Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get a good nock fit on the Easton "super nock". Isn't that what a lot (most?) of these arrows come equipped with?

Don't forget older bows that might need the old stretchy string materials.

·
Registered
851 Posts
So it has to be Dacron? Try a 12 strand B55 only serve it with byc at .021 or .018. If you want to try FF d97 is relatively inexpensive and works well try a 10 strand and pad the loops up to 16 with Dacron. I serve mine with .026.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
20 st 8190 served with .019 Halo works well for large groove. However I will be going to 62xs in the future since Halo tends to slip.

Grant

·
Registered
851 Posts
MGF wish I could help ya there but no. I build flemish with B55 and D97. Have never tried 8190 but, you might pm Rick Barbee. He is something of a string guru and can probably answer all you question. Also Chad Weaver.....I think he goes by ....LBR? Anyway both those guys are very knowledgeable as I understand it about string building and will likely happily answer you questions.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Never built a string but I shoot that nock on a fast flight string . I have replaced the center serving and built it up with some flat braided fishing line. Gives me a perfect fit.

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
Depends on the bow string material. With .021 halo center 16 strands D97 & B50, 20 strands 452x, X or 8190 seem to give good nock fit on most standard nocks with our recurve bow strings.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Anybody build Flemish twist using 8190?
Yes, mostly Flemish Twist, but I don't think that really matters as far as serving material. At least, it doesn't the way I make my Flemish Twists. I back twist such that the bundles have no twists among themselves through the body of the string. Some strings I've seen, it's like you've got a two bundle string all the way through, and the serving just squeezes it round in the middle.

I am beginning to think that I serve tighter than most, because a lot of the suggested combinations I have no doubt work for somebody, but I've used thicker for the same results.

Really, my recipe, is to serve on a little bit for a given nock, see how it fits, and then try again with something else if I need a change in nock fit. Rick Barbee's suggestion of padding with Teflon tape can help, though only so much, as the serving will push that stuff out of the way.

I think, if I recall correctly, for 14 strands of B-50, I used .021 or so for an S-nock, and for 20 strands of 8190, .026 diameter Diamond back, or .025 #62, or .024 Halo, or something like that, but my memory isn't exact that way, because as I said, I usually try and see...

·
Registered
394 Posts
60x-i ordered a new fast flight from you guys Sunday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts