Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is not a brand bashing or to down the shop I got a bow from, I have learned to cut my losses when it comes to bows being a lefty....here is the story, I have shot high poundage bows 80# or better for speed and to cut back on trying to judge distance from the stand per pin...well I went to a 70# bow for three seasons and didn't like the performance so ordered a speed bow with 80 pound limbs the bow is bad fast but kills me shooting it....I guess I got older and the shoulder can't take shooting a bow like this feels like I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder, well I contacted the manufacture of the bow and asked about trading the 80 lb limbs for set of 70 lb limbs....looks like I'm SOL on this deal as well, whats sad I'm out 700 dollars and nothing to hunt with, I will never buy another bow from the manufacture which I supported and bought bows for 20+ years from.....the bottom line is bow shops should carry a couple left hand bows in popular models for us leftys to shoot and see if we like them, or the bow manufacture should send some demos in left hand models per pro shop for shooters to try....like I said I learned to cut my loses when it comes to bows but this is getting old..and expensive now I got to buy another bow or try to "buy" another set of limbs from the sorry outfit that will not help me out, oh well thats life....but whats sad once you leave a shop with a new bow it's not worth a nickle....and the warranty is not worth the ink that goes on the papers.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Dave Barnsdale will build you a set to what # you want
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You should go to a bow shop where the owner is left handed. He'll make sure you are set.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I feel ya man. The only bow I have ever shot is the one I own, which I bought online. I can't even test drive new bows because they don't have lefties. It sucks, but I guess we have to deal with it.

·
Occam's Razor
8,559 Posts
I feel your pain, number one reason why I only buy used bows. Nearly as good as new, and a whole lot cheaper. Heck, I would really rather shoot and buy guns anyway......they last forever, don't go out of vogue for decades and decades...................ck

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
....I guess I got older and the shoulder can't take shooting a bow like this feels like I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder, well I contacted the manufacture of the bow and asked about trading the 80 lb limbs for set of 70 lb limbs
courious how long had you been shooting 80 lbs?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I know where you're coming from. I'm a leftie with a short draw length and need lower poundage. I searched for nearly a year to find my current bow. Everything is 60-70# and 28-31 draw lengths. I understand the reason...largest demographic group of lefties out there. When you need 26" and 50-60# draw in left handed, there just aren't enought potential buyers to make catering to us profitable at all. And it boils down to profitability. The supplier needs to make a profit, or he can't remain a supplier for very long.

The upside is, when I found my bow there weren't buyers storming the shop for a crack at it, and they made the price rather attractive for me. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
625 Posts
hey i have a left hand mathews 27 inch 70 pound q2,ill sell ya it despretly needs a new string and cable,but ill give ya a deal,as im a righty:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bees said:
courious how long had you been shooting 80 lbs?
I will say 15 years give or take......I went to a 70 lb bow for a few years and didn't like it, I guess going back to 80 lb these old 45 year old joints can't take it lol....I guess getting older don't mean I'm getting any smarter lol....hopefully I will learn from this mess.:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wheels3563 said:
hey i have a left hand mathews 27 inch 70 pound q2,ill sell ya it despretly needs a new string and cable,but ill give ya a deal,as im a righty:)
Thanks for the offer....I hope I can work things out with the new bow....if not I'm going to look at all options and go from there, I usually take my vacation and bow hunt 2 weeks before the rifle season here in WV hopefully I have everything corrected before then...or another new bow if the wife don't beat me to bad lol.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Mo.

I am a lefty and here in the KC area their is a couple bow shops here that have leftys, but one carried alot since his wife was left hand.and if the bow didn't have the right limbs on it he would take another bow and put the differant limbs on it for you to try it out.sorry for your loss but curious what bow was it.:wink: :tongue:

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Yeah finding bows to test shoot is prety tough.

As for your limbs, I doubt any manufacturer would swap them out without reason, I wouldn't blame them for not doing it, same thing as swapping out ammo, who knows what happened to it before you tried returning it. Especially with very high poundage limbs as its very possible they have been dry-fired often when other people try drawing it back.

Hate to say it but your definately SOL. Buy a bow with 50 - 60 pound limbs, speed is easily obtainable these days with limbs in that range and it is perfect for hunting

·
Registered
410 Posts
Depends on what bow you have if your out $700. I know I can buy new limbs for my Bowtechs for $88 at my pro shop (if you want to call it that) I can see them not wanting to trade you limbs but you should be able to buy new limbs without having to buy a new bow.

·
Registered
170 Posts
??

Being a lefty, I don't understand the problem. Yeah it kinda sucks that they won't swap your 80s for 70s, but you did order it that way right? You should still be able to set an 80lb max bow to 70lbs. There are lots of very competitive archers that do not set their bows at the max poundage. I had a Mathews q2Xl that maxed out at 75lbs and I shot at 63lbs for years with great results.

You could also see if someone on the forum that has a 70lb bow like yours would be willing to trade limbs with you. In my experience the limbs on most bows are the same for left or right hand bows so I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to find someone that would want 80lb limbs.

What kind of bow is it?

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
Just like my posts this morning..........

I too get upset when service to a lefty is lacking, I understand (kind of), we "Southpaws" have to wait a lil longer but to be told we we cant have a certian model or WHOLE BOWLINE is pretty nasty........:mad:

Another reason why I think I will not be wander'n to far from Ross and Bowtech:wink:

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
STONE386 said:
Being a lefty, I don't understand the problem. Yeah it kinda sucks that they won't swap your 80s for 70s, but you did order it that way right? You should still be able to set an 80lb max bow to 70lbs. There are lots of very competitive archers that do not set their bows at the max poundage. I had a Mathews q2Xl that maxed out at 75lbs and I shot at 63lbs for years with great results.

What kind of bow is it?
The reason it sux being a lefty is if he could have foudn the same bow model in Left handed to shoot at a local pro-shop he would have know that he couldn't draw more then 70 pounds without pain and would have looked elsewhere.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
This is one of the reasons I buy Martins. I have found them to have a very wide draw range and poundage adjustment. I have also found they offer a lot of bow for the money. The last bow I bought was a Cougar 4 SE with Dyna-Cam. It came with all the draw modules they offer. Plus the modules can be adjusted on either side of the main module length by 1/2" without changing the let-off. I really wanted the Tru-Arc+ cam, but I believe I will keep the Dyna-Cam. I only use the bow for hunting. So, it will spend most of its live on hanging on the wall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Being LH has its drawbacks

I agree it sucks not being able to go to a bow shop and compare all the different models. The last bow I bought was about 5 years ago (whenever Mathews came out w/ the Q2). I went to 3 different bow shops trying to decide which bow to get. One shop had a PSE in LH which I was able to shoot. It would have been nice though to compare it to the handful of other bows I was interested in. I wound up just ordering a Q2 based off Mathew's reputation. I have been pleased with my decision but how do I know that other models from Mathews, Martin, PSE, etc. would not have worked better for me. If you come to a forum like this and ask opinions on serveral bows the most repeated answer you get is "just go and try them all and see with one fits you best". I would love to do that but am at the mercy of what the bow shop has. Every bow I have bought I have ordered blindly and hoped for the best. The only bow I regreted buying was an Oneida Aero Force. It would have been nice to have shot that one before I bought it.

Brazos

1 - 20 of 25 Posts