Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for adding to the vast number of broadhead tuning questions...

Just want to get some opinions before I <gasp!> start dropping my poundage...

I'm shooting a Switchback LD at 32", 70 lbs. Goldtip 7595 XT Hunters with Muzzy 100 3-blades.

Paper tuning, etc., I'm right on. Field points shoot great out to 50yds.

I put the broadheads on and consistently shooting 6" to the right.

So, according to the Easton guide, I've got a few options. Lower weight (not desirable), move rest outboard, etc.

I tried moving the rest and got it dead on - then went back to the field tips and was 6" left - so it's not the rest...

Am I asking too much from my arrows? Is the answer to drop back on the bow weight? Guess I might try my wife's 85 grain NAP's just for comparison sake...

Thanks,

LAXPatrick

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had similar problems. I have 32" drawlength with 29.5" arrow length. The Muzzy's were hard to get in there. Have you checked the FOC on your arrows? For me, I had to go with a 14% by adding brass washers. Surprisingly, it really made a difference and put them pretty close to field points. For whatever reason, the 4 blade seem to fly a lot better than the three. I switched to the Slick Tricks and havent looked back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... did the math

... and I got the following:

32-5/8 divided by 2 = 16-5/16
Balance point is 13-7/8 from insert end
16-5/16 minus that is 2-7/16
32-5/8 divided by that is 13.38 and change

So I should be within an acceptable range for my percentage.

I looked at trimming the shafts down a bit, but I really wouldn't gain enough (in fact I couldn't really do it because of the inserts that are already in 'em).

So - now I'm down to the culprit being either too little spine in the old 7595's for my bow at 70lbs. actual, or too much power for said spine. Guess my next step is to dial down the poundage and see how that affects it. If that doesn't yield satisfactory results, I'm going to have to experiment with broadheads. I'll try the 85 grain ones tomorrow before I monkey with anything...

LAXPatrick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts