Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. newbie question here. I am just starting to shoot traditionally with my Hoyt Gamemaster, and have been trying to learn using point of aim. My question is this. Why when I feel like I am more or less sighting down the arrow, do I hit almost 2 feet left of where I am aiming at 20 yards? Is it a tuning issue? Form/release issue? Something else I am missing? Any guesses? As far as tuning, I am pulling about 43# at my 28' draw, and am shooting Gold Tip Entrada 500's cut to 29" with 125gr in the tip, and am shooting off of the shelf. I haven't shot through paper, or bare shaft tuned yet to see what either of those look like.

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
Is your hand/eye dominance the same? A 2' miss would lead me to belive you may be left eye dominate shooting right handed or vise versa.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your hand/eye dominance the same? A 2' miss would lead me to belive you may be left eye dominate shooting right handed or vise versa.
I will have to double check while shooting traditionally. When I first started shooting compound with a scope and peep sight, I more or less had to train my right eye to be dominant. My eyes were basically equally dominant and every once in a while the left eye would take over resulting in a big miss. I will try shooting with my left eye closed next time I shoot and see what happens. I don't THINK that is the problem, but not eliminating it as a possibility yet.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any other thoughts? I would love to figure out what is causing this, so that I can start shooting with both point of aim and instinctive aiming and see which one works better for me. I am anxious to get home from work and shoot with my left eye closed to eliminate (or prove) the eye dominance theory. I do know that when shooting instinctively the point of impact seems to be right. Meaning that when the sight picture has the target more or less in the center of the riser (where my scope would be if shooting my compound), everything works fine.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Why when I feel like I am more or less sighting down the arrow, do I hit almost 2 feet left of where I am aiming at 20 yards? Is it a tuning issue? Form/release issue? Something else I am missing?
I agree with centershot. A 2 foot miss at 20 yrds. sighting down the arrow with the arrow forming a straight line to the target within your sight picture...is a pretty good indicator that you may be left eye dominant.

A stiff arrow won't normally cause a 2' miss at 20yrds.

Form issues...unless you completely fall apart...don't usually cause a 2' miss.

You may be experiencing a bit of all of it.

Your arrows may be to stiff. You won't know unless you do some tuning...but don't really start that until you have some consistentcy with your form.

You may have some form issues that cause you to miss to the left.

Combine all of those problems and that may explain why your consistently missing 2' to the left when you're gun barreling or using Point of Aim.

Ray :shade:

·
Registered
20,557 Posts
golf -

While changing eye dominance is possible, it's highly unlikely. Agree with center, 2' off is some sort of aiming issue.

Try shot-gunning a few arrows and see what happens. Line up the arrow below dead center of the target and see if that corrects the problem or if the arrows veer off. In you case, it might become readily apparent which eye you're using. If it's not clear, close one eye at a time and see if anything changes.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Are you using tab or glove? I've noticed that a glove can keep your anchor farther away from your face, resulting in left arrows. Plucking the string could throw them left too.

Arrow size seems OK. Might want to double check your draw length (pull a measuring arrow) and how much weight you are pulling (use a draw scale) at your local archery shop. I assume you are seeing no wild tail-left or tail-right movement in arrow flight and are not hearing the arrow hit the riser.

Otherwise, like Viper said, gun-barrel it and let us know if it persists.

·
32,624 Posts
Are you using tab or glove? I've noticed that a glove can keep your anchor farther away from your face, resulting in left arrows. Plucking the string could throw them left too.

Arrow size seems OK. Might want to double check your draw length (pull a measuring arrow) and how much weight you are pulling (use a draw scale) at your local archery shop. I assume you are seeing no wild tail-left or tail-right movement in arrow flight and are not hearing the arrow hit the riser.

Otherwise, like Viper said, gun-barrel it and let us know if it persists.
You hit the nail on the head with the "plucking the string". I think I have the arrow right on target and it goes 12" left of the bullseye. I know it when I release that I have plucked the string and this is my major problem right now. I think the 45lb bow causes it, too! And alot of times my arrow drops below the bullseye like it falls off a shelf and I blame that on the release and the weight of the draw. Bad habit forming stuff!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just posted this in my other (related) thread here...

ok.. new update. I haven't gotten to do much of any shooting the last day or two, but I did just accurately measure my draw length. I had 28" in my head, but that was from shooting my friend's olympic recurve. Much different anchor. My draw length shooting trad is 27". I then measured the draw weight at 27" and it is about 42#. I am definitely getting mixed input on the spine being right or wrong. I can't bare shaft tune yet because Lancaster is screwing around with me on my shafts. I ordered a dozen Feb. 1, the said they were backordered, but would ship on Feb. 3. They shipped THREE shafts and told me the rest won't ship until the 15th or 16th. So for now I have 3 arrows to play with. I am going to put a sight on the bow to mess with for a while. That way I should be able to shoot some good solid groups when it comes to bare shaft tuning, and I can focus on form for now.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also, as other notes.. I am shooting with a tab right now, but have a glove coming to play with as well, and I don't think I am plucking, but will have somebody watch me shoot this weekend and confirm that,

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
You hit the nail on the head with the "plucking the string".
Missing that much consistently to the left is most likely a combination of factors. That can definitely cause accuracy problems but in many cases....when an archer plucks the string they have other problems also. You've heard the term...'for every action there is an equal an opposite reaction'? Well in many cases...not all....when an archer plucks the string they also move their bow arm in an undesirable way. You may be plucking the string and moving your bow arm to the left at basically the same time...and combine that with having arrows that are too stiff....you're now missing 2' at 20yrds.

I think the 45lb bow causes it, too! And alot of times my arrow drops below the bullseye like it falls off a shelf and I blame that on the release and the weight of the draw. Bad habit forming stuff!
At least you're becoming aware of what your problems are and are working on doing something about them. I commend you for taking the initiative and working on finding a solution.

Ray :shade:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts