Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of the 'same old' leagues, and so are our club members! Share what is done where YOU shoot!
How long is the league? How much does it cost? How do we get more participation?
Any and all hints will be wonderful! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Over the winter our club runs a weeknight league. It's not about anything other than getting people out to practice and have fun shooting bow. 10 weeks, and handicapped so the persons that improve the most during the season wins overall, not necessarily the person that shoots the most 10's or X's (although we do track actual scores as well for bragging rights, there's just no awards for it).
After the 30 arrow scored round, we flight based on the raw score for the night and there's a 3 arrow "shoot-up" in each flight for a chance to win twice what they payed to shoot. In previous years, instead of shoot-ups we did novelty shoots after scoring like a floating ping-pong ball, or card shoots, or lowest arrow in a "V" for $1 each and 100% payback to the winner of each round.

30 arrows is enough on a weeknight to get in good practice, but doesn't make for such a late night for those that have to get up for work/school in the morning.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm not a fan of how some places let people "make up" weeks missed the last couple days of the league. Its not really fair for people that go each week to shoot their score, then to have someone come in and shoot 5 or 9 weeks worth of scores in 1 or 2 days before the season ends. I understand that things happen, but 80-90% of the scores missed?

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,930 Posts
I'm not a fan of how some places let people "make up" weeks missed the last couple days of the league. Its not really fair for people that go each week to shoot their score, then to have someone come in and shoot 5 or 9 weeks worth of scores in 1 or 2 days before the season ends. I understand that things happen, but 80-90% of the scores missed?
We shoot 10 weeks and only count 8 scores. We drop the two lows. So, you get a couple of weeks for "things". We do this for both Vegas and NFAA rounds. Our 3D league is just for fun and we give away random prizes at the end. We don't even collect score cards.

Participation is good for the spots and REALLY good for 3D. We have had as many as 60 shooters for 3D. Most average around 40 shooters.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you want to see some well run leagues, go to Beloit Field Archers web site. They're in southern Wisconsin. Outdoors they shoot a field league and 900 league in the summer, and 300, 360, and Vegas leagues in the Winter. Shoot on the league night, or shoot ahead. No making up scores. Best run club in the state, as far as I'm concerned. http://www.beloitfieldarchers.com/

·
Registered
39 Posts
We shoot for 10 weeks, the first week is to set your initial handicap, then use a rolling 3 week average for your handicap the rest of the season. Its a small game league, so you shoot from 7, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 yards with a sitting down shot thrown in somewhere randomly in those yardages. I've been enjoying that league quite a bit!

·
Back Yard Champion
27,663 Posts
I quit shooting leagues 9 years ago. Our shop ran 5 week long leagues. By most all shops more than 1/2 of the initial shooters had dropped out by halfway through on a 10 week league. One shop you had to pay full entry fee before shooting a individual 3D 5 week event, $40.00. All 17 that started finished. I raised the roof for allowing -1- shooter to shoot the same range for 2 scores - that stopped that BS.

For indoor 5 spot field14 had one of the best handicap procedures. I can't find my copy. field14 also started having a 5 spot and Vegas mix in order to keep and gain contestants. I don't think it worked. Last I heard 3D leagues were all that being shot.

2 or 3 shops having Team 3D events about once a month. 1st place team usually gets a few bucks over their entry fee.

·
Registered
49,474 Posts
Depends on what style of league you want to shoot. I belong to a winter animal leagues at our local club. We shoot 2 different size animal paper targets. We shoot 7, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 yards. 84 arrows for a night. We shoot team score and individual score. Goes 15 weeks, with a club banquet in the spring. Just our night has 34 shooters.
At our club in the winter there is a different style of league just about everynight.
Just make it fun and keep it light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your leagues sound like a great time!! I think we will use parts of it! (not used the bragging rights 'thing' & most improved is awesome!)
Thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The whole thing is about getting shooters & money for the owner by having people through his business. . BUT, we don't allow that much makeup! We have a 'makeup' score done in advance that can be used for only 1 week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sonny Thomas, if you find your rules, I would LOVE to see them.
The 3D targets cost a lot of money! I would rather have just paper targets
Thanks for your response!

·
Socket Man
23,215 Posts
My bow shop is Midwest Archery in Springfield Mo and we run Vegas leagues because the 30 shots with a top and bottom line can be ran off in a nice amount of time with a short break in the middle. At the midpoint of the scoring round you draw a poker chip with a number and get paired up with another shooter and the combined score wins the money that night. This way everyone has a chance to win some money and we had a good variety of people get to take home some money last year. Our bow shop did have a couple nights where they grilled some brats and burgers for all the shooters with a soda and chips. Each night the winners got to have their picture taken and posted on facebook.

Overall this was the best feeling league that we have ever had in our area with a very wide variety of shooters competing.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,523 Posts
Anyone over the age of 16 that doesn't out score me gets harassed and anyone that beats me finds their sights drifting off after the practice end. The range must be haunted..........

·
Socket Man
23,215 Posts
One more thing I enjoy at indoor vegas leagues is when the scoring round is over we do shoot downs.

The guys who want to play all line up and shoot three arrows. The top score that trip to the target gets a "Set Point", first guy to win three sets is the shoot down winner. Now if there is a tie on that set point then the couple guys who tied get a one arrow shoot off for that set point before we start the second set and it is a closest to the center shot.

This allows a variety of guys especially if there are 4 or 5 strong shooters who put up 33 points on their 3 arrows to get a set and there will be lots of times where two guys shoot a 33 so you get to do that closest to the center shot. This is by far the best part of the night and way more fun than the scoring round by far.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,663 Posts
Anyone over the age of 16 that doesn't out score me gets harassed and anyone that beats me finds their sights drifting off after the practice end. The range must be haunted..........
Remembering this kid saying; "I don't care what I score so long as I beat Sonny." Overhearing such I gave; "What, you going to brag about beating a 68 year old man?" Well, now I can say 70 years old ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts