Archery Talk Forum banner

Legacy Centershot --- Help

757 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dts 
#1 ·
I have a right handed Mathews Legacy as a back-up bow with a Trophy Ridge drop away rest and Trophy Ridge Matrix sight.

I set initial center shot using a laser. I then did a paper tune and had to move the rest to the right to get a bullet hole, which I now have. I also did a walk back tune and it seems to be perfect. It shoots field points great out to 60 yds.

But, here is the problem. The center shot is at approx. 8/16 or 9/16 --- seems too close? And, the the sight is so far to the right that you can't center your peep on the whole site.

If I shoot broadheads, they definitely have to extend beyond the riser.

Any ideas where the problem might be? Should I worry about it? With it shooting so well I am reluctant to tinker.

The riser on the Legacy seems so narrow compared to the SB XT.

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I think idler lean may be the problem. What is the best method to check idler lean.

With the bow drawn, the string comes off the idler angled to the left. What do I need to do to bring it right.

When not drawn, I put a laser on the idler relative to the cam and they line up perfectly, although I did play with some of the twists to accomplish that.

Suggestions?

#4 ·
Im far from an expert here so take this with a grain of salt. I had exactly the same issue and I haven't resolved it totally yet but I was causing torque on the bow and when I was drawing it, even though it was in tune, I was creating a situation with hand torque (cupped wrist pushing the back of the bow inside and it doesn't take much) that was causing the string to come off the cam with the appearance it was out of tune. Yet when my buddy would draw it, it would come straight off the cam. I'm not suggesting that is what you are doing but that was my experience and I'm back around 11/16 from the riser.

#5 ·
Kirk brings up a good point.You may let someone else draw the bow and back up and look at the idler.You can also change your grip a tad and see what happens.There is some torque induced by the cable rod or roller on the mathews.If you think it is idler lean you can twist up the yoke on the opposite side.

CB

#6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. This bow was way out of tune. First I had to reset cam timing and then I tuned. I could get paper bullet holes and pretty decent walk back, but the problem was the 9/16 centershot. It created problems with sight adjustment.

The problem was idler lean. I had a time getting everything right and almost gave up last night and was ready to take it to the bow shop. I decided I wasn't going to give in.

Tonight, I rechecked all specs to ensure factory settings and then I adjusted idler lean until it was perfect. I also adjusted draw weight. I then paper tuned and now I am once again getting a PERFECT bullet hole. Centershot is 12/16 and I think that is a pretty good setting.

I'll check walk back and sight in tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well. If it does, I will have a real sense of satisfaction knowing I did it all without having to run to the bow shop (an hour drive each way).

Once again, thanks for all the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.