Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when hunting/scouting this morning and found a bunch of scrapes along a field edge back in a pocket, so i straped on my climber for the evening hunt but then i thought i would be a genis and place some small blanches at 20 and 30 yands out in the green field.... so we pick up the story at 4:00pm i get to my stand and every thing is perfect even the wind at about twenty to five i spot movement in the field its a doe, sweet now i got a decoy so i think, so she slowly gets closer and closer then remeber that stick at 30 yards she start blowin and stompen and of she goes, great. so i sit for about as long as can and dont see anything so i pull out my watch and it said 6:45 so i thought i would give it till 7 not long after that i look out in the field and see HORNS its a dandy 10 pointer working tword me so i stand up and get ready then he turns away so i sit down about that time a doe starts carryin on again, i look a shes blowin at that stick at 30 yards and the buck just stands there like whats your deal and she runs off, he just keep on feedin tword me then he sees the stick and runs off then there was an outher buck and he got about 10 yards from the stick and froze then ran off to.....
So the moral for the story is dont put sticks or small branches in the middle of a green field, they know there area very very well.:mg:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Who would have thought some much fuss over a stick.:confused2:

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
It wasn't the sight of the stick, it was how it smelled. They weren't used to seeing that stick there and as soon as you grabbed it, you might as well have been standing there....next time use a rubber glove.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Doc said:
It wasn't the sight of the stick, it was how it smelled. They weren't used to seeing that stick there and as soon as you grabbed it, you might as well have been standing there....next time use a rubber glove.
True dat!

Several years ago, while walking to a stand one early morning in the dark, I accidentally let a tiny little branch brush across my forehead. Several hours later a big doe came down the same trail, came to an abrupt stop at that branch, gave it one sniff and headed for the hills with her tail in the air. Any bare skin contact is a dead give-away for those mature deer (bucks or does).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah maybe

but it was not long before that i washed my hands in the creek and the first deer was not even close to it or down wind, but the live and die by there noses:wink:

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
pdcjohnson said:
but it was not long before that i washed my hands in the creek and the first deer was not even close to it or down wind, but the live and die by there noses:wink:
Creek is just water, it won't eliminate all your scent (oil based). If you gave yourself a good showering in Vodka, then that would be a different story....well maybe a couple different stories.:wink:

·
Registered
560 Posts
If someone put a stick on your dinner table wouldn't you be a little cautious about sitting down to a good meal......your in their house you probably learned something tonight...good luck with the rest of the season....:mg:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep it was the stick

went out last night with no stick in the field and had deer very close to me but none of the big bucks lesson learned

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Man if u want a crack at that 10 pt. i would hang tight. That is amazing, you would think they would not even care..makes me wonder about blinds on the ground, leaving stands at the base of the tree

1 - 10 of 10 Posts