Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to shoot a 60-70lb bow at 60lbs or a 50-60 at 60lb? looking for a used bow to shoot 3d but everything i like is 60-70 . I realy want a 50-60

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Its better to shoot a bow at or near max weight...they are designed to meet specs this way.
Backing a bow off 10# can make the draw length long, brace height increase, axle to axle spec short.
Sure you can tune a bow thats backed down...but it is better to purchase one with the preferred draw weight at or near its max.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
If you want to shoot 60 lbs then get a 50-60. The bow is spec'd at its maximum draw weight.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Is it better to shoot a 60-70lb bow at 60lbs or a 50-60 at 60lb? looking for a used bow to shoot 3d but everything i like is 60-70 . I realy want a 50-60
Then wait for a 50-60. If you don't you will never be happy. I've been told by very smart and expirianced archers, that the differance is so small that a 10 time world champion could not gain an advantage with one over the other.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats whats I though but I figured the smarter than me people here could reassure that. Shot a 194 on a 20 target coarse yesterday with my lil bmxs , its a fun family outing . Now ive got the bug bad for a lil better target bow

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
For a bow your going to shoot alot , I would go 50-60 . I made the switch , and now i can shoot all day if i want to .

·
AIM SMALL-MISS SMALL!!
5,277 Posts
I like 65 pounds so I had to go with a 70 pound bow

·
Comp Target/ Gear mod
5,858 Posts
Honestly, It doesn't matter THAT much. so you gain a little brace....VERY little. Or loose a little ATA (even less) the arrow is still going to go where you point it (though perhaps a couple fps slower).
Benefit to the 60-70# limbs....over time they will become 58-68# limbs....better than 48-58# limbs if your looking to shoot 60#

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Actually with the efficiency of today's bows, shooting a 70lb bow at 60 is just fine. Yes the specs will change slightly, but the performance of the bow will not be negatively affected. Some manufacturers have even recently found that 70lb limbs are faster even when turned down, so a 70 at 60 shoots an IBO arrow faster than a 60 at 60.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats interesting rutnstrut, never thought of it that way . Seriously to the beat the dead horse and use the search engine responses, if you dont like the topic dont respond. Alot of people including myself use this sight for useful info from people whom are more knowledgeable.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
What"s wrong with your bow madness?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a thing,Ilove the lil bow for hunting. But,snatching back 70lbs gets hard to pull back and hold for 20-30 shots .

·
Registered
178 Posts
I shoot a 50-60 bc my back problems so its set at 55#. I wont go down in weight but I know and feel good about my max being 60# and being able to shoot anytime without my back acting up.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts