Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is a property that is used for industrial purposes but is rural and is leased to a farmer to plant the fields on the property can the lease holder give the yes or no as to hunting? Or do you need to talk to the company that runs the operation?

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Depends on the contract. I would talk to the leaseholder.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Technically by law you would have to talk to the owner. The lease owner cannot techically give you rights.

But in reality, most likely the company doesn't patrol the land and doesn't really care what is going on there. If the lease holder is fine with it then you can just be his cousin or whatever who is hunting the land.:wink:

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Technically by law you would have to talk to the owner. The lease owner cannot techically give you rights.

But in reality, most likely the company doesn't patrol the land and doesn't really care what is going on there. If the lease holder is fine with it then you can just be his cousin or whatever who is hunting the land.:wink:
Technically, by law........it would depend COMPLETELY on the verbiage contained within the lease document.:)

Leases can vary greatly. I have several leases that give me complete authority to determine who may use the property for hunting.

Most farming leases are boilerplate documents, and do NOT include any hunting rights.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I think it would be considered "Sub-leasing" and, like rental leases, may be prohibited. Even though the company leased the land to the farmer, the company may still be held liable for any incidents that occur on their land. Both parties should be contacted before any hunting is done on the land.

But then I'm not a lawyer so this may just be conjecture and worthless advice...:wink:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Technically, by law........it would depend COMPLETELY on the verbiage contained within the lease document.:)

Leases can vary greatly. I have several leases that give me complete authority to determine who may use the property for hunting.

Most farming leases are boilerplate documents, and do NOT include any hunting rights.
You are generally correct - but here in IL hunting rights do go with farming leases - unless specifically called out. So unless there is something in the lease that says the landowner retains hunting rights - the tenant has the right to grant permission.

However, this incident is not in IL and I am sure the state law is different there. Best to check with both parties before hunting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts