Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if these type of threads have been done to death, but hey.... it's Saturday, the deserts are full of rutty coues & mulies, I have a tag in my backpack..... and I'm stuck working. :sad::sad::sad:

Doesn't have to be the biggest, let's see the one you're most proud of and hear a little bit about it.

For me, it's my first deer. Not my first muley or first archery buck: he's my first any type of deer with any weapon/season. I spent more years than I will confess to out there bow-hiking and scaring stuff away before around 2006-2007 time frame I got real serious about it, busted my tail for a couple years scouting, glassing and trying real hard, and finally in January '08 after 14 days of hunting hard I was able to put a 50 yard shot on this guy and claim my very first deer. It was a terrible shot, broke his back, and dropped him in his tracks, but as I got him right at sundown and had no time and or experience with blood trailing anything, it was a blessing that he dropped like a sack of potatoes. I put two more in him (pin-cushion, not pretty - but effective) and then ran for home to get a more experienced friend to help gut & cape him out. That season was all about sweat, crap weather & perseverance and the lessons have led to many more deer since then.

S6300155.jpg

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
My biggest also happens to be my best ;)

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I'm probably proudest of this guy so far. He was my first elk and my first traditional kill. Plus my best friend Jack gave me his custom recurve that I killed it with plus Jack also called him in to me. We worked the bull on Saturday but the wind got bad so we backed out. Sunday we went in and he answered we gave chase. Crossed the canyon and he bugled just over the point. We scrambled over and set up. The bull came in pissed raking everything he could find. He stood and raked for 3+minutes at 20 yards with no shot. Finally he turned and stepped out at about 12 yards. I hit him right through the heart he went 60 yards and pilled up. North Idaho bull

IMG_20180120_162502947.jpg

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
the one you just wrote about? Great hunt and great deer! Good times!
Lol thanks but there's another. My first bull elk after 4 cows. I'll see if I can find a pic. Great muley btw!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
My free range bison with a bow. Great hunt and a once in a lifetime hunt.

·
RJ
3,335 Posts
Lol thanks but there's another. My first bull elk after 4 cows. I'll see if I can find a pic. Great muley btw!
FEAR the man who can kill a bull elk and force the beast to lodge between two trees.... I love that photo David!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome bull trophyhill! I’ve only been graced with a couple elk tags and haven’t filled one yet. My hunting partner and I are going into the draw with 7 bonus points each this year, so I think we’ve got pretty good chances of pulling tags this year.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
This is a lot tougher question to answer than I first thought. I mean, there are so many that could qualify.
First deer ever, with my Dad when I was 12.
Finally putting down a spot and stalk pronghorn with a bow, after so many years of trying.

But, I'd have to go with this little guy.
My 2nd bowkill.
Before I called this bull into 18yds and put a Bear Razorhead through his lungs... I really wasn't even sure it was possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Apparently I’m not smart enough to post pictures off of my smartphone?
Go advanced, download file, upload, close window ;)

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Thanks ZTI! Lol Rory. It was the perfect photo op. Field dressing was the fun part ;) Zane, it must truly have been awesome to hunt with your dad! Had my dad been a hunter, those surely would have been cherished memories. great thread Zero! Can't wait to see a lot of fine animals and hear the stories.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not an archery deer but my sons biggest muzzleloader deer to date.

We worked our tail off for this deer, or not necessarily this deer but that season. Spot and stalked this deer and crawled for hundreds of yards through mud and weeds. One shot and one kill, just the way it should be! It’s on the wall in his room now and he loves to show it off, he was 10 at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
My best trophy would not be mine it would be my wife's ..2016 we had been married 2yrs neither her or I had ever hunted deer. We both put in the draw and she drew a tag we scouted all summer and found some really nice bucks the first morning we found one we had been looking for but in the thick trees and never could get a shot,the rest of the 1st 2nd and 3rd day we found many bucks but all forks and small 3s and I kept telling her wait find one of the bigger ones again..As we left camp the 4th morning 4am hiking up the canyon she turned to me and said "I came here to shoot a deer so either u let me shoot one or im shooting u, " "you can find a trophy when you draw" at that moment I knew she she wasn't passing again and she didn't first buck we saw she shot off hand 108 yrds... She has been hooked ever since. When the draws came out this yr she didn't talk to me the hole day because I drew a tag and she didn't ...This yr she took the 2 weeks off and came with me on my first hunt ..bow hunt January NM. For 5 days she was on every stalk I blew till on the 5th day I got it right. The 1st pic is her deer and mine is the second 2 without a doubt hers ment more not because it was a massive buck because that hunt hooked us both and gave me the best hunting partner I could ask for

Attachments

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,171 Posts
Favorite...thats a tough one. I'm pretty happy with recurve kills now....more so that past Compound kill....though I haven't been able to consistently hunt with my Curve due to my bad elbow now far a couple years.

This water buff hunt in Australia had to be one of my most interesting hunts. I put a good stalk on this bugger. They are harder to stalk than one would think as if they see you they either split right away...or worse they wander over curious as to what you are and if they don't like what they see...they stomp a mud hole in you.

This bull was feeding along there edge of a billabong [big meadow]. The guide was cool and he hung back behind my buddy and I...my buddy filming [its on Bowsite videos,'Aust. buff hunt'] We snuck in through the jungle bordering the billabong- pretty noisy so it took about 1/2 hr to go the last 100 yds. I got about 45 yds from him feeding along the edge of the jungle when he decided with walk a trail into the jungle that we were set up on.

We were camo'd up in the leafy stuff so invisible to him, he looked our way but right though us ....and here he comes slogging slowly closer 40yds...30 yds....20 yds and now he comes to a little fork in the trail that either comes directly at us....or forks to another trail going about 11 yds away. We are so close now I can hear his labored breath and am trying not to think about the sheer mass of this thick beast. I distinctly remember the sound of the guides safety clicking off another 40 yds behind us.

Just about the time I resigned my self that I would take a frontal shot and best to just hunker down so the guide behind us can get a clear shot....vs having us run willy nilly in his line of sight screaming like little girls. The bull takes the other trail.....whew. Now I draw as his head goes behind one of those palm type tree and drill him while walking at 11 yds. The 840gr arrow just disappears like in slo mo [actually at 223 fps it was slo mo!] The bull takes couple quick steps and stops, turns, looking around. I can see the entire length of the arrow sticking out of him at a 90 degree angle just held in by the fletch.

The bull sees it too....cranes his neck around and sniffs the arrow....spooks again. All this in maybe 15 seconds. He stops again at 30 yds and I drill him with another insurance arrow though it wasn't necessary....he takes a few quick steps away on the second shot and hit the ground like the dumping of a huge boulder. Memorable....and more so when we were charged by a wounded buff later in the trip that trampled our assistant guide almost killing him.
water buff 06cropped resized.jpg

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Favorite...thats a tough one. I'm pretty happy with recurve kills now....more so that past Compound kill....though I haven't been able to consistently hunt with my Curve due to my bad elbow now far a couple years.

This water buff hunt in Australia had to be one of my most interesting hunts. I put a good stalk on this bugger. They are harder to stalk than one would think as if they see you they either split right away...or worse they wander over curious as to what you are and if they don't like what they see...they stomp a mud hole in you.

This bull was feeding along there edge of a billabong [big meadow]. The guide was cool and he hung back behind my buddy and I...my buddy filming [its on Bowsite videos,'Aust. buff hunt'] We snuck in through the jungle bordering the billabong- pretty noisy so it took about 1/2 hr to go the last 100 yds. I got about 45 yds from him feeding along the edge of the jungle when he decided with walk a trail into the jungle that we were set up on.

We were camo'd up in the leafy stuff so invisible to him, he looked our way but right though us ....and here he comes slogging slowly closer 40yds...30 yds....20 yds and now he comes to a little fork in the trail that either comes directly at us....or forks to another trail going about 11 yds away. We are so close now I can hear his labored breath and am trying not to think about the sheer mass of this thick beast. I distinctly remember the sound of the guides safety clicking off another 40 yds behind us.

Just about the time I resigned my self that I would take a frontal shot and best to just hunker down so the guide behind us can get a clear shot....vs having us run willy nilly in his line of sight screaming like little girls. The bull takes the other trail.....whew. Now I draw as his head goes behind one of those palm type tree and drill him while walking at 11 yds. The 840gr arrow just disappears like in slo mo [actually at 223 fps it was slo mo!] The bull takes couple quick steps and stops, turns, looking around. I can see the entire length of the arrow sticking out of him at a 90 degree angle just held in by the fletch.

The bull sees it too....cranes his neck around and sniffs the arrow....spooks again. All this in maybe 15 seconds. He stops again at 30 yds and I drill him with another insurance arrow though it wasn't necessary....he takes a few quick steps away on the second shot and hit the ground like the dumping of a huge boulder. Memorable....and more so when we were charged by a wounded buff later in the trip that trampled our assistant guide almost killing him.
View attachment 6372839
I'd say that would be memorable!
Sheese!
I'll be looking for that video... didn't know there was one!

·
Lacking Gravitas
64,489 Posts

That is an awesome pic! The way he dropped with his heed between the trees makes that rack look more impressive than any pic with you crouched way behind it ever could.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,171 Posts
x2 Mebbe Bruce could post a link.
Here you go .....Resolution is crap......loaded many years ago. OP said not the biggest...but at 1800-2000# ...it was the biggest by a long shot.

"Stalk on an Aust buff"
[video]http://www.bowhunting.tv/playBowhuntingVideo.cfm?file=2 008991124770554&id=633[/video]

1 - 20 of 64 Posts