Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the best one to get?
My club wants me get one. If you have one that you like Please let me know, we would like it to be EZ to run and fast.
tell me where you can purchase it too..

The Hood

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Hoodster, I've seen one in the Martin catalogue - sorry I'm not too familiar with it. Hopefully some one can help you out better.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
league

The Hood
you don't need to purchase a league program to run a league.
I have been involved in running a indoor league, (handicap), for over 15 years and have had no trouble either running or setting it up.
1. What type of league ?
2. Shooting styles ? Any shooting style is what I use, bare bow
to release and all inbetween.
3. Teams ? I use 5 person teams.
4. How many ?
5. How many weeks ?
6. Handicap ? We used 80% and this year we will use 100% handicap.
Rules ? How averages is a part of the rules.
7. Shooting schedule. We use 12 weeks
8. Cost per archer ?

Pm me and I can e-mail you ours.
There is some information on my web site @ :

http://home.earthlink.net/~baswb/archery/

·
Registered
245 Posts
Me Too

I did mine last year in Access. I just wish I knew the program a little better so I could make it its own stand alone program. I know Access can do that I just don't know how. I'm thinking of shelling out the 100 bucks for the Martin program this winter or trying to finish this mess I started in Access. I suppose if I finished the League Manager off in Access I could probably sell it for 5 bucks a pop and make a fortune...:D

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Q2XL, Have you considered sharing what you have? Someone here might be able to build a GUI for you or even port it to another db such as MySQL which is free ;) and better yet is frequently used as a website engine. In fact I know that this forum uses MySQL to work. Any webheads wanna tackle this?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I made mine in excel, it's currently set-up for 15 archers 30 week Vegas league.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
russ;

"Someone here might be able to build a GUI for you or even port it to another db such as MySQL which is free and better yet is frequently used as a website engine."

Sounds like overkill to me. Unless you had thousands of people in your club, MySQL or Postgres would be more effort than it is worth. It isn't that hard to make up a PhP/MySQL web enabled database, but I don't see the point, unless you were going to host it somewhere and for the cost I doubt many would do it. You could run MySQL as a service on a workstation and program a front end with a GUI, but that is a lot of work - its just as easy to use MS Access as a front end to MySQL, and as such its just as easy to just use a MS Access *.mdb.

MS Access is a better fit for this size of DB, with all the functionality someone entering scores for < 100 people. It's easy to knock off an MS Access DB in less than a half an hour for a league management, and still generate some good looking reports.

-CG

·
Registered
945 Posts
Robby
I am using the Maritan software and like it so far , it is very easy to set up and use. I feel that using the windows printing manager is a loss though, ( haven't figured it out yet ) on how to set up the printer to print what I want. but everthing works on the screen when using the software.

was a good choise for me

John

·
Martin Pro Staff
1,804 Posts
Web Service?

Would any of you be willing to pay for a web-based program to run you leagues for a flat fee per league or something along that nature? All you would need is internet access.

Clay

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
CG,

You're quite right, Access is probably fine for what most people are doing but I was actually leading somewhere with it. I think life be a lot easier for the AT webheads if they had such a set up for the AT leagues don't you?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Russ;

Being that there is always a cost involved for development, support and hosting...I would say no. At the same time you wouldn't get anymore functionality than using MS Access.

If you mean that GRIV should have it developed and implemented for AT and its leagues, that would be GRIV's call. Again he would have to absorb the cost, and I doubt that 1% of the participants would actually pay for an online league. Martin already has an application developed for the purpose and it is easy to post the results as screen shots, why develop a second application?

-CG

·
Martin Pro Staff
1,804 Posts
How much?

How much would someone be willing to pay for an online fee per league?

·
Registered
245 Posts
League Manager

Hey Clever Guy, how clever are you? I have done the databases and can print out the reports, etc., but what I'd like to be able to do is make the front ends....anyone here familar with Acces enough that they might know how, or better yet point me at a good book or web site. I've looked around and haven't really found what I was looking for yet. If I lived in a bigger town I know I could probably take an Access class but I live in the boonies so its hard (but the hunting is better):D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts