Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the advantages of lowering the let off on a bow? My bow is at 80% let off with my draw weight at 72lbs and im curious what would be achieved by adjusting it to say 65%. Any input would be helpful Thank You Chris

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I higher letoff means less holding weight and thus it will be easier to hold at full draw.

A lower letoff means a higher holding weight which requires more active muscles at full draw. This can help keep you steadier and be a bit easier to tune.

Mitch

·
Registered
939 Posts
One advantage that comes to mind is meeting the Pope and Young rule and avoiding an asterisk after your trophy listing.
The big advantage of higher let-off is being able to hold steady longer at full draw if you have to wait for your quarry to make a move into shooting position. For finger shooters, let-off in the 50% range can make for a cleaner release. Lowering let-off does generally result in more energy in the arrow. That's about it. My advice is to try it and see if you like the result. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It will be intresting what people are going to say here chriss. I shoot a bow thats been called to higher let off with no way of adjusting it. also the at the same time people say that the fuel cam is nasty if you creep the string will ripp out of the valley to easy. I idea I think people have is 55to say 65% holds easyer regarding aiming. I agree little more tension in the stops holds better then edging on the rear of the valley. I do this hard wall aim becasue I can aim better that way and I have never ever creeped out of the valley. My point is for me I gain very little with a higher letoff or a lower letoff. But I do gain something out of a nice hard back wall. So I guess it depens on the way you do things depends on what cam systerm will suit you. For me when buying a bow what the cam is like on the rear wall overrides the importance of even something like brace hight. I dont care about letoff and I dont care if my bow has 6-7 inch bh as long as its in there somewhere.
my holding weight is 14 pounds in the valley. yuck I carnt shot from there so I have my shot brake at about 18 to 20 pounds loading on the stops. I am shore its not everyones cup of tea but it works for me.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
In theory, would you get slightly higher speeds from a 65% letoff bow than an 80%? Assuming you are shooting the same bow, same arrow, same draw weight and length.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
There was a freind of a freind that tested this, this man is a pro and a few people where involve in this test. It was a hoyt cam that was 70% and then set up for 55%. And the 3 of them kinda thought the effort of the test was a wast of time as there was a very small amount of differnts in speed samthing like not even 2 fps differnce.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
In theory, would you get slightly higher speeds from a 65% letoff bow than an 80%? Assuming you are shooting the same bow, same arrow, same draw weight and length.
Some cams that were designed to be high letoff could actually be slower with less by changing the DFC. And how the letoff is changed can come into play, too. If it changes letoff by shortening the DL (and therefore the valley), like with binary cams with limb stops, then you lose powerstroke.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Some cams that were designed to be high letoff could actually be slower with less by changing the DFC. And how the letoff is changed can come into play, too. If it changes letoff by shortening the DL (and therefore the valley), like with binary cams with limb stops, then you lose powerstroke.
Good point buster.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all of the input. I think im going to try it at 65 and see where it goes. Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts