Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I posted about a limb/tiller bolt that broke on my Hoyt Helix. This was the old style ( not the latest ones Hoyt now has ). The bolt that broke appears to be cast aluminum. It broke while shooting NOT tightening it . I can't believe they aren't machined SS or just a machined steel. You folks that shoot Win Win risers or another kind, what are yours made of. I have just been puzzled since it broke as to how it could happen. Limbwalker if you read this what are the ones on your new SKY made of? Lastly if have anybody has the new style Hoyt bolts what do they appear to be made out of? I'm also attaching the picture I had in my last post.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ted

Attachments

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,768 Posts
i have never seen this before. That is scary. And odd that George has not responded since its a Hoyt bow.

Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
Heard that the latest matrix(I think 2006) with the "new" aluminium limb bolts had the same issue.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
They can't make them out of SS because of gauling. SS and aluminum threads wont work... unless you use an anti seize product.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
That's because they did a poor job on materials selection. The later limb bolts (Avalon + and later) are in fact steel. And as a matter of fact, the threaded inserts that the limb bolts thread into are made of aluminum, which as you said, galls pretty awfully.

Source: I just had an Avalon + repaired that had this exact issue. I can post pictures of the fix if anyone wants.

AN

·
Registered
492 Posts
W&W bolts are also cast and anodized/plated. I've had 2 W&W risers where the anodizing/plating is flaking off.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
So, what does the rest of the world do? I seem not to remember this issue on other riser manufacturer's products.

I'm all for a better product so why are we re-inventing the flat-tire?

Pun on ...the wheel. Just could not resist it. :))))))

Regards,

Tom

·
Genesis 21:20
22,534 Posts
SS and aluminum threads wont work... unless you use an anti seize product.
Which is exactly what we used to do with the old, good, stainless limb bolts on the earlier Hoyt risers - like the ones my Axis is sporting right now. A little CVA anti-seize stick compound (from my muzzleloader kit) and they turn like butter.

·
Life is short, live it!
1,193 Posts
Which is exactly what we used to do with the old, good, stainless limb bolts on the earlier Hoyt risers - like the ones my Axis is sporting right now. A little CVA anti-seize stick compound (from my muzzleloader kit) and they turn like butter.
And I thought that was only good for breech plugs. How am I going to get the white lithium grease out so I can replace it with plug grease? Does your local ACE archery store sell that TOO? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
There have been four styles of Hoyt limb bolts (names in brackets are the risers that use them, as I recall):

- The first was a machined steel job (Radian, Elan, Avalon, Avalon+, Axis, Aerotec, Matrix)
- These were replaced with an aluminium duplicate, anodised black. The black colour seems to have been the main reason for the switch, but I don't know Hoyt's internal reasoning. These did suffer a few failures, because the aluminium wasn't as strong as the steel of the same thickness. (Later Aerotec, later Matrix, early Helix, early Nexus)
- A reinforced black aluminium bolt was introduced to fix this, basically it was the same bolt but the head was deeper and with rounded edges - possibly the one in the OP. (later Helix, later Nexus, GMX, RX)
- Finally there is the current positionable system which alleviates the problems first by being steel (thus stronger) and secondly by laying itself flat on the limb it reduces stress through the bolt. (HPX, ION-X)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does any one know off hand if the new limb bolts by Hoyt that are positionable will work on my Helix?

Ted

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found out that the new Hoyt limb bolts are actually SS I called LAS tech services and asked them. My my new limb bolts should be here today. Hoyt is replacing my old ones free. We will see if they sent the new SS style. I'm hoping!!!

Ted

·
Genesis 21:20
22,534 Posts
And I thought that was only good for breech plugs. How am I going to get the white lithium grease out so I can replace it with plug grease? Does your local ACE archery store sell that TOO? :)
Hot water, soap, and your wife's toothbrush... ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts