Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I was finally able to get out and get my bow while on a business trip so I could schedule the time to try out everything I could get my hands on. Now I am looking for someplace local to me for lessons. I have found all the usual places and thought I would ask to see if anyone knows of anywhere that does not show up immediately from internet searches. I need to get my skill base down before practicing incorrectly on my own and developing bad habits.

Thank you!

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,101 Posts
Try Hi-Tech Archery in Fullerton.

They are great folks and really know their way around a bow.

Welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
What part of Los Angeles? There are a lot of reputable shops around and many outdoor ranges also. We can give you a better suggestion if we know where exactly in LA you are.
What type of bow? It is not clear from your post if you shoot compound or recurve.
You are on the right track for wanting to learn the correct way before you develop bad habits. They die hard, very hard!!

Welcome to the sport!!! It is addictive.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi-Tec was the place I was leaning toward since I have heard good things about them. I am in the South Bay near long beach so Fullerton is not that far off. I'm shooting a compound, specifically a PSE Vision. I had not shot a bow in 10 years until recently (before that it was all long bows), and that was at the shop. I literally shot my first compound bow using a mechanical release all at the same time and was hooked from the 1st arrow. I hate staring at the case just sitting in my office cause I can hear the bow saying "Hey, take me out and hold me"

Thank god for the internet and archery talk because I have 0 resources from friends and family. I am 100% solo on the archery front.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,101 Posts
I found Hi-Tech by accident. I was working a conference near Disney and had an afternoon off. With nothing to do I looked up shops in the yellow pages. For some reason I chose them. I drove out there and spent easily two hours+ just talking to them. They were all great and we had a good time just swapping stories.

·
Registered
801 Posts
There is Hi Tech in Fullerton like already mentioned... or there is also Pasadena Roving Archers, which has lessons on the weekends in the morning

·
Registered
801 Posts
If youre in the south bay... Archery Outpost is probably closest to you.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have not been at Hi Tech, but I have heard great things about them. Check out also Archery OutPost in Los Alamitos. I am not sure if they have a range though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Archery Outpost is going to get the first visit since it's the closest to me, and both have ranges.

Cant wait to put some time in with the bow!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
We have a range at Portuguese bend on Palos Verdes Peninsula. South Bay Archery Club meetings are the second Wednesday of each month at Torrance airport. If you are interested.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know exactly where the chain that blocks the road to your range is along Portuguese bend, for years I thought that was just a joke that there was a range there.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I am in aneheim right now on a vacation with the fam. Sure does not seem like archery country around here. How far do people have to go to hunt??

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About an hour or more, and around the LA area it's always a hard hunt. When I was going regularly it was always a 5 hour trip further north. The further up the state you go the better it gets. I made the switch to bow hunting because the season is longer and there are some archery only areas.

Enjoy your Vacation!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts