Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since hunting season is coming up I figure the trespasser's are getting geared up as well. Lets hear about you best encounter with a trespasser. You outlaws out there can even tell about the time when you were young and dumb and got caught trespassing yourself.

I will start, I am lucky because my mother and father's family both own adjacent parcels of land. This works out to be a few hundred acres with large treed areas on the north and south end and a ditch which runs N to S which is tree lined. Now this dividing tree line is important. I first started hunting when I was around 14 and I was a strictly waterfowl hunter. All the good areas for waterfowl hunting was on the W side of the dividing line, meaning we didn't spend much if any time on the E side. A few years ago my cousin on my mothers side was sitting on my dads land and had a guy approach him. The guys first words were do you know where the H3## you are! Well my cousin was exactly where he needed to be and can be a bit of a smart alec so he said "I'm right here in a tree, I must have some good camo if you cant see me from there!" Well the guy goes on this huge tirade about how he is the only one with permission on all these parcels also that he owns a large portion of them, drops my last name saying he is personal friends with the owner and knows that no one else has permission to hunt there and asks my cousin his name. Since my cousins last name is different from mine the guy was trying to say he was 300yrds on the wrong side of the property line from where he should be. Finally after my cousin let the guy talk himself into a nice hole he texted me to come on over out of the other field and introduce myself. When I got there introduced myself and dropped my last name which happens to be the same as the mans on the deed his story changed quickly. He went from saying that he owned or had permission on everything around there to saying he only owned one 20 acre parcel and didn't have permission to be anywhere but there. Haven't seen him since but it was nice of him to plant that food plot in my enclosed field for me.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I hear ya people come up with the dumbest things I had a guy come up to me and ask me what I was doing on his land and that i needed to turn around and get off and the next time he caught me out there I would be shot.. I laughed so hard i almost cried. he looked so bumb founded! Then I asked him what he was doing out here? he said the same thing you are hunting deer. I said you are not hunting deer your Tresspassing im the one hunting. This is my land sir I pay the taxes and the loan and last I knew My payments are up to date. he turned white as a ghost and said sorry and turned right around.. and always get the common oh I thought this was someone elses land... oh and this turkey season Me and a buddy were sitting by a creek that runs about 30 yards from the road (creek to our backs) and we have birds coming to us from across the field. We hear a truck drive by slam on the brakes back up park on the road get out and walked in right behind us he cross's the creek and gets about 10 ft from us and I was like what the H3** are you doing he had that oh crap look uMMMMMMM that lady up the road said I could hunt here that no one would care i was here I said well I do now get lost you just mess up my hunt. I sware some people can be idoits!!

·
Back down to ground level
16,110 Posts
My son and I were the only ones who had permission to hunt a small 7acre overgrown field. Opening day of shotgun season, I was in a tree in the upper left corner, my son in the lower right. We could see each other. A guy comes walking in with a chair and sits 30yds from my son in the field between us. My son told him he couldn't hunt there, so the guy moves up closer to me and puts the chair down in the middle of the field. I asked him what he thought he was doing. His answer, "The guy across the street said it was OK to hunt here." :doh:

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
"I've hunted here the last twenty years...those are my permanent tree blinds in there. I knew the land was sold, but since my house borders the farm property, I figured I could still hunt." The same guy told me he had taken a buck by shotgun every year but one...so that's 19 bucks. He said "The biggest one I killed was a small 9 pointer...there just ain't no bick deer around here." We are now seeing some descent bucks after 4 years without that guy, but we are still trying to catch a guy brain shooting yearlings with a .22.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Our farm in central Texas has been in my wife's family since 1866. About 15 years ago I found someone had set up a little camp, complete with lantern hanger, fire pit and lean to and about 300 yards south of the little camp they had planted a small food plot. They had a tree stand build in a tree (and left a nice horse blanket there, which I still have!) and even a small box blind. We dismantled it all and have never heard or seen any evidence of their return. We now have a stand near that box blind which we have named "the Poacher's Blind".

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
One time I climbed over a fence and the landowner caught me! He was mad till I explained that I didn't believe God gave people the right to own land and I should be able to go anywhere I wanted per my religion. I asked him if he was going to insult my religion? I decided to just leave since he was there. I didn't like him much, cause I got my briches caught trying to get back over the fence and got hung up for about 5 minutes and ripped my pants, and instead of helping me out he sat there laughing. jack wad!

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I find it hard to believe that so many people trespass on other peoples land. I would never just walk onto someones property and set up a blind. Of course you are going to get caught at some point and i am sure the outcome will not be favorable.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I came home via my field (instead of my driveway) on a day I took off from work. I see a guy sitting in the bed of a truck parked where I had rye planted. I though maybe it was the farmer who cuts my field. I drive over and it's some guy I don't know. He has a shotgun across his knees and is in a folding chair in his pick-up bed. I thought it was a joke at first. I asked him "is this private property your on?" and the the guy smiles and says "yeah but the owner works Wednesdays and I saw some geese here the other day" He proceeds to tell me I could hunt with him if I liked, and he would share the geese with me if we got any. He argued with me when I told him I owned the land. I took his plate and told him I was calling the county. He left, never saw him again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Only problem with trespassers i've ever had was a game warden that got lost in the swamps of my property in NC. if you could call that trespassing. He was about a mile off the road wondering around when i happened to find him. he never wanted to see a license or tags.... he just wanted to know which way the road was.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
years ago we hunted a patch at the end of a road called "ivy drive". We were all young guys, 4 of us total. We went in and hunted that evening and when we came out a guy was waiting for us and asked us for ID. My buddy says who the ##[email protected]# are you? and the guy says he is a warden so of course we ask for some ID and he produces it. We really had no choice but the jump the guy, tie him up, wipe the scene and get out. We were all wearing face paint or masks so nobody could identify us.

This was about 20 years ago and I am still living undercover. Don't anybody on AT tell.....:cool:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
years ago we hunted a patch at the end of a road called "ivy drive". We were all young guys, 4 of us total. We went in and hunted that evening and when we came out a guy was waiting for us and asked us for ID. My buddy says who the ##[email protected]# are you? and the guy says he is a warden so of course we ask for some ID and he produces it. We really had no choice but the jump the guy, tie him up, wipe the scene and get out. We were all wearing face paint or masks so nobody could identify us.

This was about 20 years ago and I am still living undercover. Don't anybody on AT tell.....:cool:
i spit my drink out LOL

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I had a guy try to tell me he owned part of a WMA. He put up posted signs and everthing. I called the game warden and them signs came down fast.

·
Registered
286 Posts
went to my buddys property last august with him and we get there and the gate is cut open.
so we get out of my truck and sneek back there.
we catch 5 guys out there with 9 deer (season dont start till october 1st) so we call the dnr they come out go back there with the dnr and 4 out of the 5 guys they were looking for for other poaching cases needless to say havent had anyone else back on his land since then (that we know of)

·
Registered
470 Posts
My buddy owns some land right near the newly bought county property, and when i was younger i hunted turkeys right on the line sometimes stepping in the swamp line maybe 30 yards in to catch the tom, i had a guy come running out the woods yelling we were on his property I walked thirty yards backed and said sorry, latter that year i hunted near the same spot and after the sun came up and all i saw a tom take off in my direction, crawling right behind him the same guy that called me out. i let him get kinda cozzy before i stood up ten feet from him and called him out. Well now since its county land are diffrences has changed, haha

·
Registered
44 Posts
Someone stole a trophy rock from my hunting property just the other day. Some poeple will steal just about anything that they can get there hands on.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I don't know if you'd call it "trespassing", but many years ago I was at a large hunting expo and met Bob Foulkrod, the professional hunter. We struck up a conversation and pretty soon he was telling me how he was going to hunt elk on Yellowstone National Park land. He said he had "special permission". I asked him if he didn't mean he was going to hunt on the outside of the perimeter of the park, which is obviously a popular area. He said no, in the park.

At that time I was working for the company that provided all of the petroleum products sold in the park and had lived in Wyoming for 3 years and made several visits to the park. Not wanting to start an argument, I just nodded my head and walked off.

The next day I called Yellowstone and talked to the park manager. I asked him if any permits had been granted to hunt in the Park. He laughed and said "no way". I always wonder whether or not Bob actually tried to hunt in there. The way some of these "professionals" are, it wouldn't surprise me!

·
Registered
205 Posts
We have had several run in with people. When we first got permission to hunt the 160 acreas, nobody was supposed to be in there. The land is owned by a lady from Ga. The land had been in her family since the OK land run. The people that rented the land 10 years ago left and the persons that hunted it kepted on hunting it. When we went in the guy had planted three food plots. Once we finally found the guy after we found the hole in the fence ffrom hius house to the property, we told him about the land owner and we had all the rights to the land. He didnt even know the land owners name. We let him hunt the food plots that year but after that had couldnt come in. Well for the next three years several things happened. The gate was run over, stands were stolen, game cameras were shot up, feeders were knock over and shot up. We even had the police go to his house once. But the best was the first year, after we had placed new posted signs, installed a new gate, and mowed the easement, when we got out of the truck on the very first morning to hunt the property. As we are walking to the stands a truck pulls up to the gate. It sits there for a minute and then leaves. When we get back to the truck after the morning hunt the guy is waiting by his truck at the gate. We go up and ask him what he wants. He says that he has a few deer stands out there and wants to get them back. When we asked him when he hung them he said that it was after we installed all the signs and new gate. My buddy was pissed. I could see that he really wanted to say mre to the guy but didnt. The guy starts asking about the landowner like he knew her. Said she gave him permission, but since we had the signed lease agreement I think he was lying. I walked with him th get his stands down. We could have kept them but I didnt think it was wise or the right thing to do. Never saw him again. Over the years we have found the gate opened, dead hogs lying around, patches of deer hair in the food plots, truck tracks in the mud. You name it we have seen it. Its not as bad now that we are there all the time though. I gues people figure it out after a while and since we live only 4 miles away we can get there easily to watch the property.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i had a funny one while in the stand once

it was during the time the fall turke and archery overlap and this dude come walking up to my stand and asks who the i was and i why i was there. i replied with with "who i am is unimportant right now, and i wanna know who you are?" he tells me his name and says old man (my last name) said i could hunt here anytime i wanted. I giggled alittle and said " lemmie tell ya something man, if your name isn't the same as mine you dont hunt here unless invited and i know you never asked my father permission to hunt here and if you did he would have said no so get stepping!"

he then tells me he is gonna call my dad and make sure i get my ass kicked for kicking him off my own land...i politely gave him my dad number and said cant wait to hear from ya!

best one ever for me however was the guy that came up to me in spring gobbler and said and i quote! " you had better hope the land owner doesn't catch you up here he'll whip your little butt!" i said "now why would kick my own butt when i could be kickin yours?" hows about you walk right back down the hill junior!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Tresspassers

During last years two week gun season I was taking a break, didn't hunt one morning. 11:30 am at the breakfast table when I hear all this shooting out my side door. I grab my 45 pistol and an orange vest and investigate. Find a blood trail across my neighbors driveway so I follow the trail to find a kid with a straw hat on on my neighbors land.

The place is laid out in a 9 hole golf course configuration with woods seperating each hole. He has about 50 acres next to my 22 acres. This kid is sitting on a bridge used for mowers to cross with his gun. He says, me and my uncles hunt here all the time and there are 5 of us in a line. They were doing a drive. So I tell him to get his relatives and get out of here they are tresspassing.

I go back and get my wife and we start blood trailing the deer. I look behind me and there are 6 guys behind me all dressed the same with the straw hats
( Amish). I tell them they are treespassing to hit the road. I know where their camp is about 3/4 of a mile up the road. They leave but want me to give them the deer if I find it. Fat chance. Pissed off now I call DNR. About an hour later the DNR police show up and I tell him the story.

We go to their camp and DNR police checks them completely; guns, amo, deer hanging, licenses everything and they admit to tesspassing. They all get tickets.

Court date is Feb 3. Go to court they don't show. Judge issues bench warrants for all of them with bail set at $3,000 each.

Don't show up for court you are guilty!

This is just one story I have for the 25 years I have been living here! LOL

1 - 20 of 63 Posts