Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to here some stories of how a property you leased went wrong.

I will start mine off as a example.

This happened about 5 years ago..leased a property in Fulton, Co IL around 65 acres two guys. This property was loaded with deer and turkeys...season started. When the agreement was made we were assured we would be the only ones hunting this property. Well at first we were hunting early bow season everything was going good we took a couple of does. Then around early November I was walking to my stand and saw a new stand randomly showed up with apples all over the ground. (Highly Illegial in IL). So we called the land owner to tell him about it and he said he had no idea who it was..so he decided he would post the property with a sign that said no hunting without written permission of land owner. Ok...so lifes good for a while did not see anybody or anything unusual until 1st shotgun season. Drive out to the property and imediately see blaze orange up in a tree. So we then once again call the land owner telling him this and he says to call the police. So thats what we did (Small town=small police force) called them and explained where the place was 5 min drive from them if that. They said they could not do anything about it since that was county property then they proceeded to give us the game wardens number. So we start driving back to the property and I dial the number for the game warden number was disconected. At this point we were really pissed off..almost back to the property enterance and a couple of trucks pull in the middle of the road. It was the guys hunting the property (Only thought there was one) gets out of his truck all pissed off and asks us if we were the ones calling the police about him on the property??? Yea exactly how did he know about us calling the police in the first place. Turns out this guy works at the police department and said he had permission to hunt there. We even showed the guy our lease agreement and told him he was tresspassing. So he apologized and left. Life's good right? Wrong...come turkey season we catch the same two guys hunting our lease again. This pretty much made our decission about leasing this property again..make sure when you lease a property make all of the agreements up front. Hold your ground if you can..

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
My dad and I got "voted" out of a 1500 acre deer lease for rabbit hunting on one of the roads... problem is we don't hunt rabbits. Sucks but it is what it is. The true issue is that my dad was the only original member of the club left and we had what some believed to be the prime spots. The club president, that my dad appointed over himself (as the senior member, he was offered the president spot but gave it up as his work schedule is weird and the guy he chose is retired and is at the lease most of the time anyway), brought up the vote.

Sent via dixie cup string phone...

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Had a lease with first right of refusal for the next season, lets say we didn't get the opportunity to refuse as someone offered the land owner a lot more than what we were paying. the land owner was nice enough to set us up on another lease unfortunately my hunting partners didn't want to pony up more money for 3x the land. oh well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts