Archery Talk Forum banner

Left Eye Dominate

1274 Views 30 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  bownutt2
I just figured out the day before yesterday that I am Left Eye Dominate. All of my equipment, bow, sight, rest, quiver, is RH. This is not the fault of the Pro Shop as I purchased my bow on E-Bay and all he did was set it up for me. I have been shooting RH since I purchased my bow in late October 08. I know this is a beginner's mistake and the fix will be expensive. What benefits would I be most likely to experience by switching to a LH setup? Do the benefits justify the expense? What can be done to compensate for this issue until I can afford to change my setup? Can I shoot my RH bow LH, or should I just start saving for a LH setup?

HELP!!!!!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2,821 Posts
this is my take on it.

I am a right-handed guy that is left-eye dominant. I originally bought a left-handed bow for this reason. Now I don't know the benefits of changing, but I talked to 2 different archery shop owners and got the same answer from both. They said that 3 weeks after they switched from right-handed to left-handed they were shooting better than they ever did right-handed(one guy shot RH for over 25 years)

Now, here are a couple some of the obvious advantages, Shooting with both eyes open, and cheaper to buy used (usually)

Personally if I was you I would put my old bow for sale and see what you can get for it in the AT classifieds, if you can get enough to justify buying a different lefty from the AT classifieds sell it and make the switch. If you can't get much for your right-handed one keep it for now and next time you buy a bow make the switch.

It will feel extremely weird the first 100 shots or so, but after that it will feel natural

Also you cannot shoot your RH left-handed, i think you might be hurting if you did

· Registered
4,220 Posts
Im right handed left eye dominate and shoot right handed (exception long guns).

Maybe im missing out but i shoot fine the way i am. No way i could afford to make a switch to left handed right now.

I know its not related but i qualify at work with a handgun and at longer ranges i cannot use both eyes open. I close my dominant(left) eye.

I havent thrown a round and have scored 100 for the past 10 years since graduating the academy.

Im just saying dont panic thinking you cannot shoot because your left eye dominant shooting right handed.

· Registered
5,525 Posts
Left eye dominant

I used to shoot bow hunter class many years ago and was left eye then and am still left eye today. I now shoot freestyle with a scope and lens. I shoot both eyes open as i found out if i block the vision of my left eye i can see the targets fine. I also wear glasses so i put a small piece of scotch tape on my left lens and now i don't see the targets with my left eye, but i keep both eyes open. I do the same when shooting out side also. Just find something to block the vision of the left eye of the target. You can use a black patch. There are blinders that attach to the bill of a cap also.

Or ya just buy a lefty bow if you can find one and shoot lefty.:thumbs_up AC

· Registered
3,243 Posts
Its a personal and physical choice. Roughly 15% of RH shooters are right handed, left eye dominate. We automatically convert all of the students we have in the NASP program to their dominant eye, and they flat out shoot better. Most new shooters are the same, they shoot better with the dominant eye. Your field of view and focus is better with both eyes open. I'm right handed/left eye and shoot right handed because after 40 years of shooting, I'm not strong/coordinated enough to pull the weight I need to hunt at the level I feel I need.

If possible, I'd strongly suggest shooting with your dominant eye. You'll like the results better. You can also stay with your dominant hand and just enjoy the act of shooting. It gives us something to talk/think about. I've always said the only people more anal than archers are reloaders, and heaven help you if you're both.

Best of luck and good shootin'.

· Registered
381 Posts
ok i have a question...i know someone who is right handed...i think right eye dominant but cant close his left eye...soo he has to wear a patch over his left one when he shoots right handed...should he switch to left handed?

· Registered
3,311 Posts
You would be so much better off to learn shooting a Left hand bow if you are Left eye dominent....you should be able to shoot with both eyes open, where it would be impossible for you to hit anything if you tried to shoot both eyes open with a right hand bow......you would hit way left.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
ok i have a question...i know someone who is right handed...i think right eye dominant but cant close his left eye...soo he has to wear a patch over his left one when he shoots right handed...should he switch to left handed?

If he is right eye dominant, he should be able to shoot with both eyes open. The problem would be if he were left eye dominant.

· Registered
1,833 Posts
You can shoot a right hand bow if your left eye dominate but it will take time to adjust. It would be much easier to start over with a left handed bow.

· Registered
2,588 Posts
I am in the same boat. I have been shooting a bow since I was a kid, and there are not many left hand kids bows. I had to wear an eye patch to shoot until I was about 10 or 11 years old. I have shot left hand bows and it just doesn't feel right. I you are just starting out, I would go left hand though. I shoot very well out to 40 yards but further than that I can't focus at all. Fortunatly that more than good enough for hunting for me. Maybe one day I will get a lefty and try it.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
I am left eye dominate and been shooting right handed for 50 years. I tried it left handed for a whole year and could never shoot well. The easiest thing to do if you are capable of it is close the left eye and go on about your business. the only thing you lose with one eye is depth perception and you should already know the yardage when you draw. if you can't physically close the left eye, use clear shooting glasses with a small smear of vaseline over the small area your left eye would be looking at the pin with. I felt totaly uncordinated trying to shoot left handed.

· Registered
398 Posts
I am also LE dominant and shoot right handed since I started. I am so dominant that I cant close my left either and I dont wear glasses so I have been using a shield clipped to my cap when I shoot to block my left eye. The problem I was having was under certain lighting my lighter colored pins fade pretty quick due to my eye dominance so I started getting into the habit of shooting before the pin faded on me which resulted in a little target panic. I thought about switching to left handed shooting because of the advantages of shooting with both eyes open but I just cant make the change now. Maybe the next bow I get I will give it a try but for now this is my solution and it works for me.

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm a bit of an enigma. I write left handed on a desk or table, right handed on a wall or chalkboard. I fish with both and I swing a bat or golf club and throw a ball all right handed. I shoot firearms off of either shoulder. But, I'm left eye dominant. Grew up shooting a bow right handed and switched to left later. Today, I'll shoot any bow that I pick up but all of my personal bows are left. The biggest difference for me is that I can shoot a left handed bow with both eyes open. Thus, I can follow the shot and see the impact. When I shoot right handed I have to close my left eye and miss the actual flight and impact (or lack of it!) I can assure you that you are definitely better off shooting left handed for that reason alone but I'm just as accurate either way and don't think that accuracy is an issue as long as your left eye is impeded- be that from closing it or using a patch.

· Registered
1,950 Posts
My neighbor is right handed and left eye dominant. We went to the range yesterday and I brought one of my bows for him to shoot (lefty of course). By then end of an hour he was looking pretty comfortable and he claimed to have never shot so good. Thing is he was also using my arrows. Busted one of my nocks:smile:. I think at the very least you should give it a try and get a lefty in your hands for a couple of weeks. I think you'll be surprised.

· Registered
51 Posts
Me too

I also am a RH shooter with a left eye dominance issue. I also should wear glasses, but don't (I can't shoot well with glasses on). I have struggled in the past and after a long break from shooting I might struggle a little to get back to using my right eye. If I shoot everyday I don't have any trouble with both eyes open. I have shot with one eye open, I also used to blink my left eye 4 or 5 times while looking through my peep. I will still do this if I have trouble, this usually gets my right eye to take over. When I was shooting, a hunter sight with large peep, at a 5 spot I had lots of trouble. Now I shoot a Super Ball peep with a small aperture and a scope (no lens, single pin) and I don't have any trouble with both eyes open. I have tried lenses and have not noticed any trouble there either.

· M4L
2,257 Posts
One of the Top Pro finger shooters in the country at one time was also RH but left Eye Dominate, His name is Randy Holland and he also shot this way with a release. At the time Butch Johnson and Randy would battle it out and who would win was anyones guess. Randy would anchor under the left side of his Jaw (fingers or release) and could then use his left Dominate eye. If you are a real RH and don't want to spen the big bucks to replace your equipment then I would suggest trying this. Good Luck

· Registered
354 Posts
I am left eye dominate and been shooting right handed for 50 years. I tried it left handed for a whole year and could never shoot well. The easiest thing to do if you are capable of it is close the left eye and go on about your business. the only thing you lose with one eye is depth perception and you should already know the yardage when you draw. if you can't physically close the left eye, use clear shooting glasses with a small smear of vaseline over the small area your left eye would be looking at the pin with. I felt totaly uncordinated trying to shoot left handed.
I'm left eye dominate but a right handed shooter. I just couldn't get used to holding a bow lefty. Interestingly, I shoot a rifle left handed. That feels natural, but the bow feels natural shooting right. I just close my left eye.

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Take if from a fellow right-handed-left-eyed guy: make the switch NOW! It might cost a bit, but if you ever want to get good, you need to shoot with your dominant eye! You really can't see the sight right if you are looking at it with your right, and thus you will not be able to shoot well.

No, don't use your RH bow. It just won't work. The cables are on the wrong side and such. Just sell it and get a new one.

It will be awkward at first (it was for me too) but you will quickly get used to it. I would even stop shooting RHed now so you don't make any bad habits...

Good luck with your shooting, and keep at it.

· Registered
13,757 Posts
this is my take on it.

I am a right-handed guy that is left-eye dominant. I originally bought a left-handed bow for this reason. Now I don't know the benefits of changing, but I talked to 2 different archery shop owners and got the same answer from both. They said that 3 weeks after they switched from right-handed to left-handed they were shooting better than they ever did right-handed(one guy shot RH for over 25 years)

Now, here are a couple some of the obvious advantages, Shooting with both eyes open, and cheaper to buy used (usually)

Personally if I was you I would put my old bow for sale and see what you can get for it in the AT classifieds, if you can get enough to justify buying a different lefty from the AT classifieds sell it and make the switch. If you can't get much for your right-handed one keep it for now and next time you buy a bow make the switch.

It will feel extremely weird the first 100 shots or so, but after that it will feel natural

Also you cannot shoot your RH left-handed, i think you might be hurting if you did
yes you can shoot rh bow left handed I do it all the time, it is actually easier than you would think to shoot a right hand bow left handed, and a left hand bow right handed, the exception being Hoyt bows... its a matter of how bad you want to do something.... yes it feels weird but is very duable.... and I have killed one deer shooting wrong handed and it was my longest shot yet at 33 yards..

that said it is always best to shoot with your dominant eye if possible,

both of my kids learned wrong handed because they needed too... son is lefty r. eye dominant, no lefty kids boys when he started... he is now 18 and a very good shot from either side with either eye.... my daughter is a righty but blind in her right eye,,, she shoots left and has from the start....

· Registered
445 Posts
I am right-handed and left eye dominant and I shoot right-handed. I knew this when I got into archery but bought right handed equipment anyway. I recently tried shooting left-handed because I wanted the advantage of shooting with both eyes open. I found it very akward, not the drawing or holding the bow but removing the arrow from the quiver and loading the arrow.

I found that shooting right-handed with both eyes open you will see two sets of pins. My solution: I keep both eyes open and just before the shot I squint my left eye but still keep it open and this makes me focus on only the one correct set of pins. It takes a little practice and concentration but it seems to work for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.