Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Foam Collector
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made 2 sets of strings so far with my new homemade 4 post string jig, both have been for single cam bows. My question is, how is the best way to set up the jig so I can serve the end loops on all 3 ends with a 2 color cable? The way I ended up doing it was to set up my jig as a 4 post, wrapped the first color around the 4 post, served the end loop for 1 leg of the "Y" between the post, wrapped the second color, served the opposite big end loop (both colors together), took the string off the jig and but the second color back on to serve the end loop portion for the other color. Is there a better way without taking the string on and off the jig? Looking for ideas and opinions. BTW...both sets turned out pretty great considering it was my first 2 sets, had no peep rotation to speek of.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
set the post twice the length of the cable. only lay out half the number of strands. serve both ends like starting a string. then fold it in half. attach both loops to post# 3 (with 3 and 4 running parralel with the strut) have post 1 and 2 horizontal and serve inbetween post 1 and 2 to start the end loop. the first and second loops you served are for the yoke the last one is the end loop.
Quick example
I want to make a 35 inch buss cable out of 24 strands of 452x red and black
I start my jig at 70 inches, and layout 6 strands of red, and 6 of black.
I serve my end loops like I was building a string (except I make the loops a bit larger than I would a string.
Now I take the string off the jig. Post 3 and 4 run parallel to the jig, and I turn post 1 and 2 horizontal.
I attach the first loop to post 3, and wrap the string around post 1 and 2 and bring the other loop back to post 3 and attach.
I go back to post 1 and 2 and start my end loop serving. Once that serving is in place turn post 1 and 2 parallel, and finish serving.
Hope all that makes sence

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
set the post twice the length of the cable. only lay out half the number of strands. serve both ends like starting a string. then fold it in half. attach both loops to post# 3 (with 3 and 4 running parralel with the strut) have post 1 and 2 horizontal and serve inbetween post 1 and 2 to start the end loop. the first and second loops you served are for the yoke the last one is the end loop.
Quick example
I want to make a 35 inch buss cable out of 24 strands of 452x red and black
I start my jig at 70 inches, and layout 6 strands of red, and 6 of black.
I serve my end loops like I was building a string (except I make the loops a bit larger than I would a string.
Now I take the string off the jig. Post 3 and 4 run parallel to the jig, and I turn post 1 and 2 horizontal.
I attach the first loop to post 3, and wrap the string around post 1 and 2 and bring the other loop back to post 3 and attach.
I go back to post 1 and 2 and start my end loop serving. Once that serving is in place turn post 1 and 2 parallel, and finish serving.
Hope all that makes sence
+1 thats how I did it when I was useing serving to do my loops, the only reason I use my tag ends now is I can apply 100lbs to them while serving and I then have more equal tention on each strand before streching and have noticed a huge difference in breaking time on the string (went from 50-70 shots to 25-40)

·
The Foam Collector
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not quite sure how you have your post labeled, is it 1,2,3,4 in a clockwise order? I'm a little confused....sorry.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well the Little Jon is a three post system. But, for a four post system, I would basically make the cable like a string except have all the tags on the same end of the jig. Then I would wrap the loop serving around this end for the cam connection and seperate the cable in half on the other end and do the split serving.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Well the Little Jon is a three post system. But, for a four post system, I would basically make the cable like a string except have all the tags on the same end of the jig. Then I would wrap the loop serving around this end for the cam connection and seperate the cable in half on the other end and do the split serving.
same here this seems to be the easiest way to do it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts