Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find camo overated. Deer see black and white.

I like leafy wear only because of the 3d effect.

We all have had deer close with bright orange on and even a solid color.

So why on earth is everyone getting rich off camo? Whats your thought!

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
Because Bill Jordan does not have enough money, I mean the man needs to hunt all those ranches. I am just tying to help him out!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
For 1 i don't only hunt deer. Other animals can see color. Number 2 is confidence. That's why lots of people use scent lok and all of that even though they hunt against the wind. You could hunt naked, but how confident would you be? The confident would be few and far between:tongue:

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It amazes me

swoosh said:
Because Bill Jordan does not have enough money, I mean the man needs to hunt all those ranches. I am just tying to help him out!!
Even people that dont hunt love camo and wear it. Ole Bill done well selling leaves on clothing. I have my share and then some.
DB

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's a valid question. I was lookin at some pictures that my Father-In-Law had the other night of some deer hunts back in probly the 60's. Nothin but blue overalls and other work clothes...but some nice deer and hogs didn't seem to figure em out. I'm flat out guilty though..I'm the idiot that all those boys are marketing. Jordan, Haas and the rest of em ought to send me a Christmas card every year.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think confidence is the reason why we use camouflage. I once had a doe approach me while i was walking in open hardwoods. I kneeled, drew, and put a 2317 lengthwise through her as she feed towards me. The shot was only 5 yards. She did not know I was there and part of me says it is because of the Predator Brown I was wearing. Probally would have had the same results wearing a pink snow suit but ever since then I have ultimate confidence while hunting in Predator, ASAT and Cabela's Outfitter.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The best camo to ware in a tree stand once the leafs are down is a realtree snow/white pattern. A guy posted a bunch of black and white pictures of him self in a tree with various camo patterns from all the big name companies. Almost of them showed up as dark blobs in the tree, except the winter tree pattern. I wouldn’t ware it just because I would stick out like a sore thumb in a tree to the human eye and don’t want other people to see where I’m hunting. The camo companies need to stop using so much black and dark green colors and adding lighter shades of brown and gray in their pattern to match the skyline for tree stand hunters.

·
Registered
447 Posts
steveo19 said:
The best camo to ware in a tree stand once the leafs are down is a realtree snow/white pattern. A guy posted a bunch of black and white pictures of him self in a tree with various camo patterns from all the big name companies. Almost of them showed up as dark blobs in the tree, except the winter tree pattern. I wouldn’t ware it just because I would stick out like a sore thumb in a tree to the human eye and don’t want other people to see where I’m hunting. The camo companies need to stop using so much black and dark green colors and adding lighter shades of brown and gray in their pattern to match the skyline for tree stand hunters.
I agree 100%.But I have always been a fan of advantage timber for the woods in SE Ohio.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Some times on public land it is an advantage to hide from the other hunters too! When I was in college I had many a run in with good ole boys out "stalking". One guy saw me and decided he wanted to talk, from that point on I was much better concealed. Some of the guys even did a pretty decent job of driving the deer to me.

Marc

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I remember seeing a quick clip from way back in the day of Fred Bear up in mule deer country and a huge buck ran by him at like 5 steps and all he was wearing was jeans and a plaid jacket. I personally could care less what brand of camo i buy as long as it breaks up my outline.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been around the Marine Corps so long, I have all of these old pants that I don't get to wear every day anymore. So, I wear them. It seems to work for me. I also have a leafy top and head net that I wear. I mix and match my cammies, especially as it gets colder and I need more clothes. I think so long as your are breaking up your outline and watching your movement, you'll be fine. The pattern is more for the hunter.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I think is was hit on the head when it came to confidence. I mean if "we" can't see the hunter how can the deer. Sounds logical to me. I am a fan of Mossy Oak, alot of it is just confidence and the fact that I can stand "OLE BILL". MO does great things for the kids that are sick or handycaped. I have no problem giving them my money.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Personally I like Mossy Oak Break Up...But I have and wear several different patterns...At the end of the day I think camo projects confidence in what we are doing...Everyone has their lucky camo shirt, jacket, pants, or hat...And regardless of pattern I have seen these payoff bigger than anything else...

·
Anointed Arrows
1,088 Posts
Hunting Traditions Rule...

In my family hunting was a family tradition, and our biggest concern was not being seen by the deer but rather being mistaken for deer by anxious hunters. (used to call them cityslickers) Our tradition was plenty of blaze orange for gun season. Be still, go slow and quiet, look much, scout much before the season. And stay away from the noisy greenhorns. Let them push deer to you. In them days we thought of the camo dudes as a bit extremist. Today they are the norm.
Again, the red and black plaid seemed to rule. Wonder we shot all the deer we did at close range.

·
Registered
395 Posts
camo colors

First off deer don't see in black and white. They see certain colors better than others especially blue. They don't see browns,orange and one other color that i can't remember very well. The one thing they see very well is movement. So stay still and they will be close.

i don't think the white camo would be great in a tree either. If the tree is directly behind you there would be a huge gap in the tree that looks very unordinary.
I think the predator fall grey and brown deception is the best for hunting period. It's the perfect blend of not to dark and not to light. You could stand in the timber on the ground as well with the fall grey and never get picked off. It actually break you up.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Personally I think its more the movement than colors but i still go head to toe covered when I hunt.. When I was a kid, we hunted in green coveralls and had deer walk by without seeing us. I have bucks and does now that come by at the base of my ladder stand and lok up and don't spook. I wear Mossy Oak 9o% of the time. Interesting post thanks DB.. Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think camo is not necessary. People just got to try hunting without it first and find out for themselves. I have not used camo in a very long time (10 yrs). I have had no problem getting close to game and making a harvest or getting the shot and missed them. More importantly you need to use the wind in your favor and if possible shower before each hunt. I hunt in blue jeans, kahki pants or green or gray pants. I use plaid shirts or herribone shirts. Here's a pic of one I got about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
outline

I believe that breaking up the human form, outline, silhouette whatever you want to call it ..... is the most valuable purpose camo serves.

The patterns that have larger open spaces with contrasting light and dark areas do this the best. ASAT and Predator Fall Gray come to mind.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts