Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sighting in a bow that keeps missing left. Adjust pins left to a certain point. Then after that it gets closer, but after a certain point it gets worse. Then it keeps missing left. The furthur I move the pins left beyond this point the furthur it misses left?

Guess i need to read my tuning guide.

Im guessing I need to "center my arrow"?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
doogy_7 said:
Sighting in a bow that keeps missing left. Adjust pins left to a certain point. Then after that it gets closer, but after a certain point it gets worse. Then it keeps missing left. The furthur I move the pins left beyond this point the furthur it misses left?

Guess i need to read my tuning guide.

Im guessing I need to "center my arrow"?

Any suggestions?
Aim to the right? Kissing....

But seriously. A consistently off shot might be that your form is flawed to a point When I moved to mechanical release, I was shooting right. I adjusted the sight, still shot right, adjusted it. still shot right. Figured out I was 'pulling' my trigger and causing a right tweak on release. Concentrated on my form, started at 10 yards and moved my pins back to where they belonged as I increased my distance.. concentrating on my form.

Now as my form has improved considerably, I am finding I shoot a little left.
NOW, I think it is because my bow is actually set a little left, as I was previously unknowingly trying to compensate for my bad form. With my form a lot better, I'll be micro-tweaking my set-up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a timberline no-peep installed on this bow. It will let me know if I have any bow torque. And according to it I dont. Besides If it is a form problem could I be putting 3 arrows into a 1/2" circle everytime, but still missing left?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bushbuck said:
This does not happen to be a blue color bow does it?

Not for sure what you mean by blue color.

alpine ravage
beaman 400 arrows
62 lbs draw weight
wisker biscut rest
mechanical release

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It could be a number of things: loose sight, loose sight pins, loose sight mounting bracket, the rest could be moving or you could be using a different grip each time. ;)

The first thing I would do is double-check all screws, etc. and make sure they're locked down tight. Then I would measure everything, rest position, a2a, bh, sight position, etc. Then, when the bow starts shooting left again, remeasure and verify that nothing is moving.

Last but not least, you definitely could be torquing the bow with that no-peep and not know it. Have you tried shooting without it and see if the problem goes away? :eek:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
f1maxis said:
It could be a number of things: loose sight, loose sight pins, loose sight mounting bracket, the rest could be moving or you could be using a different grip each time. ;)

The first thing I would do is double-check all screws, etc. and make sure they're locked down tight. Then I would measure everything, rest position, a2a, bh, sight position, etc. Then, when the bow starts shooting left again, remeasure and verify that nothing is moving.

Last but not least, you definitely could be torquing the bow with that no-peep and not know it. Have you tried shooting without it and see if the problem goes away? :eek:
I had the same problem before I put the no-peep on. I am pretty sure everything is tight but I will double check.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check your eyes. You are potentially suffering from an eye dominance issue. Do you shoot with both eyes open or just shooting eye?

I have recently experienced some loss of sight in the my right shooting eye. With both eyes open I have 20/20 but most of that is comming from the left eye. The result when shooting my bow was while my right eye was looking through the peep and sighting my target my left eye was doing most of the interpretation of the target and hence pulling my shots left. New contacts and things are back to the normal.

Hope this helps...may be a shot in the dark though

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kavy said:
Check your eyes. You are potentially suffering from an eye dominance issue. Do you shoot with both eyes open or just shooting eye?

I have recently experienced some loss of sight in the my right shooting eye. With both eyes open I have 20/20 but most of that is comming from the left eye. The result when shooting my bow was while my right eye was looking through the peep and sighting my target my left eye was doing most of the interpretation of the target and hence pulling my shots left. New contacts and things are back to the normal.

Hope this helps...may be a shot in the dark though

You could be right. The problem did get worse as it got darker. I shoot this no-peep with both eyes open. I'll try it with my glasses tonight.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Are you peeking at the arrow during your release? It seems as though you adjust left and you just keep pushing the system left without resolve. Even if your bow is way out of tune, adjusting the sight left at a specific yardage should put your closer to your point of aim, not a continuous left. It sounds like a form thing. Try to concentrate on your follow-through without watching the arrow, just concentrate on that spot and see if your left disappears or decreases.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
doogy_7 said:
You could be right. The problem did get worse as it got darker. I shoot this no-peep with both eyes open. I'll try it with my glasses tonight.
I use the NO-Peep also. I have to have vision correction to see the pins, I use contacts, but I have to only use my master eye while aiming. The other eye does nothing for me. Now, I am not saying I have it closed, but I feel that I am disregarding any thought of it in my vision. At any rate, it is what I feel confortable with everytime.

Are you shooting with a totally open bow hand through follow thru?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Deezlin said:
I use the NO-Peep also. I have to have vision correction to see the pins, I use contacts, but I have to only use my master eye while aiming. The other eye does nothing for me. Now, I am not saying I have it closed, but I feel that I am disregarding any thought of it in my vision. At any rate, it is what I feel confortable with everytime.

Yeah I leave my hand total open. Also, I have just learned to shoot with both eyes open. I close my eyes when I draw sometimes. Then when I come to full draw and anchor I open them. This way I make sure that I have the no-peep where I want it. The I simply put the pin on the target and shoot. Although I will say my pins seem to be to the right of my string. They are not close enough to the string to put them right next to it. I just settle pin, relax and fire. Again consistancy is not even a issue. I dont think I could be any more consistant.

I'll also double check the no-peep tonight, and make sure none of the set screws have come loose.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
coak said:
are you pressing the string into your face? Often string ossilation will cause misses to the left.
No, the string stops just short of the tip of my nose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Deezlin said:

I agree with you completely....however I found do to the loss of vision in my master eye which resulted in a poor vision of my target that my left eye inadvertantly took over the duties of focusing on the target. This became very apparent when at full draw I would close one eye and then the other. What was occuring is natural instinct would tell my right eye to acquire the target via the peep sight however because vision was blury my left eye took over. With both eyes open I still had the sense I was focusing through the peep however upon inspection of my view it seemed as though I was torqueing the bow...I was not...it was the left eye dominating my vision. New contact for the right eye and bang I am right back to normal driving tacks with no equipement adjustement...unless you consider contacts equipement :wink: .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you guys make a real valid point about the "eye vision". This makes alot of sense to me. I just hope if this is the problem my glasses will take care of this. I dont want to have to wear contacts :cry:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
doogy_7 Besides If it is a form problem could I be putting 3 arrows into a 1/2" circle everytime said:
Perhaps if you stated as much in the first place my response would have been different. And the answer is yes. You can be consistant and consistantly putting your amazingly accurate group in the wrong place.

See the subsequent post about what else it could be.
But considering you answer almost everyone of them with a short comment about how you are doing everything so absolutely perfectly, it is probably your bow right? It couldn't possibly be anything YOU are doing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.