Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned something tonight that made me stop and think. I have recently been shooting the easton Axis arrows. 10,9 gpi. SHoot great and i love em.

I am shooting a Bowtech old glory at 29" draw at 68 POUNDS. I got out my arows i have set up to hunt with and started shooting them with broadheads to make sure they all fly right on. Well the first arrow flew great out to 35 yards. Grabbed the second .flew like crap .shot left and low.Grabbed the third and it flew great. right on again, Grabbed the 4th and again flew like crap low and to the left. Grabbed the 5th and it again flew great. This puzzled me to no end. I change arrow nocks- tried evrything.
I tried both 75 grain muzzies and 85 grain montec broadheads with the same result
Finally I took these 2 arrows that flew like crap and turned the nock from the odd vane out to odd vane down and they both Flew great out to 35 yards,I have read about people floating arrows in the bathtub to find arrow spine hot spots on carbon arrows, I always though that the axis arrow was a good arrow but after seeing this i am somewhat confused .I dont feel i should have to do this with 2 out of 5 arrows to get good broadhead flight

I would love the response from the exeperts from archery talk to comment on this.

I hate to blame the axis arrow but what else could explain this but inconsistent arrow spine?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Might not be a spine problem

Were the arrows fletched in the same jig? Sometimes there is enough difference in the fletching, weight per arrow, straitness of broadhead to arrow connection. There are alot of things that could have caused this. The nock could even be a bit crooked, and when you turned it, it could have straitened enough when it leaves the bow it changed its tune. Good luck

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I dont feel i should have to do this with 2 out of 5 arrows to get good broadhead flight
No you shouldn't. I currently shoot Carbon Tech Cheetah's with 100 grain NAP Nitrons and Lumenoks.

ALL of my BH arrows shoot to the same point of impact.

I have (2) Jo-Jan Fletchers, BUT I only use ONE to fletch BH arrows.

The (2) arrows you have in question "may" be hitting the arrow rest,

So many variables, though.

Are the two arrows consistently shooting off?

What type of arrow rest do you have?

I used to shoot the Easton Axis, then I switched to the CT's, the spec's are 0.0015" straightness.

You may have gotten two BAD AXIS arrows??

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I had the same thing happening tonight with CX200s with 100 gr. Montecs. Two hitting same hole and one flying to the left about 4 inches. I turned the nock about 1/8th inch and bingo, it was in with the others. All three have always shot fieldpoints to the same point.

Go figure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
axis

i had the same problem last fall. out of 18 arrows i had about 4 that would not fly with a broadhead. all arrows were the same. although they ( the so call bad arrows) would shoot fieldpoints just fine. so i used them to practice and the good ones to hunt with. even with all that trouble they will be in my quiver again this year. best hunting arrow i've ever used. packs alot of puch and very durable. the good ones flew great with muzzy 100 gr. 3 blade heads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts