Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are most of you doing? Are you just doing scent elimination, not doing any scent control, or taking it further and using a cover scent? I've read about different cover scents from deer smells, other animals, smoke or natural tree smells.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Smoke ALL the way. Nothing i've tried over many years has ever worked so well. But it is taboo. and frankly that's OK. What will the industry do when people find out how well it works. Hickory chips will go to $100 a bag LOL,,

·
Registered
344 Posts
I mostly climb real high, watch the wind , try to keep clean and wear rubber boots. This year though going to experiment a bit more ,as I've been getting picked off a lot lately.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I took my normal cover scent and added some vanilla to the bottle. Not sure how well it works but first day I used it I killed a deer and then the last sit I had I had a few deer come from down wind of me and walked within 10 yards of me. So I think I'll keep using it for time being

·
Registered
204 Posts
Deer Dander....love this stuff. I hunted the other day...sprayed some on the bottom of my boots. After 15 minutes in the stand...had a small 6 point come in with his nose to the ground...following my footsteps. I've had this happen numerous times.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
A dog can smell a bag of pot in a gas tank a deer can smell better then a dog. That is why I believe there is no such thing as a cover scent.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard someone put skunk scent at the base of his stand to provide cover.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
There isnt a thing as a true cover scent....however, you CAN reduce your scent stream, but you will never eliminate it.... skunk is 'prolly the strongest "cover scent" one can use if one wanted to use it....just dont get it on you, your clothing or vehicle, etc.... use rubber/nitril gloves, keep the bottle in a zip lock baggie, and put that in another zip lock baggie and a third if needed... dip a twig in the bottle and spread on surrounding tree's, grass, rocks downwind of you 5 yds or so away.....did I say, dont get it on you ....

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I try to control my scent as much as possible and hunt the wind whenever I can. I keep my backpack and all of my camo layers in rubbermaid or sterilite totes and throw in a few fresh earth scent wafers. I use odor free shower soap and change into my hunting clothes outside the truck when i get to the property. A lot of guys on here will get all worked up and tell you to forget scent control and just hunt the wind, which is great. But I personally don't have the luxury to have a different stand location for every wind direction. I only get a limited number of days to hunt and I'm not gonna stay home just because the wind isn't perfect.

I don't use a lot of cover scents, but i think skunk would be the best just because it will overpower the deer's nose.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't be picky about days and weather either. I have limited days to go and work with the cards I'm dealt. I'll do anything to increase my chances at success.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I like to do the usual scent lock stuff, then spray down with scent killer autumn formula, then from the knees down a coat of natures essence "essence of fall".

·
Hero for Hire
1,322 Posts
I use wind as my primary cover scent.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use evercalm frequently and the good ol scent wafers when I don't use evercalm. Not saying deer have the ability to reason and I move around alot in my climber, but I don't want deer to associate "fresh earth" or evercalm with a hunter. So I mix it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Never have understood using skunk essence. Skunks spray when startled, surely deer(having lived with skunks this long) have realized when a skunk sprays something is up. Therefore putting the deer on alert?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Anybody ever used Nose Jammer? A friend of mine swears by it...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts