Archery Talk Forum banner

Lets talk thumb trigger BT release methods

440 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  GoneUser1
I'm using a Carter Solution 3 with a thumb trigger. I've been firing it by applying back tension until it releases. 95% of the time it releases within my desired time frame and sometimes it doesn't. I suspect when fatigued, I'm collapsing my bow arm.
I'm now experimenting with "relaxing" the hand, specifically the index finger, which rotates the release and drives the trigger into my thumb to fire the release. It's been working well. It's just not automatic yet. How do you shoot a BT release with a thumb trigger? What's worked and not worked?

Thanks for any feedback.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,895 Posts
I apply proper BT and if it doesn't go off in my timeframe, I let down and start over!

· Registered
646 Posts
I would go so far as to suggest that your technique is good, you just need to adjust the release to suit your natural timing. Id relax the trigger tension just a little bit. Im assuming youve already discovered the right idea with triggers - to have a higher spring tension rather than a hair trigger. Also, i wouldnt cosider this a cheat to your form fitness, but a way to accomodate what youre doing right now. I would still focus on form fitness, with a view to being able to add tension to the trigger (which is almost always better, less punchy etc).

· Registered
3,262 Posts
im shooting a chappy boss. i shooting this over the hinge. i wrap my thumb around and touch my finger. tension is set light. but i still have to pull into it before it will fire. if it doesnt fire within my time frame, i let down. it means something was not right. but compared to the hinge i shoot it way better, and groups are way tighter. more consistant on a day to day basis. i recommend trying different thumb sizes to omptane the exact fit. when it fits right the pressure is always there. i like the chappy best because of the straight handle and i can set it light, so it doest take alot of pressure. i like to pull with my hand and not worry about the thumb. hand always flies back like the hinge and is always a susprise release

· Registered
646 Posts
what is YOUR appropriate timeframe?
i have been battling myself with the release going off too fast(1-2seconds)

how long do most people feel is appropriate?
Generally speaking, in target shooting, youre looking at around 4 to 8 seconds. Any longer than that, youll start to adopt bad habits just to get the shot off (punching, flinching, drive by shooting) and less than that you will not have given the bow and shooting frame a chance to settle. Its a sign that your trigger might be too light too. The ideal trigger is one that is as hard as you can make it, while still being able to subconsciously squeeze it off correctly. Too hard and you disrupt shot timing with it, too soft and you get punchy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.