Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been recently noticing that I am beginning to have no use for any hunting shows. I swore off the outdoor channel type shows. Then I went to YouTube like THP, THE HUNTING BEAST and etc. now I don’t even watch these guys anymore. I don’t have anything against them or any of the main stream hunters. I just find myself the more scouting and boots on the ground I do. The less they interest me. I have stuck to podcast a little and material from guys like Beau Martonik, Jason Redd, Hall Blood, Nathan Killen and Steve Sherk. Is this a common happening as you develop into your own ways and learning your area. Or rather bored with the content? Or just venting.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I’ve stoped watching most hunting shows. The final straw for me was one where the hunter didn’t even go to the stand with all his gear put together. He was sitting in his stand supposedly for a hunt. He reaches into his backpack pulls out a brand new pack of broad heads. Starts talking about them and how great they are. Then opens the pack and starts putting them on his arrows. I was just like wow I’m done with this crap.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,545 Posts
Welll there is another thread started a few days ago with guys listing all the internet. u-tube. podcast shows they like, some guys had so many listed I am not sure if they have a job or family's as it would take hours and hours to watch them all every week.

I watch blue cat fishing shows on u-tube every now and then trying to pick up a tip here and there

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welll there is another thread started a few days ago with guys listing all the internet. u-tube. podcast shows they like, some guys had so many listed I am not sure if they have a job or family's as it would take hours and hours to watch them all every week.

I watch blue cat fishing shows on u-tube every now and then trying to pick up a tip here and there
I actually posted on that thread but I was checking my kids YouTube action this evening and realized I hadn’t watch any of them in months Besides Beau Martoniks mountain buck stuff.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
They all start out good. Just like the hunting public. Then the all eventually sell out. I can't stand watching hunting beast now. Bowhunter chronicles podcast literally sucks tethrd balls, hunting public just does stupid stuff that bothers me.... like walk and stock whitetails. Gotta wonder how many other peoples hunts they've ruined by walking around all day long. If you scout and do your job, you don't need to act like a teenager and wander around the woods.

·
Registered
24,381 Posts
I watch a few to see some really nice animals....not simply to watch someone kill them. Most of the TV personalities either have deep pockets or their sponsors help get them to place that I cannot afford.....New Mexico elk, Iowa whitetails, Kodiak Island for brown bear.....so I live vicariously through their camera lens. Plus I sometimes draw my "air bow" when a deer comes in range to get the feel of live game during the off-season. Indeed many of them are nothing but informercials, but the ones I can tolerate are less so than the most obvious. During the winter months in the north when snow and cold keep us indoors, it is a diversion for being outside.....but I get it that the "script" can become tiresome.

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
Never got into any shows. The shows have nothing to do with hunting its advertisement for the sponsors. I don't blame them for taking the paycheck but it's just out of hand.

Reactions: Tr!F0wl and Pyme

·
BIG FRANK....
8,548 Posts
Did that along time ago, hate em all.

Reactions: Pyme

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ever notice how hunting stories on campfire are even better than seeing video or photos of the hunt? It's because hunting is exciting through actions and emotions, visually it's really just boring mush of green and brown. So good hunting video should tell a story and create immersion through picture, audio and narrative but most makers don't really understand it. They tell their best stories in the beginning but when subsrciber base starts demanding volume to production, the creativity drops and they turn into making documentary of their every hunt and suddenly it reaches the entertainment value of watching paint dry.

·
Registered
No gear at the moment.
47 Posts
I still watch MeatEater... the rest no.
I love watching Meat Eater. Great tips on cooking too. The biggest advertisement I’ve seen was the crew wearing Vortex gear. Besides that, I haven’t noticed Steve pushing anything on his shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tr!F0wl

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Hunting shows, DVD’s and YouTube are what’s wrong with hunting today.............I remember the good ole days before all that crap, way too many people in the woods or on the water that don’t belong there...........BUT...........they watched a video/show and think they do..........

·
Un-bannable!
2,215 Posts
If you've seen one, you've seen 'em all.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Like anything else, you need to filter what your watch and look for learning opportunities. Some shows are infomative, others entertaining, some not so much. I would definely favor time in the woods vs time on the couch watching others put time in the woods. Having said that, if you are new to the sport and cannot recognize a deer tracks, a deer trail, scrape, rub, or bedding areas, then probably some combination of learning from the shows PLUS time in the woods would be a good place to start.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
437 Posts
Once a season starts (Turkey in May , deer Sept. Oct and Nov.)I don't pay much attention but when I'm finished hunting I'll catch up. Only watch THP and the beast for the most part.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I like some, public land, fair chase hunting shows, occasionally.

I can't stand the hunting shows where they take ridiculous shots, just to shoot something on camera. They hit the animal too far back and then back out until the next day, after which, they find the animal devoured by coyotes. They're too many like that these days.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Beast is about all I watch. I used to love the hunting public, until I watched a video with Eberhart pointing out how much they hunt easy states. Then I lost interest. If I can't relate to it, I don't enjoy it. I don't care who you are or what skill you have, youre not going out everytime and encountering big bucks or getting a gobblers all the time in NEPA.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Beast is about all I watch. I used to love the hunting public, until I watched a video with Eberhart pointing out how much they hunt easy states. Then I lost interest. If I can't relate to it, I don't enjoy it. I don't care who you are or what skill you have, youre not going out everytime and encountering big bucks or getting a gobblers all the time in NEPA.
Easy states????? Wahahahaha!!!!!!!! Georgia is easy? Pennsylvania mountain deer easy? Ohio Public land easy? Apparently you dont do much of your own research.

·
Registered
11,187 Posts
Stopped a long time ago. The worst thing to happen to hunting was Outdoors TV where the MO is buy a big chunk of land, lock everyone off, and turn it into a giant deer farm.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts