Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
65,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hardworking and honest (except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provid e other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too is hardworking and honest, except for that breaking in part). If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hardworking and honest, um, except for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?! Only in America....if you agree, pass it on (in English). Share it if you see the value of it as a good simile. If not blow it off along with your f uture Social Security funds.

:beer: :tea:

Received from a friend....

·
Registered
303 Posts
break in

Ok you have a good point . I live ten minutes from the mexican border .So we have had the minuteman project Which my wife and I had a huge conflict over I thought it was a good idea she was sure it was going to be a disaster.

I fell the same was as youdo about what your talking about .But we also have to look at it from another stand point .There are jobs out there that Us as americans will not even think about doing (ie;) will you be willing to go out and pick chilli for less than minimum wage or clean hotel rooms or pick fruit for less than minimum wage I think not.

If our government would give them a work visa program I think it would work to keep them from trying to get here and live the so called good life illegally . Yes it is wrong what they do to get here dont get me wrong their country even celebrates the ones who get here as marters .It gets very frustrating that we deal with it on a daily basses .

I have ones who dont know english come in where I work and get mad because Idont know their language .Well if I went down there I sure better know how to speak their language . frustrating .

Iknow it sounds that Im contradicting myself but there are a lot of pros and cons to the whole thing of illegal immigration.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If these jobs that no one else will do would pay enough there's be plenty of people to do them. Would products cost more-sure-but not as much as supporting the illegals through the current system.
JMHO

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If the American WELFARE SYSTEM stopped creating an environment whereby it is better paying to be on welfare than working the "jobs that Americans will not do" this argument would not be valid. m

I just do not understand where this " I would rather do nothing than work for less than a certain amount" comes from. It is definitely not an attitude that founded this country. I distinctly remember doing farm work for $3 per day and my determination to get a better job, BUT I did the farm work until I got a better offer. I had no choice, I worked or I took charity---I have always chosen work over charity.

·
Banned
7,817 Posts
My cousin just moved from a sheriff's station to a national guard post in Arizona and his post alone stopped 150 illegals in the last week...

It ain't slowin' down anytime soon, unfortunately...

·
Administrator
65,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed it is a tough situation, unfortunately, we have to do something to turn it around... soon.... :wink: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
work visa's

Let just say that I worked for a large Commercial, Industrial electrical Outfit in Texas.
Let's also say that about 8 years ago this contractor helped about a dozen Imigrants get work visa's. Well I have since gone on to greener pastures and guess who shows up to go to work with the company I now work for, you guessed it except not with visa's but with documentation, i.e. Drivers license, SS cards the whole bit. It so happened that I needed several guy's on a Naval job, which meant that they would be looked at verry closely. anyway the superintendant sent them to my project. I guess they got lost they never showed up. Point is work visa's just give them time to find False Documents.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
IGluIt4U said:
Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hardworking and honest (except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provid e other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too is hardworking and honest, except for that breaking in part). If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hardworking and honest, um, except for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?! Only in America....if you agree, pass it on (in English). Share it if you see the value of it as a good simile. If not blow it off along with your f uture Social Security funds.

:beer: :tea:

Received from a friend....

Where do I find this housekeeper and yardman??

I need them :)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It's an invasion, make note of the Mexican flags at their demonstrations, if fact some groups come right out and claim we're the intruders. Should be interesting in there near future.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
tmarch said:
If these jobs that no one else will do would pay enough there's be plenty of people to do them. Would products cost more-sure-but not as much as supporting the illegals through the current system.
JMHO
I go along with tmarch.In my area the packing house industry was very big.The work was very hard,but the pay was the best in the area.The people that worked at the packing plants had the new homes,cars and boats.They worked hard and earned all they got.Then in the mid 60's a packing giant moved into the area.They would not pay the local wages.The union workers went on strike and the packer sent recruiters to bus in illigal imigrants.They broke the unions and the wages dropped by many dollars an hour.Now mostly illigals work the packing plants and say they do it because the Americans won't do the work.That is BS.The packers won't pay the wages is the real reason.How do I make these statments?Because I was one of the managers at the packer that took them all down.I was there and I was part of it.

I don't hold it against the hispanic people.In fact I don't blame them a bit for trying to make a better life.It is the politics of it that are wrong and need to be corrected.But the statment that Americans will not do the jobs they do are not for the reasons stated.

·
Registered
40,174 Posts
they will cause the financial downfall of our nation through our welfare and social programs taxpayers will revolt and the country will be in the midst of a revolution and all because we cant say no ....if we say no we are racists we are bigots etc.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Revolution

sean said:
they will cause the financial downfall of our nation through our welfare and social programs taxpayers will revolt and the country will be in the midst of a revolution and all because we cant say no ....if we say no we are racists we are bigots etc.
call me when shootin starts,i want to play

·
Registered
40,174 Posts
as a citizen of the USA we trade our elegance to our nation for protection ...protection from foreign entities protection from those who would do us harm ...do you feel protected ? we hold up our end of the deal its time they started holding up theirs ... stop the foreign invaders before they out number us in our own country ...

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I had this huge discussion with a friend of mine in the army on sunday.

How long do we think it is going to take for terrorists to walk across the border? They don't need a nuke... give a few guys AK's and let them walk into a shopping center, mall, train station, airport... and open fire. Regardless of what happens in movies a full auto AK-47 will put holes through people in a hurry. - Not sure if anyone ever read the book Claws of the Tiger, but it describes this very clearly... and it is a very real scenario.

I'm glad we have the troops to secure Iraq, and pay to rebuild the whole country. I'm glad we have the troops to secure South Korea and pay their goverment billions in aid...

so Why can we protect entire countries, but we can't guard our own border w/ Mexico?

I am 100% in favor of very strong punishment directed at any who: employ, support, house, or pay illegal immigrants.

As for the wages... make people EARN their welfare, Make it "Goverment subsidized wages". If a local farmer will pay min wage and you can demonstrate why you need to earn more then the goverment will add 2 - 3.00 / hour to your rate.

90% of the people on welfare are playing the system, they have no reason why they can't work, they live in housing where they pay 100.00 or less a month rent and all their food is gotten through Stamps and WIC. Personally I'm tired of paying for people to live off goverment assistance programs.

GET A JOB YOU LAZY *******S!

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Apparently the US Court systems see no problem with Illegal Immigrants, living, working, and abusing our legal system.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,102928,00.html (lawsuit vs Walmart, brought by illegal immigrants working for a cleaning company)

"The federal lawsuit has other features that may surprise Americans. Employment of illegal aliens is prohibited under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (search), so each plaintiff has conceded in the complaint that he is without legal immigration status and is removable from the U.S. Nonetheless, each plaintiff asserts a right to pay, owed for work performed, that approximates that which a person with legal immigration status would have received for the same work, to include back pay and overtime.

Such claims are authorized under the National Labor Relations Act (search), which governs back pay claims for all people in the U.S. without regard to their immigration status. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 does nothing to restrict an illegal alien’s right to advance a back pay claim, in recognition of the strong American belief that all people should be paid for work they have done.

The New Jersey plaintiffs’ complaint reads like a novel. Some plaintiffs contend that companies created specifically to employ illegal immigrants and skirt employment laws hired them. They were generally paid $350.00 in cash for a seven-day workweek. Their employers withheld no payroll taxes, and as a result, they contend, paid nothing in the way of social security. Wal-Mart, they allege, was aware of these arrangements and actively conspired with plaintiffs’ employers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/16/AR2006081601433.html - ("legal" aliens suing because they aren't being paid enough)

NEW ORLEANS, Aug. 16 -- Latin Americans hired as legal "guest workers" by a major hotel group filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday contending that they were recruited with false promises of good earnings and instead have been left with thousands of dollars in debt for their visas, recruitment fees and journeys here.

They are among the thousands of legal and illegal immigrants who came after Hurricane Katrina, in some cases replacing African Americans displaced by the storm.

nd the best one... http://www.sofmag.com/news/permalink1/2006/7/16/1206430314902.html - you just have to read it

·
Registered
770 Posts
Invasion!!

Everything you consider good in this great country and everything you consider bad in this great country, you may lay "directly at the feet of the US Congress" over the past 50 years or so! This also includes all of us citizens who did or did not vote for them! This situtation is a perfect example of Congressional greed and pandering and further it shows just how much "crap" Americans will generally pay no attention to. The middle class is being taxed into submission. Truth is no longer truth, until it has been "spun". The larger government grows the less freedom you have. And only a government who afraid of it's citizens, trys to control them. We are all doing our best to reconize this problem and do our part to solve it, but the "status Quo" will be hard to change sinse 45 % or more of the population recives some form of government check every month.
Bill W.

·
Registered
40,174 Posts
we could mine the boarder effectively from the air in 24 hours or less keeping our boarder safe for fifty years mine fields work and work well they are cheap and need no maintenance other than to discard the carcases of those stupid enough to try their luck ....

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Did anyone see Pat Buchanan on Lou Dobbs the other night? He has a new book out about this and it really sheds some light on the situation. Pat is brutally honest about it and that is what this country needs.

Of course you already have some groups calling him a racist, etc. When a certain group has no other legs to stand on they will always throw the race card. People have been so brow beaten into being PC that they generally go running like cock roaches.

Well there is an old saying that the truth hurts. The American people have these people pegged and they know it. It seems to me that the hispanic community would do some policing of their own. The problem is so rampant, that you can not look at a hispanic person without thinking they are illegal. Yet our elected officials have done nothing.

Why has this issue only become important during an election year? Why is it that NOTHING is going to be done about it until after November?

It sickens me how both parties are pandering for the hispanic vote.

Before you decide to vote out all the do nothing Republicans this November. Pat said that if the Democrats take control of the House and Senate they will pass this Amnesty bill and the president will sign it.

So who do you vote for? Seems to me, either way the American people are going to continue to get screwed all in the name of cheap labor.

Who did these jobs before this invasion? Did they not exist?

I think there needs to be a "NO VOTE" on these ballots.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts