Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how long is too long ? As long as it's stored properly (ie. not standing on end in a corner), can my wooden r/d longbow be left strung for extended periods of time without harming it ?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I have heard alot of guys leave them strung all the time. A bow strung is a weapon, unstrung it is a stick. I keep mine unstrung, because I have a grandson living with me. If he wasn't I would keep them unstrung anyway.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to leave it strung. But why not unstring it and be safe. It only takes a second

·
Registered
683 Posts
From the Bama bow website:

"You should always unstring your bow after 8 hours of shooting or sitting to allow the limbs to rest. You should always unstring the bow during storage."

I unstring mine for safety, so would anyhoo even without Nate's bow care instruction.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just wondering, thought on my days off, it would make it that much quicker and easier for me to practice. I have a small area in the house that I can shoot about 8 yards just practicing form and keeping the muscles in shape. Guess it's kinda lazy of me, but I know I'll be more likely to practice if I can just walk by and pick it up to shoot. Thought if it was ok to leave it for 3 or 4 days at a time (I work compressed shifts and have 3 days off 1 week and 5 the next), then I would unstring for the work days (work 12+ hour shifts, so bout all I do on those days is work, eat, sleep).

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I need to just keep the stringer handy though and quit trying to be lazy :) thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
it takes seconds to unstring a bow so i always unstring mine just to be safe. a few seconds or a few hundred bucks for a new set of limbs? although lots of guys do leave them strung with no issues im not taking the chance

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
My bows are unstrung. I keep my gf's and grandson's bows strung just in case they want to shoot while I'm at work.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Strung at home, never in the car. Selfbows whenever I'm going to take more then a 30 minute break.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think selfbows need to be unstrung.

·
Registered
18,284 Posts
and don't set it in the cornor on the tip.

·
Registered
151 Posts
natural material bows need to be only strung during use.

Fiberglass doesn't have cells to collapse and take a set so it doesn't matter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts