thin pair of sweats, carried insulated bibs to stand.

these polyester base layers were as warm as any wool base layers I have owned

· Registered
27,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m in Pa. Can’t be anywhere from 80 degrees to 0 lol. I’m looking for stuff from 40-0 degrees. I’m looking for a base and mid layer without spending a ton of money if I can help it

· Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
7,011 Posts
I’m in Pa. Can’t be anywhere from 80 degrees to 0 lol. I’m looking for stuff from 40-0 degrees. I’m looking for a base and mid layer without spending a ton of money if I can help it
see my post, Cabelas Bass Pro have the fleece flannel shirts on sale this week, was in both stores here and they had them right inside the door, comfortable and keep you warm. really

· Registered
317 Posts
I’ve been doing some research on this as well. I have a set of grey wolf woolens in predator fall. I love it except on windy days it goes right thru me even with merino wool as a base. I def need a shell to put under the gww. I’ve come up with silk longjohns. I’ve heard they’re really fragile, so prolly a no go. I’ve also thought about those road bikers. They aren’t wearing much and some of their gear seems to be fleece lined with wind barrier tech. Still doing research.

· Registered
31 Posts
I picked up a FL furnace henley off marketplace a couple years ago. Super warm in my opinion. I haven’t upgraded the long John’s yet but when I do I’ll be going for that heavy weight merino again. I hunt in NY with wind chills around zero F.

· Ad Meliora
21,353 Posts
I’ve been doing some research on this as well. I have a set of grey wolf woolens in predator fall. I love it except on windy days it goes right thru me even with merino wool as a base. I def need a shell to put under the gww. I’ve come up with silk longjohns. I’ve heard they’re really fragile, so prolly a no go. I’ve also thought about those road bikers. They aren’t wearing much and some of their gear seems to be fleece lined with wind barrier tech. Still doing research.
Didn’t you get windblock lining on GWW?

· Back down to ground level
18,528 Posts
Fleece shirts and vest is all I've bought dedicated for hunting camo. Warm around low 40's with light jacket or ghil/leaf suit. As it gets colder, carheart thermals, old heavy knit sweaters with sleeves cut off make great vests to trap air(those ugly x-mas sweaters are good for something), topped with a light sweatshirt to hold the heat in the sweater and block the wind. Get a heated vest and you won't need many other layers down below zero. Hands feet and head will be more of a concern.

· Back down to ground level
18,528 Posts
I've biked with just the leggens, booties, underarmor t shirt underneath and a thin windbreak nylon jacket over the jersey when in the single digits. Trick to staying warm with a constant 20mph windchill in your face is the exertion of the exercise. Stop pedaling and you'll freeze.

· Registered
2,991 Posts
You don't have to buy new and a lot of things will work just fine. I picked up an XL merino wool sweater at Savers for about $12. Also an ebay one for about $15. Down vests cn be found in all sizes and weights, at least where I am in Upstate, NY.

· Pay It Forward
27,093 Posts
Thanks Joe I wear dayone asat so everything I’m looking for will go under this. Are the ones u recommend a outer garment or worn underneath? Thanks
Scot - The Gradient is specifically designed to be worn as a layering piece, mostly under the waders and wading jackets for waterfowlers (at least that is how Sitka chooses to market them). Trust me when I say they can be worn as outer layers as well. The Dakota is similarly designed, but a little more so as an outter layer, but I would NOT let Sitka's design intentions dictate how you use them...the Dakota works perfectly as a mid layer, it's windproof, water resistant, and warm, it just doesn't breath as well as the Gradient. I wear mine all of the time under my Fanatic Lite as the Fanatic Lite is not windproof(n). In My HUMBLE Opinion, the Dakota has a much higher bang for your buck factor because it can easily be worn as an outer layer, I wear mine all of time during spring turkey. The material is durable, comfortable, and quiet. The Gradient is a little less durable, sort of like polar fleece lined sweatpants.

I am not sure why Sitka chooses to market these primarily to waterfowlers, a lot my buddies who have seen my set, end up getting it (or the Gradient)....if you shop around at places like Rogers, Scheels, etc...(places typically catering to waterfowl hunters) you can find some amazing deals. I got my entire Dakota set for less than a set of heavyweight merino base layers. Some of those sales make the purchase a no-brainer and I don't personally know anyone who went this route and hasn't been completely satisfied.

Lineman72 - you should consider the Dakota - before I sold my GreyWolf I used the Dakota under it all of the time...like you said even the slightest breeze seemed to go through the GW. My intention was to sell my original set and get a new set of GW with the liner that LTG asked about, but for the money I would have spent on a single set of the lined GW I was able to get much more: Fanatic Lite set, Toolbox, three beanies, a hand-muff, and two base layers (light and heavy). As much as I liked the GW and how responsive Laurie was, it just didn't make sense to me to spend on a single set, when I was able to add several degrees of versatility to my arsenal for the same $$. The Dakota is likely my most utilized set of Sitka gear because of it's versatility. If they made a windproof version of the Celcius midi that could take over and if they ever made the Stratus set in the Fanatic cut, I think it would be their absolute #1 whitetail seller.

Reactions: lineman72
1 - 20 of 22 Posts