Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to archery and hopefully to bowhunting. What I'm wondering is, how does one go about learning how to hunt? I recently picked up a 2005 Bowtech Allegiance that I've been going to the range with, and am quickly improving. I had a lesson to learn the form basics and such which has been super helpful. So I'm getting great on the archery front, but am unsure of where to start on the bow-hunting front.

I'm new to Winnipeg, MB, so I don't know any hunters out here yet. I'm going to take the hunter education course (required to get a license), and apparently there is a bowhunter education class, but I haven't found much info on it yet.

Any other suggestions? I rifle hunted a bit growing up, but nothing more than ptarmigan and small game, or standing on the ice road shooting caribou in a herd.

I want to learn how to hunt properly. Sneaking through the bush, tracking animals for proper stand placement, that kinda stuff. Deer, elk, moose, and even hear there's turkey out here. I have no idea how any of it works, but am really excited about getting into it. I've taken the first step by getting a bow and have started shooting, but I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome to the world of bowhunting first off!

If you can find someone who knows what they are doing that could be one of your best options. Maybe there is a archery shop or sporting goods store you can just go into and talk to the guys there. Another is read up on basic techniques on stand placement, and patterns to deer and stuff like that. Then just get out there and do it. Practice placing and stand in a tree and shooting from it also its a weird thing the first time you try to draw in a tree for a lot of people.

But nothing can beat actually hunting. Drive around and find deer...watch them...ask permission at as man places as you can or find some good public ground. Obvious trails and or field edges where you see deer feeding a lot are safe bets. Also don't be afraid after getting permission or finding public spots to just set up a stand in a area where you can see a long ways and watch deer from there. Once you figure them out a bit move in closer.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Patience, patience, patience, PERSISTENCE!!!

Scent control is probably the ONE thing that I wished I'd learned about sooner. I'd been hunting for nearly 10 yrs. before I knew anything about it. Once I figured things out a little better, it all came together. Do a search here on Scent control and read some of the "routines" some of the guys do. Hunt where there are deer, if you scout and area and don't see much sign, then don't hunt it. You scout and area and see tons of sign, HUNT IT!!! Learn a bit about map-reading, and what creates natural funnels, and that will also help. Shoot that bow, practice, practice, practice!!!! BH (Broadhead) tune that bow, Doc's BH tuning thread is a great guide for even the newest of archers, and I've actually talked to a few target archers who BH tune their bows because it's a more precise tuning method. Most importantly enjoy your time afield, that is what it is all about!!!!

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
welcome to a great future. first off I'd find a few places to hunt. then walk them now and learn them well before season. keep shooting that bow and get you a good broadhead and make sure they fly well. you'll have more success if you hunt from a treestand and always use a safety vest. #1 rule in hunting is safety. #2 is to watch the wind closely. If a deer smells you, its over. You can also do a lot of reading on the internet. Tons of info here and lots of other places as well. Good luck.

·
A Man for All Seasons
2,715 Posts
welcome!!!

Welcome to the world of bowhunting first off!

If you can find someone who knows what they are doing that could be one of your best options. Maybe there is a archery shop or sporting goods store you can just go into and talk to the guys there. Another is read up on basic techniques on stand placement, and patterns to deer and stuff like that. Then just get out there and do it. Practice placing and stand in a tree and shooting from it also its a weird thing the first time you try to draw in a tree for a lot of people.

But nothing can beat actually hunting. Drive around and find deer...watch them..............................QUOTE]

x2....learn to hunt by hunting...get out there and enjoy......don't worry about making mistakes......that is how to learn

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more questions

Thanks for the advice! I found more info on the bowhunting education course here and will be signing up for it. Now to find some local guys who hunt, and who wouldn't mind showing a new guy the ropes. :)

:dontknow:In terms of gear, what is required for the basics? I mean, I have a bow and 3 arrows with field points and my bow. Some camo, decent boots, better arrows?, broadheads, not sure what else.

As for asking people to hunt on their land, how does that work? Like what do you tell people/how do you ask? And how do you find out who owns the land?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat as you are....

as far as asking permission its a matter of knocking on doors & I think it varies state to state.... we need written permission in Ohio.

I believe you can get topo maps that show property lines etc.

sean
I'm not much help but will follow along & learn too...lol

·
Arrow-minded Conservative
3,277 Posts
Do what I did

Live on ArcheryTalk!

Read almost every thread here in the bowhunting section, even though you won't understand a lot at first, and even though you'll be totally confused by all the contraditory statements.

Flip through gear catalogs so you can see what everyone is talking about.

Spend a lot of time in the woods. The woods should be your second home, not some strange, unfamiliar place.

Then go hunting and allow yourself to make all kinds of mistakes (but make sure you learn from them!).

PS: Make sure you know the difference between adequate gear and top-notch gear. Just because you can buy a 315 fps bow doesn't mean you can't be very successful with a 235 fps bow. You do not need every gimmick that's available.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
The only true teacher in bowhunting is experience. You can shorten the learning curve by hunting with someone with a few decades of bowhunting experience. Start knocking on doors and tell them you will help out around the farm or house in exchange for permission to hunt. Good luck to ya.

Find a county tax map. It has current owners and adresses, and sometimes ph #s. Go meet these people face to face, give a firm handshake while lookin them in the eye.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Try to find Sportsman Clubs near you. You'll most likely be able to hook up with someone to help you there.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great advice guys! I'm going to hit up some 3D shoots this summer to meet some people and maybe make friends with some folks that'll be willing to show me the ropes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts