Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to my aging eyes I’m now left eye dominant, I shoot off the shelf right handed, my arrows are grouping about 4 inches to the left at 15 yards. Should I start shooting left handed or would a sight help? I shoot with both eyes open and wear bifocals. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have a similar problem except I test right eye dominant and am right handed. My problem is that there are so many floaters in my right eye that the brain sort of ignores it and uses the information coming from the left eye. I can force the brain to use the right eye but it is almost painful to do so. I don't know how to explain it, but once the brain is working off of the right eye, I can shoot pretty decent. There is another problem though. If I stop shooting to take a break, I have to start the whole process over again. It is quite maddening. I bought a left handed bow to try to learn how to shoot that way but just can't get motivated to stick with it.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Hunter08 you should definitely give left handed a try.

If there is any way to do it, try and borrow a bow or pay a visit to a GOOD archery shop and just try out a low poundage LH bow.

I STRONGLY advise you to just use a ground quiver. Getting set up so everything "flows" correctly from the moment you pull up an arrow to nock it will help. Its really kinda weird but having the arrows ready to go on the "correct" side of you for shooting LH helps a LOT. It reduces the awkwardness of the whole thing so you're not starting your shot already all messed up.

·
Registered
20,758 Posts
Hunter -

Assuming conventional shooting form:

If you believe that shooting x-eye dominant is throwing you 4" left at 15 yards, you're wrong.
15 yards, I'd expect the arrows to be off the paper. At 20 yards, you'd be on the target to your left.
Yeah, it's that severe.

Something else is going on, and we really can't tell from here.

Too many people have shot x-eye dominant and done quite well to dispute it.

As far as switching to left: It's on a case by case basis, and without knowing you and seeing you shoot, no way of making a call on that.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you guys who have a dominant eye only see one arrow such that when you shoot cross dominant the arrow is off to the outside with no inside arrow to switch to focusing on? I get two arrows from either the left side or right side.

·
Registered
20,758 Posts
W -

It depends on how dominant the dominance is. When I shot "instinctive" (right handed) for 35 years, my left eye was so dominant, that there was only one arrow with it's tail lateral to it's head, and I just subconsciously extrapolated the angle-off. The brain is usually pretty good at disregarding the weaker image. If you're seeing two arrows, the dominance may not be that strong, or your bran hasn't figured out which to use yet.

With a formal aiming system like using the tip of the arrow or a sight, it's just easier to close the non-aiming eye. Remember that target acquisition is 3 dimensional, but actually aiming is 2 dimensional (think rifle scope).

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My eyes are about equal dominance, tests don't work, I always have two holes and just have to choose to center one or the other. My sight picture is the same on the left side as the right but at this point I automatically sight with the inside arrow and don't really notice the outside one. I'm always curious about what others see in their sight picture and whether or not heavy eye dominant people would have an option of aiming with the "inside" arrow. I've tried closing my eye and it makes the arrow too focused, it's sort of disorienting and its hard not to stare at it. At this point I'm just aiming with the entire arrow but not focusing on the tip sitting on an exact spot, I can see where it's going as long as my form is right. If I were to close my left eye, put the very tip on a specific point and aim hard my form would disappear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m fairly new to traditional,I’ve shot compound for years, could it be arrow spine? Or maybe I’m light on the tip? I’m shooting 30lbs. 400 spine with a 125 field point. I’m grouping about 6 inches but the group is 4 inches left of spot I’m aiming at. Arrows are fletched with 3 3 inch feathers. I’m shooting cock vane out. Thanks for any and all help. I don’t know any traditional shooters in my area.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I’m fairly new to traditional,I’ve shot compound for years, could it be arrow spine? Or maybe I’m light on the tip? I’m shooting 30lbs. 400 spine with a 125 field point. I’m grouping about 6 inches but the group is 4 inches left of spot I’m aiming at. Arrows are fletched with 3 3 inch feathers. I’m shooting cock vane out. Thanks for any and all help. I don’t know any traditional shooters in my area.
What area are you from?
Nick

·
Registered
71 Posts
Being new myself and trying to figure it all out I have talked to more than one person who "aims" right of the target, I also do it. If I close my eye and put the tip of the arrow directly on what I'm trying to hit the arrow is pointed left as my eye isn't looking straight down the shaft from behind the arrow because it's anchored on the side of my face. The adjustment is made subconciously and I know where the arrow is actually pointed by now, I don't perceive it as aiming off to the right side, to me it looks like its pointed at the middle even though if I close my eye and sight the point it isnt. This is not to say that it's correct to do so and I doubt accurate shooters do it this way but it could be what is happening to you. Eventually I'll probably have to figure out how to get a true point on the spot aim Id imagine.

·
Registered
20,758 Posts
H -

You're shooting 400's from a 30# bow????
Yeah, spine could be an issue.

AND/OR, your anchor could be lateral to your aiming eye and aren't compensating enough.

Without seeing you shoot, and "assuming" your form is solid, The quick fix (other than getting the right arrows, if 29", use 1716s/880-900 spine), would be forcefully aiming 4" to the right until your brain compensates naturally.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
H -

You're shooting 400's from a 30# bow????
Yeah, spine could be an issue.

AND/OR, your anchor could be lateral to your aiming eye and aren't compensating enough.

Without seeing you shoot, and "assuming" your form is solid, The quick fix (other than getting the right arrows, if 29", use 1716s/880-900 spine), would be forcefully aiming 4" to the right until your brain compensates naturally.

Viper1 out.
Thanks, the only archery shop within 2 hour drive does not work with traditional archery, I think I’ll have to order some new arrows, should I stay with the 125 gr field points?

·
Registered
20,758 Posts
H -

You're not going to get 125s for a 1716, and even if you could, there's no reason for it. Just use target points.
You never mentioned your draw length.
The 1716s assume a 29" arrow.
If you need a 31" (30.5" actually) arrow, then 1816s, and you can get 125s for that.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m a 27 inch draw, my brother had some 1916, 30 inch, we just refletched and now I’m shooting a couple of inches high at 15, I hope to get a chance to shoot more this weekend and play around with the nock point and brace . There’s a lot more to traditional than I thought. Thanks for all of your help Viper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts