Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
177 5/8"
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's going to be blistering hot here over the next few days, and it got me thinking. There are times when I like to leave my bow in my trunk so that I can use it after work without having to pick it up from home. I've done this on a few occassions without any problems (thankfully :angel: ). I have a friend that recently discovered delamination in his bow limbs after taking it out of his trunk (black Camry) on a hot day. I've heard of this being a problem without regard to bow brand. It's a problem with composite limbs in general.

Should this truly be a concern for anyone thinking about leaving their bow in a vehicle parked in the baking sun? Was heat likely the cause of the limb failure. I just have a hard time believing that the bow manufacturers can't use materials that are more resilient to heat. It's inevitable that all bow owners would eventually need to leave their bow in a parked vehicle for at least a little while. It doesn't take long for the temps to exceed 140 degrees.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
484 Posts
No No No

Dont do it man! I never leave my bow in my truck for more than 5mins. and the truck will be running with the ac on. I take it in with me. I dont care where it is, if I cant take it in I dont go in! :eek:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i wouldnt do it. I know of several shops that wont even work on a bow that is still hot from being in the vehicle. I left mine in my truck once for a day..It messed up the rotation of my peep...string stretch ??? Maybe. I have heard lots of stories about blown up HOT bows.....I even notice how hot my bow case got from sitting in the direct sunlight.(black plastic one.) However I have noticed when useing a good padded soft case that it insulated my bow from some of the heat. That was about 5 hours in the back seat of a white truck. I sure would be careful about this. good luck Drop.

·
NC ASA Director
36,016 Posts
Leave your car running with the AC on. :p

Seriously, don't expose your bow to over 100 degrees and definately direct sun light.

If you can park under a shade tree all day and leave the windows cracked, it might make it in a bow case in the floor board.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Seriously, don't expose your bow to over 100 degrees and definately direct sun light.
uh-oh...last sunday i shot a 3d in 104 degree heat! :p :eek: :D

i would never leave my bow in my car in the summer either. i vote, don't do it.

·
NC ASA Director
36,016 Posts
thh058 said:
I would have left when it got to 99! :mg:

:p

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
sagecreek said:
If you can park under a shade tree all day and leave the windows cracked, it might make it in a bow case in the floor board.
IMO, I wouldn't even chance it with this setup. Depending on your part of the country, it could very well reach over 100 degrees inside the car, even parked in the shade. :mg:

The best thing to do is plan ahead and don't let yourself get in a situation where it needs to be left in a hot car. Regardless of bow brand, the possibility of damage is very real, even with today's bows. ;)

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
I had a limb delaminate on me about 12-13 years ago after leaving my bow in a car, left it in at night because I planned on shooting in the afternoon the next day, turned out to be one of the hottest days of the summer. Took the bow out and the top limb delaminated on me, since then I haven't left my bow in a hot car for any extended periods of time. Granted materials have gotten better since then however bows aren't designed to be baked :D . If it gets hot enough there's still a good chance it can happen, they're laminated limbs, and enough heat combined with the pressure they're normally under can cause delamination. Personally it's not something I like to take a chance with, I'd rather be slightly inconvienced with picking it up someplace than having to go through getting new limbs and being without a bow.

·
Registered
468 Posts
well...

I just take mine into the office with me...I have 2 here right now.

:)

·
Registered
425 Posts
thh058 said:
Last September while antelope hunting, it was 114 degrees in the blind. I had about a gallon of water and wasnt sure if I should drink it or cool down my bow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts