Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Custom callmaker
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the recent thread going about anti hunting I thought I would bring up my thoughts on a way to fight back as hunters.

I see no reason to fight back on the same ground as the extreme anti as I feel it is to easy for them to convert anything we do and say to benefit there cause.

I propose a different stratagy.

I say lets form our own blanket organization to promote hunting not only within our ranks but the mass public. Lets not bombard them with statistics, and please join campain, but a subtle, this is who we are and what we do campaign.

With the help corporate sponsership wich was obtained shortly for the WHA we should have no problem getting there cooperation, as this will expand the hunting family.

I say lets do billboards, commercials etc. Not on outdoor channels or in rural areas but the bigger city. Higher pop areas.

Lets not explain or defend ourselves, lets advertise such as Hunt for the hungary. A commercial for hunter involvement but it would also inform the public of some of the good that they benefit from. And theres the public land that is purchased by our license dollars for ALL to enjoy. When a lg purchase is made advertise to the public. There are some who donate bows to schools, lets advertise that as we are helping support education and fitness. Also local clubs could help with this, donate time for instruction or mat'l.

There are so many things we do that the public benefits from, but they are to far removed to notice. Lets help them take notice. And then instead of the neg feeling of death they can see the benefits.

As individual clubs. We spend money on our clubs and conservation activities. How about a public appreciation dinner. An advertised dinner for the public. I see many wild feasts but usually adv. within the close hunting family. Or how about a cleanup crew for the public grounds/parks/roads/private lands even.

I am not a one to start an org. such as this just an idea man. I do understand there are organizations out there. But most are geared to preserve our legal rights. Not to inform the public is subtle ways so not to offend. Lets show the world that as hunters were not takers but givers. During the national disasters there was little adv for the hunt fo hungary that did donate some food. As it was not alot. Lets create a food bank of dried game so that when disasters occur we can roll in with a good amount of dried meat and even hook up with agr. to supply dried veg. It would be win/win for both and help show the city's that meat and food does not come thru a drive thru in a neat little box.

There is so much more we can do if we could organize and get the sponsership. An organization that truley supports, and informs hunting not in idividual cases but as a whole.

Oh ya. And if you want to sell product. A company that supports this would be high on my list. China/mexico/Usa wherever its made if they take there extra dollars and stick it were it will truley help hunting as a whole.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think you have a great idea. While there are some organizations out there doing nice things, there isn't one larger "umbrella" organization that unites hunters for the purpose of spreading the word about all the good things hunters do.

·
Custom callmaker
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was beginning to wonder if anyone cared. I am glad you understood my babbling. There are many organizations that micro manage for the benefite of a few hunters. But none for the benefite for all hunters regardless of there individual beleif and style. I wloud like to see this umbrella idea to take over and to become a public relations org. I mean if tobacco and alcohol can look like good guys then use good guys should be able to. And with use putting fortha positive image the public can see how radical and distasteful the anti's are.

Good Idea? Lets give pointers on such ads. Hopefully a good energenic person can run with this.

Good deads that benefit public

Hunt fo the hungry
animal welfare
Education
public lands
disaster releif
others??

I know conservation groups build duck houses, habitat work, and docks etc. But this can be turned and thought of as only spending money to make OUR sport better, for our own consumtion. I would like it to be based on public benefits.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
i personal think we doing wrong thing, we center our self to hunting, trapping , fishing. we should join to gather and included hunters, trappers, fishmen and shooters. most of us do two of the four already and the antis is after all of them. that how the anti work they combind the whole group to fight one issue at a time. we have the man power look what hapen to k-mart when rosie spoke out agenst nra and the dixie chicks. we need to work just like peta boycock every place who dont suport the sportsmen, when they close out hunting ground sue them in courtsgive out grades for people who suport us and what every we can to tyed up people to do what we want. here in maryland we pay sniper to kill deer at night in parks we should be sueing state wasting taxes payers money to do what hunters pay to do and they still rasid our hunting lic. why did they do that because peta made such a ruckes when they open the land for hunters but peta did not said one thing about sniper killing deer. we should have been there protesting and letting people know what went on. i said lets do it but let not sit on there allow goverment and anti push us out. we do need to form one group to include hunter, trappers, fishmen and shooters. let the world know you kid one group out we all leave. togather we stand no one can knock us down

·
Custom callmaker
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I want this to be an umbrella organization. It would be fore all you stated so that all resources could be tapped to make it strong. But I would like to keep the individual advances held down so it could focus on the outdoorsman issue as a whole.

I feel the boycott strong arm tactics are not the way to go with this. I feel subtle knowlegable forms of communication to get our cause and benefits out to the masses are a better idea then threatening to shut down your business as your on the wrong side. I feel that makes us look bad. Like it or not we are a minority and to go and irritate people is not a good way to do it. Heck the anti's have been trying that for years and untill recently with there informative(yet slanted campaign) they have been small but know watch out. And untill we can unite with a strong financially backed org. We should not go head to head.

Let the public aware of what we are and what we do. Let them make there own decision on all the facts. I feel there are plenty of meat eaters out there that when they relize this is life, not the burger in a box they will be on our side. Lets leave the individual bickering to within our groups. To watch the division of the hunter ranks on the news, slanted for the best story does not do us any good.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
i think you are wrong about this. we need to show these stories, goverment, and even groups that you suport peta or the antis we will not spend our money or suport you at all. that has been our problem for years, we look at it it dont bother us we not going to bother them. for expil we dont used cross bows so we dont fight groups who is after them, or we dont fish so we dont fight groupsa who agest them. we should boycock any storie who suport peta or the hsus. any place where they should allow hunting and the only reson why they dont allow because they scared peta or the hsus may throw a fit we should make the courts decide or make the goverment to tell us. if they decide they want to side on there side we should vote them out. we have been nice for to long it time for us to show them we not playing with them any more. we as sportspeople have spend millions of dollars for our sport and we allow other groups to enjoy it. people who camps or watch wildlife dont suport those land or refudge it us who suport it but we allow them to tell us what we can or can not do then make us spend more money. like hunting lic. we have to buy them and if we want to hunt a area we have to pay to hunt there also that not far. we pay to hunt now we got to pay to hunt the land also. fishing you have to have fishing lic and if you want to used a boat you have to get lic for that to. we need to stop being so nice, every one know what we stand for and every one know it helps wildlife. it time to show them they need our money we dont need them.

imas dog food peta boycock them and they gave in when hunter boycock them they beg us to return and kick peta to the curb and they found out they need us not peta. peta relised we are bigger themn they thought. we are not the minority any more that what peta what us to think

madarchery said:
I want this to be an umbrella organization. It would be fore all you stated so that all resources could be tapped to make it strong. But I would like to keep the individual advances held down so it could focus on the outdoorsman issue as a whole.

I feel the boycott strong arm tactics are not the way to go with this. I feel subtle knowlegable forms of communication to get our cause and benefits out to the masses are a better idea then threatening to shut down your business as your on the wrong side. I feel that makes us look bad. Like it or not we are a minority and to go and irritate people is not a good way to do it. Heck the anti's have been trying that for years and untill recently with there informative(yet slanted campaign) they have been small but know watch out. And untill we can unite with a strong financially backed org. We should not go head to head.

Let the public aware of what we are and what we do. Let them make there own decision on all the facts. I feel there are plenty of meat eaters out there that when they relize this is life, not the burger in a box they will be on our side. Lets leave the individual bickering to within our groups. To watch the division of the hunter ranks on the news, slanted for the best story does not do us any good.

·
Custom callmaker
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your method is to boycott use strong tactics, involve more goverment. Well you may be able to win rights thru tyhe courts. But you will not win the respect from the public. Like it or not we need the public to support us. They own the land. We all connot afford land and there is not enough public for all. We think we spend alot of money and that we support the area we live. And in some rural areas and some states we do. But in reality we are a drop in the bucket when it comes to industry profits. And we are a minority. We need to win public support so that the public is willing to help us. We cannot win fitting anti and public if the public is not 100% on our side.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
you are wrong the puplice dont care if we hunt or not. that is where the antis gte there foot hold. they take the people who dont know or care if we hunt or fish and put them agenst us with lies. we are the national parks and state land. the puplice taxes dont pay for the wild land it us who pays for it. the antis dont tell them that, they tell them its there money we are using. this is why clinton took money that we have for land and used it for his projects.

the problem is with us is one we let the anti tell us we dont count. that is wrong its is showing that not only do we count we are making things happen. look what nra has done the last 10 years. when they got tired of letting the anti gun groups run the show. now they are running the show and the anti is losing every two years. you do not hear one candate mettion guns in the campane. the ones who do do not make the primeris election. if we can get gun people and hunter, fishermen, and trappers to come to gather we will have tripple our numbers.

the next problem we sit quitely. we need to let every one know we count and if you chalge us you will lose. the best way to do that is with our dollars. some areas in this country hunting suport big part of the areas fund. here in maryland when they band goose hunting easter shore lose alot of money.this is how anti works and they still get respect from the puplice. we cant make people like us but we can show them with out us you will not live. there is nothing wrong not shopping in a place when they dont like hunter and they will decide do they want to be with us or agest us.

finaly goverment need to realised that we make a defferts if they want to side with the antis let the antis get them in office. the antis is smaller then any one groups but they make the biggest defferts why? because let there voice be herd. do you realy think people are so agest hunting? no they dont care if we hunt and kill animals amd 95% people eats meat of some kind. the only deffert between them and us we kill our own meat. the antis just yell alot and cause trouble in the courts when they dont get there way. there is nothing wrong making a person ti give us the right to hunt if it works and save tax payers money.

the last we need to stop fight among our self. i herd it all of the time free range hunter complane ageats canned hunting. recurve agest compound bows we need stop fighting among our self. we should help people to make choice is best us. we worry about what another hunts and stop worry about what the anti doing stop all hunting. the best expil is baiting for bear, if you want to bait for bear do it if you dont: dont stop worry about what other do and take up for who wants to us bait

madarchery said:
Your method is to boycott use strong tactics, involve more goverment. Well you may be able to win rights thru tyhe courts. But you will not win the respect from the public. Like it or not we need the public to support us. They own the land. We all connot afford land and there is not enough public for all. We think we spend alot of money and that we support the area we live. And in some rural areas and some states we do. But in reality we are a drop in the bucket when it comes to industry profits. And we are a minority. We need to win public support so that the public is willing to help us. We cannot win fitting anti and public if the public is not 100% on our side.

·
Custom callmaker
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YOUR RIGHT the public dont care. Thats why we need pursuade and condition them to care. If they are on our side they will tell and see the anti's for what they are. And hopefully give them what they deserve. But to let the public go on and slowly see the slanted points of the anti we will be even more on the defense.

Yo can go out and get legislation to protect our rights as is being done by the nra and sci and the like. But it can only go so far. The law is a peice of paper easily dicarded if the anti's appeal and amend the laws. Its alot of money spent if the public does not Appreciate what we do as a hunting community.

We need a public relations organization to get this across. We don't need another defensive org. to pound its our right as it maybe taken the same way laweyers tring to acquit a known killer.

We need the public to care.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
we already have that. the puplic know what we are doing and how it help the country. the proplem they dont care. look at emission do you think the puplic cares about the polution? no but the goverment is force them to make the world cleaner. the puplic dont care if there car is less emmision then 20 years ago but the goverment and the anti groups is force them to buy cleaner cars. do you think people who live 2 miles where you hunt care that you hunt there? no but if anti come to them and let them know it and tell them that you may shot them they care. they run to the local office and tell them to band hunting in that area. you can go to them and said it no way you can shoot you bow that far but they dont care. that is what i saying that is where we need to force the courts to let us hunt there and how it benifits the state to allow us to hunt there. if just one year we dont buy hunting and fishing lic do you know we can bring the state to there knees. we control them just in lic fees the anti dont spend one dime not to hunt we do it about time we let them know it. the way we let them know it to put the money where our mouth is.

have you not herd the squickey wheel get the oil. lets be the squicky wheel

·
Custom callmaker
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the public care about polution. Yell yes. They do care but idividually they do not know how to force the companies(money is on the line) to care. And to boycott cars is not an option.

To boycott license. You will bring state wildlife to there knees but not the state. Who you trying to hurt. How does putting k-mart and gov't out of business help against the anti. The public would see the hard handed tactics and say screw the hunters.

You need the gov't to controll the radical antis yes but you will acheive that thru the public ina majority vote if they respect the hunters.

The anti boycott the fur industry but the boycott did not bring it down, its the public perception of the "cruel methods" for fur and the wide publicity that it acheived thru ads and respected people that killed the industry.

See how the anti's are using the public to persuade them into voting for there guys and slanting how we do things and bring attention to our bickering in to public view. We need to do the same but instead of an assault on anti's directly we need start by countering by promoting the sport.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts