Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were hunting with a bow that was in excess of the 65 pound let off rule that P&Y require (like most of us do) and you belted a buck that you think has a chance of being a record,,,,,,,,,do you bend the truth a hair or would you merely forget about having it officially scored by P&Y? I thiiiiiink I know what I would do!!!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
If my bow did not meet the P&Y standards I would not have it scored by P&Y.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
This is what we talk about all the time....Why do I care if it goes in the book or not??? I have to pay for it to go in....Then out of all the people that read it...Who is going know who I am???/...The only ones that really matter will know it anyways....Plus I will post it right here.......:D

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm with LX shooter 100 percent. It isn't important for me to see my name in print. I know what I have, and so will my family, hunting buddies, and maybe a few people in town due to word travelling quickly(population 3,000). I'll score it myself, and have a couple good, honest friends score it too. If we all come within a half inch or so, I say that's close enough to tell people he's a P&Y buck.
Saying this, I don't think there should be a 65% letoff cut for the people who do want their names in the book. I have no problem with somebody wanting their name in the book, as it's an accomplishment. I don't think I would harvest more, or bigger deer with 75% letoff than I would with 65. I say if you have to physically draw and hold the bow, you should be able to go in the books if you want to.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
When you enter a buck in P&Y you sign an affidavit (under oath) stating that your equipment meets their requirements. If you want to be in P&Y that bad . . . shoot legal gear. Otherwise just be happy that you shot a great buck. A good buck doesn't give you the right to lie. You start doing things like this and you'll have a permanent reputation in the community for greed and dishonesty. (Nobody will want to golf with you either)

Don't ever sacrifice your integrity for a big rack . . . or a piece of paper.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I hunt with an 80% let-off, and wouldn't even think about trying to sneak a buck into P&Y by going in "the back door"... I have 65% cams for both of the bows I hunt with, so if it meant all that much to me, or I was going into an area with ALOT of P&Y class animals, I would switch to the 65% cams beforehand... After all, their book, their rules...

- georgestrings

·
74,535 Posts
Called Cheating

No way! Like winning trophy at shoot and pushing the score. Pope and Young has standards. I have no promblem with there rules and follow them. I want to make the books someday. Just a goal to shoot for. If it woirld class you could be asked to take Pollegraph test. Anything worth doing is worth doing honestly, unfortunatly some hunters want to bend the rules.

·
Banned
333 Posts
I would

still have it scored ,,, but not allow it in the BOOKS ,, just MY book and WALL!!!!!!!tool..:) :) but that is just me

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I agree with all on this topic,I have no problem with a 65% let off rule for p&y.I also don't care if my name is ever in print.
Heck,I don't even care if I ever get a monster buck,I enjoy hunting and I'm happy with what I can take ethically and honestly....

·
Registered
66 Posts
TENDERLOIN SHISHKEBOBS

I wouldnt lie,cheat to get my name in a book or on print,I'am sure now that you mention it theres a few smileing face's in there that dont belong if you dig deep enough in any sport there is cheating going on some way or another,personelly I do not have any "trophy" wall to speak of nor will I ever as this is just not my intrest to show off in such a way,however I do show off but I treat my friends,guest with a home cooked meal that leaves a much better taste in the mouth when they think of me,but this is just my 3 cents

·
Registered
238 Posts
Man if you want to put a buck in the book then get you a bow with 65% let off and dont worry about it.

The only book that matters to me is my hunting scrap book that I have been adding to for 25 years so when I am 75 I can look at a picture close my eyes and relive the event.

I for one would never be able to look at the certificate from P&Y with out knowing it was dishonest.

Its kinda like killing a buck that scores 125 because of some broken tines then having the taxidermist repair the tines and calling him a 135.

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Re: TENDERLOIN SHISHKEBOBS

HARLEYHUNTER said:
I wouldnt lie,cheat to get my name in a book or on print,I'am sure now that you mention it theres a few smileing face's in there that dont belong if you dig deep enough in any sport there is cheating going on some way or another
Your existence here is a lie.

personelly I do not have any "trophy" wall to speak of nor will I ever as this is just not my intrest to show off in such a way
Coming from a card carrying PETA member, that doesn't surprise me.

however I do show off but I treat my friends,guest with a home cooked meal that leaves a much better taste in the mouth when they think of me,but this is just my 3 cents
Your "friends" are criminals. Eat me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
man , i have never even shot a deer. its my second year and a doe will be a trophy for me!:) if you want high scores go play deer hunter. your hunting not competing. just my opinion. if i shot a really huge deer i would mount it.;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is an old saying that says that if you can't play by the rules then don't play at all.

If you want to get into P and Y, then you need to shoot 65%.

I shoot 80% and could care less.

JJ

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would bend the truth. I think its a bunch of b.s. that they are putting restrictions on a bow which can only shoot accurately at app. 40 yards. Shouldnt they be worried about restrictions on guns. A deer should be put in the record books if it earns it; not if the hunter killed it with 80 letoff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts