Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go ahead and post some stories about hunts/ experiences that didnt go the way you wanted them too! I had a big one last year. It cost me a wall mounter 8 pointer which I still kick my self in the as$ everytime I think about it. Pulled back on a 8 point when he was 35 yards away. I was hunting on the ground and thought he was going a diff way so I pulled back and was going to shot but he kept coming at me. He got closer and closer until he was 10 yards away! By this time I was shaking and my bow arm did a quick let go but I caught it. Well so did he. White tail was all I saw, didnt see him again but my hunting bud did a couple weeks later. Well, at least he got to breed!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
First ever turkey hunt. I have 6 hens and a tom land 70 yards away at first light. They feed their way over to within 56 yards of my position. I take the shot without my range finder thinking it's a solid 50 yard shot. Arrow sails just a hair underneath him. He jumps and runs off, taking flight to cross the creek. The hens feed their way over and join him in the woods.

Next hunt, Hens and tom drop down. Tom stays on edge of field gobbling his head off, 2 hens peel off and they head over the creek and into the timber.

Next hunt, I sit on the field for 3 hours with nothing heard or seen. At 9:00 I move over to a creek crossing that leads up a clearing on a ridge and a small clearing up on top where I know they strut. At 9:30 guess who comes out and strolls right by where my blind was set up? Yup, the same tom. He's waddling along, weaving around cattle without a care in the world. I make one soft series of yelps, and a soft cluck/pur and I shut up. He's 150 yards away. Two places they cross the creek, he choses not to cross at my position, but after one hour I hear him up in the woods fairly close. He crossed down a ways but circled in towards me. I make two or three soft clucks and pur and put it away. He gobbles and I hear him coming in closer and closer....I wait silently. Bam out pops a coyote. Coyote likes my decoys but doesn't like the blind, he runs up where the gobbler is. End of hunt.

Learning experience? Unlike deer I don't think you can apply logic to turkey hunting. They land and go different ways every day. I have learned turkeys are to dumb to try and pattern like a deer. I don't think they even know what they're going to do. About ready to throw out Tony the Tiger and see what happens!!!!!!

Not sure what to do next, tom and hens haven't been seen in the field for a few days. Not sure where they are spending their time now.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
My first hog hunt was a deal I found on ebay for $100. Never seen a hog and the 'guide' left 5 minutes after we got there for a business trip and we were pretty much stranded with no idea where to go or what to do. Had we not drove 15 hrs to get there we would have slit the guys throat and drove back. With nothing else to do we sat there most of the first day until the guys brother got off work and 'accidently' showed up(not even knowing we were there). He appologized for his brother and took us out to a spot to hunt.

He tried and under the circumstances I couldn't place any blame on him(he didn't even know we would be there)......but the brother that set it all up......nothing good to say about him.:wink:

·
Registered
24,952 Posts
i learned no to shoot at alert deer that are looking at you.

last season i had a huge 8 with a along point coming off one of the spikes. he came into about 25 yds and i stopped him. he looked at me, i fired he dropped to the ground and my arrow went over. watched him run off then walk around 40 yds from my stand where i couldnt get another shot off.

another thing i learned from taking my brother turkey hunting. tape his mouth shut cause when ever a bird comes in he starts saying mark mark a bird. also learned never tell him a birds coming in because when you say dont move a bird coming in, he might turn is head really fast, say where really loud and the bird might run of:angry: i think ever turkey hunt with him will be a flop until he learns to listen. o well its still fun:D

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I get them every year

I learn from some stupid mistake every year. I just try to avoid making the same mistake twice ( even though I have done that too ). I was once invited to kill a bunch of deer for a guy in Ohio that had crop damage permits. I hunted until I was tired of hunting and didn't see a deer.:thumbs_do

1 - 5 of 5 Posts