Archery Talk Forum banner

Let's talk Whitetail decoys!

772 7
You guys with experience in using decoys, help a brother out. What are your opinions on using both 2-d and 3-d decoys during the Midwest rut? Any success with the 2-d decoys in those harder to reach areas? More success with 3-d decoys overall? No success with either of them whatsoever? We talked to some fellow Alabama hunters who have hunted on Illinois public land for years and they were saying that calling has gotten so popular and with the pressure on public land that they can't seem to get a buck to respond anymore, so they were planning on decoying this year in hopes that the visual confirmation will bring a big shooter on in? What are you guys' experiences?

Also, what brand do you guys recommend in both 2-d and 3-d? I noticed that Cabela's has the Montana 2-d's for about half price right now.

Thanks in advance!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,224 Posts
ive got the flambeau boss buck...looks better to me than the others. as for calling on public ground in IL, if u are hunting a "popular'' spot then u better be real careful of calling at all. a couple years ago i was huntin some state land there and grunted @ a buck out @ about 80yds., he hightailed it outta there! it wasnt just me either, others in my huntin party had the same thing happen. they have heard that before. if u are huntin an area that doesnt have as much pressure they respond to calls much better. i havent had much luck with a decoy(i havent tried it much tho) it really seems to spook the does. good luck

· Registered
184 Posts
I used the flambeau doe decoy last year, and I won't leave home without it this year. I hunt alot of big field edges where the bucks can see for a long ways. Most of the time they just walk out of the trees to the edge of the field and check to see if there is anything around and if there isn't they usually won't come out in the field. I've found that almost every time I have the decoy out they will come check it out. I shot a 140" deer a yard shy of my decoy last year, he walked out of the bottom at about 200 yards and when he seen the decoy he walked straight to it. Another thing I like about the flambeau decoy is that it looks more realistic then most other decoys. I also have a delta decoy, and I get more use out of it as a target.

· Registered
48 Posts
I have an old 2d alert doe that folds up and sits on a steel rod, don't remember the name though. I hunt in michigan and it has only worked on does in early October for me. I have taken it out during the rut and had it spook every buc that saw it. I think it is because she is alert. Havn't tried a new 3d yet.

· Registered
3,469 Posts
I used the EasyDoe last year with great success. The best pat of the decoy is it is inflatable and it also has a remote controlled tail to help give movement. What's nice about the machanical tail is you don't have to sit there 30 minutes before dark and watch some other decoys go lifeless b/c the wind died.

Check out the website or PM with any questions.

DS

· Human Bean
15,545 Posts
What I want to know is if the 2D "cardboard" decoys are worth anything or if they are just a waste of money. They'd be easier to pack then a 3-D model.

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
I just bought a Primos Scarface buck decoy, took it out for the first time last night...No bucks around but I did have some does come in, I figured they would spook but they never did, they looked him over and went back to feeding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.