Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hunting shows are what they are now. Back in the 80’s when I seen hunting shows , they were more based on the how to and not about the big bucks and antlers. The hosts would get excited to shoot does or even spikes. They discussed methods and game plans. It wasn’t about their sponsorships or the best places to put a pile of corn or what ever bait. I still have the original “ monster bucks “video. It’s funny to see how young Jordan and the gang were back then. Even that video was kinda old school with more teaching than advertising.

·
BowhunterT100
6,574 Posts
I really only watch, the hunting beast and THP. I unsubscribed to a bunch of channels just the other day. Kinda lost interest watching a lot of this stuff anymore, seems like most channels are a spin off others anyways

·
Registered
8,808 Posts
The only one's I currently follow is the Hunting Public, Clay Hayes, and Ryan Gills. I just have no interest in the others I've seen.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I do watch meateater when the new episodes are first put out and that’s about it. I try to take what I can from these people but I realized that my certain type of hunting. Mature Appalachian whitetail bucks is a very small club.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I gave up on cable/sat tv and only watch YouTube hunting shows. I never cared for Turkey hunts, but like the deer and even elk hunts. I basically watch THP and Primos whenever they upload new deer hunts, but really only watch them during the cold winter months when it gets dark early and I don't have much else going on.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yep pretty much cant stand all of them, most simply because they promote hunting and hunting can’t take anymore people. unless you are rich and have your own ground to hunt we aren’t getting anymore public land and with development ever encroaching places are becoming more and more crowded every year. Too many people watch the YouTube fanboys and then decide they can be the next big bad public land hunter by buying some trendy gear and going steep and deep bro! It’s sickening to ***** out hunting and wildlife for sponsorshi.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
I love watching Meat Eater. Great tips on cooking too. The biggest advertisement I’ve seen was the crew wearing Vortex gear. Besides that, I haven’t noticed Steve pushing anything on his shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meateater is good entertainment. Vortex and First Lite is all you see pushed in the show.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Only a few. I don't have cable so it's whatever I can find on Youtube or maybe Meateater on Netflix. I'd obviously rather be outside hunting myself but in the down times where I can't and don't have anything better to do I may put one on, and they are still better than watching most other garbage that's on TV nowadays. I also don't have a hard time ignoring the advertising and not getting sucked into becoming a fanboy. I do truly loathe the Lee and Tiffany and Drury type shows though. The kind that if they had their way would lock up every piece of property in the country for themselves and who will push every single sponsor who's check will clear, and in no way represent the average sportman or woman out there. I get it, they've made a nice living doing it, but that doesn't mean I have to watch or respect it.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I was bored last night and watched 2 Elk101 episodes and they were pretty good because they showed Corey going through days in a row with no bugle response. Was a nice change, boring show, but reality. Hiking miles, calling over and over and NOTHING. Was a nice dose of reality.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Yep pretty much cant stand all of them, most simply because they promote hunting and hunting can’t take anymore people. unless you are rich and have your own ground to hunt we aren’t getting anymore public land and with development ever encroaching places are becoming more and more crowded every year. Too many people watch the YouTube fanboys and then decide they can be the next big bad public land hunter by buying some trendy gear and going steep and deep bro! It’s sickening to * out hunting and wildlife for sponsorshi.
Do you think the popularity of shows like THP and the Hunting beast along with other public land shows are hurting public lands as far as numbers of people?

·
Treetop Assassins
590 Posts
I watch some of the YouTube ones but I'm a pretty positive person and don't often look for reasons to be angry. So I take them for what they are worth
LOL. Exactly. The people who get so aggressively upset about shows baffle me. I watch THP's Deer Tour because I find them and their style enjoyable, but tune them out during spring turkey. I'll pop in and out on Midwest Whitetail so I can live vicariously through Jared and Mike on their chunks of prime Iowa private.

And just so I'm properly representing the majority of the opinions on here:
  • Don't film yourself working hard, buying your own hunting land, optimizing it and shooting large deer on it.
  • If you do film yourself hunting public land, do not make it look appealing and doable to a broader audience, and only hunt a style that everyone is also doing.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I myself am not upset with any of their shows or sponsorship or anyway they make a living. I just noticed it becoming less relevant to me as I grow my own ways. It will break the silence of a day but it does bore the heck out of me

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Beast is about all I watch. I used to love the hunting public, until I watched a video with Eberhart pointing out how much they hunt easy states. Then I lost interest. If I can't relate to it, I don't enjoy it. I don't care who you are or what skill you have, youre not going out everytime and encountering big bucks or getting a gobblers all the time in NEPA.
That doesn’t even make sense. THP tries to add in a few different states each year. I doubt Zach would have moved to Colorado if he just wanted to shoot Iowa deer every year.
I find Eberhart a bit full of himself, if you don’t do it his way, it’s wrong.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I watch them but I don’t pay much attention to the gear they use. Specifically broadheads.

Awhile back I was watching Ted nugent. This buck comes in. Looks almost like another buck standing there. He shoots it. The deer standing next to it when he shoots barely moves. In my mind at the time I’m like is this high fence with farm raised deer? Then the camera cuts to Ted. I forget what he says but it’s something to make you think he’s just been hunting hard all year and finally... finally on November 8th or whatever day it was the stars aligned and he was able to fill his tag. Then if u look close u can see an ear tag in the deer. I’m like holy crap. Let’s not act like we just shot a deer of a lifetime after endless hours in the stand when it’s painfully obvious that he’s shooting farm raised deer. They Probly had to run the other deer off when they climbed down so they wouldn’t be in the frame of the trophy pics. I would just much rather when they hunt farm deer just say it. I notice it a lot on hunting shows. Sometimes before there’s any deer hunting even on video. You can just tell by the grass and everything. And sure enough it always turns out in the credits the ranch they are hunting is high fence. Also heard stories from camera men that they often edit out all the monster bucks and wait for a nice 170” deer to come along to shoot to make it not obvious they are hunting farm raised deer

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I watch them but I don’t pay much attention to the gear they use. Specifically broadheads.

Awhile back I was watching Ted nugent. This buck comes in. Looks almost like another buck standing there. He shoots it. The deer standing next to it when he shoots barely moves. In my mind at the time I’m like is this high fence with farm raised deer? Then the camera cuts to Ted. I forget what he says but it’s something to make you think he’s just been hunting hard all year and finally... finally on November 8th or whatever day it was the stars aligned and he was able to fill his tag. Then if u look close u can see an ear tag in the deer. I’m like holy crap. Let’s not act like we just shot a deer of a lifetime after endless hours in the stand when it’s painfully obvious that he’s shooting farm raised deer. They Probly had to run the other deer off when they climbed down so they wouldn’t be in the frame of the trophy pics. I would just much rather when they hunt farm deer just say it. I notice it a lot on hunting shows. Sometimes before there’s any deer hunting even on video. You can just tell by the grass and everything. And sure enough it always turns out in the credits the ranch they are hunting is high fence. Also heard stories from camera men that they often edit out all the monster bucks and wait for a nice 170” deer to come along to shoot to make it not obvious they are hunting farm raised deer
Nearly all of Teds hunts are high fence. He owns and lives on one. He’s not shy about telling you about it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Don’t like them. Hunting is not a spectator sport, especially for the non hunting public. The killing of an animal is not supposed to be entertainment. And it shouldn’t be used as a way to gain praise and glory for yourself. Love to hunt and thank God for the woods and the game and the memories made with family and friends.

·
Back down to ground level
16,353 Posts
Never watched much of them, none at all in a long time. Don't have any hunting channels and never watched youtube. Still see Jimmy Houston fishing on one of the channels on Saturday morning, but flip right past it. All of it is too commercialized. Rather spend that time in the woods. Watching naked and afraid is even better than watching hunting shows.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I like Steve Reinellas meat eater show. I’ve watched a couple good videos on YouTube on elk hunting, I think from the elk101 guys. Outside of that... who’s got the time to watch the million or so “celebrity hunters” trying to make it big these days???

21 - 40 of 63 Posts