Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

I just got word I will be able to hunt 75 acres down in Franklin Penn. this fall. 50 acres of woods with a 2 acre alfalfa fields and pond directlly in the center of it. It sounds almost too good to be true.

Now, since hunting in MI all my life, I was wondering if anybody had any info about this city? I tried searching the PA wildlife website to find information about non resident licenses but I cant find anything. Can somebody let me know if they are over the counter and the price?

Thanks in advace for the help,

Brandon

·
Registered
22 Posts
The licenses cycle is from July 1st to the following June every year. You probably will not be able to get a license until the new ones come out.
You will be able to buy them directly off of the PGC website sometime in june and over the counter starting in July.

Do you know what county Franklin is located in?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Prices will be about $125 without the doe permit. That's what it was for me last year. I believe they had a surplus of doe permits in that zone last year, so I bet they will again this year. I hunt in Crawford County just northwest of Franklin.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Franklin,Pa

There is a Franklin,Pa in 4 countis of Penn...what county?

If your thinking you are coming to a piece of property that is "yours" to hunt i think you will be dissapointed.Unfortunately here in Pa it is pretty tough to find a piece where you will not be bothered by others that think they can hunt anywhere they like.I think our state is one of the worst if not the worst for this issue.

Just know where you live/hunt is a different world in that respect and by all means come and hunt just have this in the back of your mind.We have some great deer here however,they are hidden in amongst houses and private property for the most part.These are the toughest places to hunt here.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
There is a Franklin,Pa in 4 countis of Penn...what county?

If your thinking you are coming to a piece of property that is "yours" to hunt i think you will be dissapointed.Unfortunately here in Pa it is pretty tough to find a piece where you will not be bothered by others that think they can hunt anywhere they like.I think our state is one of the worst if not the worst for this issue.

Just know where you live/hunt is a different world in that respect and by all means come and hunt just have this in the back of your mind.We have some great deer here however,they are hidden in amongst houses and private property for the most part.These are the toughest places to hunt here.
That about sums it up. From what I hear Michigan is a close second. Archery season isn't all that bad, but rifle season is a parade of blaze orange.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great info.

Yea, it is a private piece of property. From what I understand, nobody has hunted it in quite sometime and the landowner just used to farm the 40 or so acres of field that surround it. I would of asked him all these questions but he said he had no idea since he doenst hunt.

MI is pretty bad also with the "sorry, im lost" hunters who think they have a right to whatever land they want.

The county is Venango like mentioned earlier. Not sure how the hunting is here but its always fun to take a road trip with a friend to a new hunting spot for a long weekend.

Again,thanks for the info.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
ive hutned both states & ill be hunting in pa again this year, as far as hunting ,both states have some stupid rules .heres a tip for you find a stair master if plan to hunt them hills .my favorite is turkey & pa rules for the most part except for no hunting on sunday .they really need to get with the times & allow sunday hunting .that would bring more hunters in from out of state then anything .so far i have not had any luck hunting in michigan .except for i did meet a couple of michigans finest thinking it would be funny to shoot a bowhunter out of the tree .both states are tough hunting imo.speaking of which looking for more land in pa for woodchuck (greene county)

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Fellas,

I just got word I will be able to hunt 75 acres down in Franklin Penn. this fall. 50 acres of woods with a 2 acre alfalfa fields and pond directlly in the center of it. It sounds almost too good to be true.

Now, since hunting in MI all my life, I was wondering if anybody had any info about this city? I tried searching the PA wildlife website to find information about non resident licenses but I cant find anything. Can somebody let me know if they are over the counter and the price?

Thanks in advace for the help,

Brandon

Not to sure where that area is, but I am sure you will find someone who is from that area on here most likely.

As far as licenses go a nonresident license is $101. Just go to a wal-mart, k-mart, or a general sporting goods store. All licenses will be electronic so those places will have the system this upcoming season if they don't have it already.

Goodluck!:thumbs_up

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,399 Posts
Yep

unless you want to shoot some crows - No Sunday hunting.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Sunday hunting

Yea, that's a sore issue. I just don't understand why we can't have it. But then again they don't understand why we want it.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
well...here goes nothing

Well as for being one of the worst place for people who think they can hunt wherever they want....News flash bud everyone thinks they have it worst. Theres only one way to deal with it PA Game Commision and State Police they love to arrest tresspassers...one or two guys get hauled off your land you still think idiots will venture on ur property...they havent been on our land for bout 10 years runnin now ( in 2G baby). As for hunting on sunday I live here and I to would like to see us being able to hunt on sunday...but you gotta consider those who like to do other things in the woods besides hunt, theyve got it worse than us they only get one day outta a whole week to be in the woods without worrying bout some moron shooting before they know what there shooting at. As for the deer population/density were on the rise baby. as far as antlered deer quality were on the rise there to "thanx to those antler restrictions a bunch of people were gripeing bout a couple years ago and now praising them"...I hate that. And as for the original questions you can get a license over counter good luck getting a doe tag dependent on what unit your in. As for your setup sounds pretty nice id plant some honey hole or secret spot in corners of field and archery season will be best bet for you to harvest a nice one once that first shotgun fires off in small game season good luck. Im sure you will enjoy our state one of the most beautiful there is.

Good luck, happy hunting, and god bless
Tim

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
May not be to happy in 2g

May not be to happy in 2g. There is one trespasser that will be hard and expensive to get out. That is the gypsy moth. Looks like another dry year and another bad year for the gypsy moth. I hunt in 2g SGL100 and 2 years ago we got shredded by them. The deer population was already low and the gypsy moths took it to another level. Last year wasn`t to bad, but it makes your heart sink when in July there are no leaves. This also put pressure on hunters to find somewhere that they can see a deer. Usually private property.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
We have own over a thousand continuous acres of private land and have permission to hunt another 1500 continuous acres that is also private and butts right up against ours...we manage all of it. I dont believe we will have that much trouble with gypsy moths atleast not where were at havent seen to many cocoons on the trees but anythig can happen we will see good luck to all. Now the ticks this year there another story holy **** there everywhere

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Your luicky

Your lucky and yes the ticks are terrible. I make sure my clothes are sprayed with paramone. Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones here in Central Pa. Even the private lands people I have talked to don`t see very many deer. Sounds like you are doiing a great job at land management.

·
Registered
43 Posts
May not be to happy in 2g. There is one trespasser that will be hard and expensive to get out. That is the gypsy moth. Looks like another dry year and another bad year for the gypsy moth. I hunt in 2g SGL100 and 2 years ago we got shredded by them. The deer population was already low and the gypsy moths took it to another level. Last year wasn`t to bad, but it makes your heart sink when in July there are no leaves. This also put pressure on hunters to find somewhere that they can see a deer. Usually private property.

Ya so lets kill more doe's and nock the population down even more. Dumbest bunch of ******s I ever seen. I'm a meat hunter but used to see plenty of big racks. These morons think that ****** with his big plan would help things. Ya there are some places that have a pretty good population but they are few and far between. I’ve seen real trophy hunters twenty years ago get bone heads every year with out crying. Give me more deer any day. I say have one day of doe. And two weeks of buck. No restriction.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts