Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you fellas would be so kind, could you give me your best guess on these bulls so I can start getting an idea what to look for in the field? And maybe explain why he would score that. I'm not that great at judging elk just yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knev7wPWC2Q&feature=related
Nothing huge, but looks real nice to me. I just like the looks of his rack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AS9T_9VMB8&feature=related
This doesn't exactly look like a monster to me....but I don't really know. Looks like a big body, and a nice rack, but not a huge rack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X759Qj4G0Nw&feature=related
First one with the kicker. Not bad, but not that big? Second one....now that looks like a toad to me! The last two that were spooked also looked like really nice bulls to me. I'm just not sure what any of them would have scored. What do y'all think?

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
First impressions...

-high 280s/low 90s; front and back end not there.

-315 still short on the front end and barely has G5s.

-330-340 if he wasn't broken off.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob.

I would have guessed higher on the first and third. Kind of confirms what I've suspected about my elk scoring.

Anyone else?

·
Prairie Ghost
1,956 Posts
video 1 - little 2 yearold rag, 220's :dontknow: haven't looked at many that size for score

video 2 - not a lot of length in the front and back 280

video 3 - Bull #1 260-270, not much length, some mismatched points
Bull #2 nicer bull, 310, better even length on all tines, but G1 isn't hooking yet
Bull #3 nice if he wasn't busted, would be 340 but as is 300, great length on his left, and wide
Bull #4 335, good tines all around, good upper end length

·
Prairie Ghost
1,956 Posts
I see I missed the second bull in the first video. I was wondering why the other comments didn't make any sense. I'd say 280, better overall length, but missing some tine length.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
the only one I have looked at is the 1st in the 1st vid and It would be lucky to go much over 200. probably closer to 190.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
First impressions...

-high 280s/low 90s; front and back end not there.

-315 still short on the front end and barely has G5s.

-330-340 if he wasn't broken off.
I think Bob is a bit high on the first one....I say less than 225 for sure, and maybe 200. Think we're all in agreement on the others---nice but no giants. All the larger bulls suffer similarly: they are relatively narrow, have weak fronts, thirds and tops.

Look for fronts that come well out over the muzzle and 'hook' upward 3-5" at the ends. Thirds are often the real weak spot, even on AZ giants. Look for at least a foot here. Sword points (G4) need to be 20"+ on a whopper (about 40% as long as the main beam), and G5s should be about 60-70% as long as the G4s. Beams over 50inches wiill generally reach back just past the last rib when the bull bugles. Spread is less important in the overall picture, but wider than 40" for sure (about double the width of the chest in a head on view). Put all that together, and you're looking at a bull over 350, for sure.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I think Bob is a bit high on the first one....I say less than 225 for sure, and maybe 200. Think we're all in agreement on the others---nice but no giants. All the larger bulls suffer similarly: they are relatively narrow, have weak fronts, thirds and tops.

Look for fronts that come well out over the muzzle and 'hook' upward 3-5" at the ends. Thirds are often the real weak spot, even on AZ giants. Look for at least a foot here. Sword points (G4) need to be 20"+ on a whopper (about 40% as long as the main beam), and G5s should be about 60-70% as long as the G4s. Beams over 50inches wiill generally reach back just past the last rib when the bull bugles. Spread is less important in the overall picture, but wider than 40" for sure (about double the width of the chest in a head on view). Put all that together, and you're looking at a bull over 350, for sure.

Did you watch the whole first video. There were two elk in it. The first was a small bull but the second one was pretty good. I guessed 275

·
Registered
267 Posts
Any of those bulls would get scored by my 364 grain arrow that's all I know:wink:
Well maybe not the smaller bull if the herd bull was close by:confused:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Did you watch the whole first video. There were two elk in it. The first was a small bull but the second one was pretty good. I guessed 275
Ooops! You're right...appologies to Bob, too. Yeah, the second bull in video 1 is much better. Still, he's narrow, weak tines, and mismatched R to L side (R side G5 short because of the abnormal sticker on that side) so there will be significant deductions. He might gross very low 300's, but I'll guess he nets between 285 and 300...so Bob and I agree on him, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts