Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, up until how, I have use regular perscription sunglasses. I plan on moving out to AZ in a week. Now, I was out there last month, and I was there for probably 30 seconds and realized one thing ,"you're screwed. You have no sunglasses or way to wear them." Thankfully I went over to the nearest SGH and got a pair of clip ons.

Now, I'm looking for sunglasses to compliment my new contact lenses. With regard to archery... especially desert archery and those who've shot the AZ Cup here are the questions:
1) Are oakleys are good as they are marketed as being? I'm of the mindset of "buy expensive once, buy once." If you guys get my drift.

2) Wrap around coverage in archery, a good thing or it doesn't matter too much?

3) Tint: I'm looking for something around 12% or less in sunlight emission. However, there are like 4 different tints (I think I'm gonna go for the Oakleys), what tint of lense is best at a) blocking out the desert. b) shooting at a vegas target?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is a different case but related to glasses.
I have blended lenses and finally realized I can't see out of the sides of them when aiming at the target.
I purchased some of those big framed Ray Bans like the police wear in the movies with distance only so I would not have a distorted view. So Ray Ban shades might work for you but I would sure try a bunch of different types on to see if they are distorted on the side when looking at the target.
Of course Oakleys look cooler.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Ok, up until how, I have use regular perscription sunglasses. I plan on moving out to AZ in a week. Now, I was out there last month, and I was there for probably 30 seconds and realized one thing ,"you're screwed. You have no sunglasses or way to wear them." Thankfully I went over to the nearest SGH and got a pair of clip ons.

Now, I'm looking for sunglasses to compliment my new contact lenses. With regard to archery... especially desert archery and those who've shot the AZ Cup here are the questions:
1) Are oakleys are good as they are marketed as being? I'm of the mindset of "buy expensive once, buy once." If you guys get my drift.

3) Tint: I'm looking for something around 12% or less in sunlight emission. However, there are like 4 different tints (I think I'm gonna go for the Oakleys), what tint of lense is best at a) blocking out the desert. b) shooting at a vegas target?

Thanks ahead of time.
I use the prescription sunglasses that you can see just to the top of this post in my avatar. They work great.

-Andrew

·
Registered
372 Posts
"Aviator"

I'm with Speedy on this one.

At 51 I've got pretty good eyesight, or so the Optometrist says....use off the shelf reading low magnification reading glasses for computer work, fletching arrows, etc.

This indoor season I started having aiming problems, so opted for my slight distance/astigmatism prescription in some "big-*ss 70's Ray Ban" style frames. Not stylish, but no problem with distortion near the edges as I'm looking near center vertically and about 1/4 of the way in horizontally - actually better than I expected as I don't have the flexability in the neck/shoulder muscles to turn my head as much as I would like.

With the outdoor season coming I'm looking for prescription sunglasses. Not sure if they are Oakleys, but I'd like to try the wraparound style some of the pro golfers wear. They have an inner shield that comes around the outside of the eye socket and down along the cheekbone to block wind blown dust, pollen etc. I'm abit concerned with the curvature & possible distortion in aiming.

Have also seen "shooting" glasses - big wrap around style tinted polycarbonate, with a smaller prescrition lens inside - may be worth looking at.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I agree with that philosophy, so I wear m frame heaters, they're great. I actually got mine new off ebay, they sell every option made on ebay so you shouldn't have to wait long for the perfect one for you.

With the heater, it covers everything on your face. It's the biggest lens made for the m frame, and there is no possibility of light getting in at any angle to your eyes.

I got 18%, as that was what came first in the heater shape on ebay. Maybe it makes a difference, can't say. Too much light has never gotten through, and it rarely gets dark enough to make me take them off. I think that's a good compromise. So if it's partly cloudy you'll still be able to see with them on, you won't be taking them off when a cloud is over and you won't be putting them back on when the sun comes back out.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Living and shooting in Phoenix, I have realized that it is fairly necessary to wear sunglasses, while shooting. I use semi-wrap-around polarized sunglasses for general and driving use, but have found that the wrap-arounds tend to get too confining when standing in the sun and shooting. My face sweats and they fog-up. Also, unless you want to spend a mint, polarized sunglasses lack the clarity of non-polarized, especially around the edges, where you will be looking for shooting. I must have tried on 600 pair of sunglasses (basically wherever I went that sold them) before I found ones that were the correct style and shape for me. I found I needed rimless, with a narrow bridge, and nosepieces that descended from the bridge, so I have bent them and have the right lens (I am right handed) sitting against my nose. I put stick-on bi-focals on them. I made it my business to find a pair of dark and also a pair of very light, for cloudy days and indoors, because I still require the bi-focal section.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
as far as color is concerned i have found amber to be the best for me...i use the lightest shade at night, the medium for archery and a little darker for golf....everything just seems to look clearer and brighter with that color....i have been wearing prescription lenses since i was about 3( am now 62) so have a lot of experience with them and never bothered to go to contacts as i must have over 50 pairs of all types!!....

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
personally, i've found that i need large lenses that cover the entire eye area to block out the wind and the sun from coming around them, but i also need a small nose piece and frame, otherwise i can't see past my nose. i have a pair Oakley Flak Jacket with XJL lenses, and that seems to work well enough for me. i have rose colored lenses, but they're not too great for popping out the gold on the targets. i've heard that the Persimmon lenses are good to contrast the gold with the darker colors, especially on cloudy days, but i have yet to try them out myself.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
engtee, oddly enough, I'm visiting Phoenix next week.

Oh btw... it was sunglasses, no "prescription sunglasses." my mistake. I looked into them... and then realized that perscription sunglasses cost as much as contacts and a set of oakleys.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Optics

I bought a pair of Bolle sunglasses and they have been fantastic! I liked them so much that I bought two pairs of back-ups, since I'm not exactly kind on sunglasses, with my job driving the brown truck and using them for shooting. That was two years ago, I still have the same pair, the other two are patiently waiting, and I won't buy any other.

If you do buy good optics, heed the advise on cleaning them and they'll stay clear and clean for a long time.

I also bought some ONOs which have reading glass separation in them and they are simply world class and nice if you have to switch back and forth with readers. I like those in the car, especially on trips.

The Bolles are the best shooting specs!!

These glasses are all in the $100/range but like anything, you get what you pay for.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well... my decision stands... I am going for the oakley flak jackets. i like them... very good lenses, went for the polarized ones. Very nice and very comfortable. Ionized black with very little light emission. Tried any of the other tints and they just made a mess out of the target. One right would stand out or another won't... not very "honest" shall we say.

OK and the fact that I am looking into a career with border patrol... and all the agents I've met thusfar wore oakleys. So I have to say, props for marketing them among law enforcement and the military.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Oh btw... it was sunglasses, no "prescription sunglasses." my mistake. I looked into them... and then realized that perscription sunglasses cost as much as contacts and a set of oakleys.
I thought that may have been what you meant. I have an aversion to poking my eyes, plus my eye doc told me he could get my prescription better in glasses than contacts, so contacts were out for me.

I think mine cost around 150, and I got them not only for archery, but for soccer and racquetball where I wouldn't want to wear contacts.

-Andrew

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I think mine cost around 150, and I got them not only for archery, but for soccer and racquetball where I wouldn't want to wear contacts.

-Andrew
hold on. you mean to say that you would rather wear glasses over contacts when you partake in sports were objects could potentially fly at your face at very high speeds? :confused: forgive me if i'm wrong there, it just doesn't seem to make sense in my mind. but i could very well be missing something because i don't wear glasses/contacts. :wink:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
hold on. you mean to say that you would rather wear glasses over contacts when you partake in sports were objects could potentially fly at your face at very high speeds? :confused: forgive me if i'm wrong there, it just doesn't seem to make sense in my mind. but i could very well be missing something because i don't wear glasses/contacts. :wink:
Yes indeed! A contact could fall out and get lost, or even cut your eye. My glasses have polycarbonate lenses which don't break, and the frames are designed so the lenses can't get pushed back into my face/eye. Worst case is the frame would get broken, but they are tough and have a lifetime warranty, as do the lenses. Better a broken frame than a broken orbit.

-Andrew

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Yes indeed! A contact could fall out and get lost, or even cut your eye. My glasses have polycarbonate lenses which don't break, and the frames are designed so the lenses can't get pushed back into my face/eye. Worst case is the frame would get broken, but they are tough and have a lifetime warranty, as do the lenses. Better a broken frame than a broken orbit.

-Andrew
true. well, i just learned something today. it makes sense when you think about it :tongue:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts