Archery Talk Forum banner

Left Out

792 Views 13 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Lngbeard
So here's a question for my fellow left handers out there. This is the year I want/need a new bow. I shoot a Martin currently, and I'd like to stay with them. I bought my current bow sight unseen off e-bay, as I didn't know enough about archery then for it to really make a difference. I'd really prefer to shoot some of the newer bows this time before I decide/buy, but there are so few left handed options available - I feel left out. My local shop is the largest in the area, and they normally stock only 3 or 4 left handed bows - and none of the ones I'm interested in. What do you guys do? Would you buy a new bow without shooting it?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
703 Posts
I know not everyone can do this, but I just shoot right handed bows. Its slightly different because my form isn't as good right handed as left handed, but I get a pretty decent idea of what i'm working with.

· Registered
247 Posts
Ya I feel your pain. I usually have to travel to multiple shops (or call). Otherwise I just shoot a right hand bow with my left hand, it's not much different.

· Registered
289 Posts
I've got it really lucky - one of the better local shops stocks LH/RH of just about everything they carry.

Do you have any larger chain sporting goods stores in your area? I talked to the guys at Gander mtn one time and they said they'd order in a LH for me to check out - now as far as how many LH's they'd order, who knows...but that might help a little.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
If you are just trying to feel out different bow's draw cycle then you could still draw those right handed bows left handed. I would not suggest shooting them this way because the cables will be rubbing against your forearm and you will be torquing the bow quite a bit. When you find one that you like then you can order the one that fits you in a lefty.

· Registered
3,133 Posts
If you are just trying to feel out different bow's draw cycle then you could still draw those right handed bows left handed. I would not suggest shooting them this way because the cables will be rubbing against your forearm and you will be torquing the bow quite a bit. When you find one that you like then you can order the one that fits you in a lefty.
I am a lefty also. I do this but I have shot them quite abit too. I can pick a right handed bow and shoot it left handed and shoot it pretty good. Not knocking Martin but there are alot of good bows out there that are not Martin. I would at least check out a few other brands. The good thing about being a lefty there are some very good deals on used left handed bows. If you buy one out of the classifieds and get a good deal and if you decided it not for you most the time you can get your money back by reselling.

· Registered
298 Posts
I feel your pain I only have 1 shop in my area so I jsut read lots of reviews comments on certain bows and that's how I make a decision.
Sounds like me. No left handed bows in stock much less the one I wanted. I tried to get the feel with the right handed bows but it was awkward. I ended up getting one that I had never shot, drew back or even held. I will NEVER do this again. I ended up with a GREAT bow, but the fit wasn't the best for me. I probably would have gotten lighter limbs and a half inch shorter draw. I would say even if you have to take a road trip to be able to try some out, do it then you can order the right one from your local shop.

· Registered
2,057 Posts
When it comes to buying a new bow being a lefty suck. For me I just see how the draw cycle feels and if the bow feels good in my hand and if it does I order in a left hand model. I recommend checking out as many bows as you can and look beyond just one brand.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
Well, consider yourself blessed if you don't also have a 32"+ draw as well as being left-handed then.:wink:

On the other hand, I like being LH'ed........and having that 32" draw.:thumbs_up

· Registered
416 Posts
I am in your boat as well. I bought my first two bows used. Then I was fortunate enough to have a mathews dealer about 1 1/2 hours away and the owner was a lefty. This made him more apt to carry left handed bows. I was able to shoot 7 different bows when I decided on my Z7 last year. It is hard, not only with bows but scissors as well!:wink: Unfortunately the shop is not in business anymore and my local Mathews dealer that is about 3 blocks away doesn't carry any lefty models.

· Registered
12,024 Posts
I personally could buy a bow sight unseen and I have. But I know what I want before I go in. I know that I need a smooth drawing bow from 50-60 #s and that speed isn't that important to me. If you do your research, you can figure out on here or other websites what kind of bows fit that description. Once you get the bow you will adapt to the draw cycle and find a comfortable draw weight to shoot it at. At least that is me. I'm sure most guys would want to shoot it first.

· Registered
407 Posts
I guess I was lucky. I was able to shoot 3 or 4 different bows at Cabelas in Post Falls Idaho and then on to Spokane Valley Archery where I shot Mattews and Hoyt. That's where I bought my choice. See my sig for the winner by a large margin. One year later couldn't be happier with the bow. The indian, however still needs work. : )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.