Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
21,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a scope that fits my bill and havent found one. So i thought lets throw out some ideas and maybe the right person will read this and come out with one. I will start I would like a illuminated reticle 4 or 5 cross hairs. That would adjust very very low All most like it was a rheostat where it just gave a little light And put the adjustment for the light on top or better on the right side (im right handed). And it would be nice if it was a 1x3 power so we could tweak the cross hair gaps a little. It would not need great glass but good light gathering. I know there are some real nice scopes out there and im not trying to knock any of them. This is just some things that i think would make a good scope great. What would you guys like to see in a scope.

· Vendor
5,699 Posts
Personaly...with the speeds of some of the higher end bows and the flat trajectories I would like to see a 3X single crosshair with an illuminated circle (I really like the circle) since I tend to use just the top crosshair anyway and adjust my aim point accordingly...the low light rheostat is a nice idea though..
Wyvern

· Banned
24,198 Posts
Versatility is the keyword I think

RT2,

I agree with you on the lower illumination levels and that is one of my main recommendations to Hawke Sports Optics. I would prefer to have one illumination color with more levels of illumination............all of them on the lower level. Nothing is more useless than an illuminated reticle for hunting that is too bright in very low light conditions.

· Vendor
5,699 Posts
I actually like the red/green option...I tend to flip between both colors depending on what the situation is...myself I would not give that up..
Wyvern

· Registered
21,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you Wyvern On the red and green. I like will i should say my eyes like green best if i could only have one. The reason i would like the light switch on the right Is if you have the bow shouldered and need to turn it on it would be close to the safety. Or maybe under the rear bell would be a good place.

· Vendor
5,699 Posts
OK...how about a remote rheostat??? I dont see where that would be an issue...you could mount the dial on the side of the bow by your hand and have it connected by a lenght of wire to the scope....Hmmm...that would not be a big deal to make...:wink:

Wyvern

· Banned
24,198 Posts
I like the KISS method

For hunting, simple is good. As to dual color illuminated reticles, I'll admit it is something extra to play with but doesn't "hold much water" :) when compared to the functionality of having more illumination levels on the lower side to prevent the overwhelming problem that illumnated reticles cause, which is the fact that even the lowest settings overshadow the animal during the last few minutes of hunting light. Now you can surely see the bright reticle but NOT your target (deer in my case). My comments are referring only to hunting optics which I guess 99% of them are used for that purpose in this country. I normally keep well used 2032 batteries in my scopes in an effort to keep the illumination levels as low as possible. The same problem exists with red dot reflex sights. I hear it constantly from hunters.

· Registered
21,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There you go or lets go one more step. When it starts getting late or bright sun or blind turn it on and adjust your light then turn it on and off with a pressure switch. On your grip that way its always ready. Or just a on off switch on the scope. But we need a low light first. I see what your saying maybe we can modify whats out there. I would always put a small peace of white arrow wrap on the bulb with a small hole on my compounds.

· Banned
24,198 Posts
Ideally

I would like to see the manufacturers do the simple things they need to do to make their scopes much better as perceived by the average crossbow hunter/shooter. Again, for hunting, I insist on keeping things simple because I've had too many things fail at critical times over the years. If something fails while target shooting, no big problem BUT failure while a big buck is within shooting range is a big problem.:wink:

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Ok lets just add 4 more LOWER light setting with BOTH colors on the Hawke and just make it a fine 1 MOA crosshair dot with 5 crosshairs for different ranges. :tongue: I know some here like the circles, but I can dream.:wink:
This is just a wish so....

Brian

· Registered
1,174 Posts
HHMMMM maybe we can get someone who knows Zeiss to make us one for say .... 80 bucks:eek: I know I know you will have to add another 0 to that. Kidding

Brian

· Registered
21,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe that if some one come up with a scope that had a very low small lighted dot that just had a on off switch and just lit up the top dot. And had a 1x power setting. They would hit a home run. And if it had 10 settings that would be fine maybe set it on lets say 2 or 5 brightness and all you had to do was slip your thumb or finger and hit a button and its on. We got good broad heads, arrows, bows, And some real nice scopes But no great scopes My hope is some one comes up with one. I thought maybe we could float out some ideas

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Honestly

I like how Hawkes scopes are 3x I like that a lot. But I would want atleast 2 if not 3 of the crosshairs to light up with a bunch of lower setting of illuminations. But I DO see where you are coming from in that if its late you are only going to be shooting very close NOT far away. But I would still want no less than 2 crosshair 1 MOA dots to light up.

Well instead of erasing what I just wrote maybe you are right in that only the top crosshair would light up would be best. Because you wouldn't de dealing with all the other crosshairs blinding you out. HMMMM maybe its not a bad idea. I will have to ponder this some more. Moon David what you think on only ONE dot light up instead of all crosshairs lighting up??

But now I am thinking that if they have REALLY LOW LOW light settings having all the crosshairs wouldn't be bad at all. HMMM

Good thoughts RT2

Brian

· Banned
24,198 Posts
The TP Pro View

IMO, is one of the better, if not the best, when we are talking specifically about very low light hunting shot conditions but overall the Hawke SR's range finding reticle, additional aiming points and BRS program makes it a better design. For anyone interested in direct comparisons of these scopes go to my thread titled "OK, I guess we can discuss............."

· Registered
1,174 Posts
What's wrong with the TenPoint ProView... It is 3x both green and red, and I don't see it as overly bright on the lower two settings.
Well I havent seen it in person but its topping my list so far. BUT it only has 3 aiming points I would like more ..... like 4 or better yet 5 aiming points actually 5 is best for me. Thats why . But if they come out with more aiming points then I will probably get one. I don't need the range finding retical as I always carry my range finder with me so that a moot point for me. But tell them to make it with 5 crosshairs with the 1 MOA dot and I will get one.

Thanks

Brian

· Banned
24,198 Posts
I would like for Hawke and TP to consider

the 1MOA illuminated dot. The SR's circles ideally would have that dot in each circle with only the dot illuminated.

The range finding reticle on the Hawke is used as a backup for me just in case I quickly need to range a deer and don't have time to get my hands on my Leica RF.

I have a friend that missed a buck in December because he left his Bushnell range finder in his truck. It's an old folks thing:wink:

I agree, I like the Hawke's 6 aiming points for high performance crossbows

· Registered
22 Posts
Excalibuer lumi-zone has 5 lines ( 10 20 30 40 50 yards ) and you have 10 adjustments for the lumanation. 1 being very low light and 10 being the brightest.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
I also range trees and such when I get up in the tree so I know where everything is around me. BUt we all know deer don't always come out of where we expect them too. But that works for me and I have not had that happen to me where I didn't know the range.

Brian

· Registered
133 Posts
Parallax free is important to me

I was finally shooting my new strikeforce today (it's my birthday). I bought it with the 3 dot scope. The bow was impressive but the scope was not because of the parallax movement of the dots. It is not parallax free at ANY distance. :cry:
How is the parallax error on scopes like the Hawke and Varizone etc?
At what distance are they usually supposed to be parallax free?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.