Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
32,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Roy,

I think back about all the good times we had roaming the woods together hunting rabbits, Hoover hogs and dillers. Our Bear Kodiaks were special back then and I will never forget those days in the woods. We shared some great times like the time we stopped at an archery target on the way to the Yellow Belly Drag Strip. We had to cross the freeway to shoot at the guys big bullseye cause we were doing too much damage to his target. We had to watch for the traffic on the freeway before we shot.... He finally ran us off because of too many holes in his bullseye.....I will never forget the time you hit that swamp rabbit highballing it at 30 yds....amazing shot.....We did a bunch of damage to stumps back then too did we not. Broke a few arrows but we had plenty back then to spare I guess.....Remember the time I shot that diller and he ran into his hole and broke my dang arrow into three pieces? We never hunted big game together and as I look back, I don't think we would have enjoyed it anymore than all the small game we went after......

Remember back in the 50s when we use to wonder why they didn't add a loop on the string or just come up with some kind of release gadget with a trigger? We were thinking well ahead of our time, weren't we?

I wish you were still here Roy, the bows are so much better now with wheels and sights and all kinds of gadgets to make aiming and accuracy so much better...You were a lot more talented with you recurves than I was...I think my form created target panic and I didn't even know I had it. I was proud when you won the Shreveport City Championship back then. I knew you could it, you practiced enough and your spot shooting was something I never figured out.......

All I can say Roy...with tears in my eyes is I wish you were still here, heck, I'd buy you any bow you wanted just to see you still outshoot me.....I miss ya bro! You passed away way too soon!

Sinceerely....

Your brother Dave

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,142 Posts
Sounds like you still have some great memories from your time spent with him. Keep those memories alive.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Nice letter -great memories. I cherish outdoor memories with my brother as well. Lost him a couple of years ago from a prolonged battle with Hep C. His wife gifted me all of his hunting and fishing gear. He's still with me when I go out in the woods.

·
32,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice letter -great memories. I cherish outdoor memories with my brother as well. Lost him a couple of years ago from a prolonged battle with Hep C. His wife gifted me all of his hunting and fishing gear. He's still with me when I go out in the woods.
I understand.....the reason I wrote this......mainly, to encourage all out there who have brothers or wives or buddies you share this great sport with to not take them for granted...I found that life is so short and its times together with close friends and families that are most dear.....don't treat those times lightly......

·
32,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you still have some great memories from your time spent with him. Keep those memories alive.
Thanks for the kind words.....the memories will stay with me unless dementia drives them away......

·
Coram Deo
3,287 Posts
In my avatar are two little boys- my sons. The one one the right died at age 11 on Memorial Day 2012. I hope his little brother writes a letter like this to him someday.

·
32,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my avatar are two little boys- my sons. The one one the right died at age 11 on Memorial Day 2012. I hope his little brother writes a letter like this to him someday.
Dang, I don't have to tell you how important it is.....I know you are ahead of me on this topic....God bless you and yours for what you've been thru!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I am sorry for your loss as well. We're not supposed to bury our children....

·
Registered
668 Posts
I understand.....the reason I wrote this......mainly, to encourage all out there who have brothers or wives or buddies you share this great sport with to not take them for granted...I found that life is so short and its times together with close friends and families that are most dear.....don't treat those times lightly......
Very well said.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Very Touching letter, brought tears to my eyes, thanks a lot for the reminder.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Very nice letter. Wrote one to my grandmother shortly after she passed. I still read it every now and then. Feels like she is right there with me. Wish we never had to lose our loved ones, but I have faith that we will see them again on the other side.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I don't have a brother, but I have two sons. I hope they have the happiness you and your brother shared. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

·
32,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't have a brother, but I have two sons. I hope they have the happiness you and your brother shared. Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks...there was so much more I could have written but it got to where I couldn't see the dang monitor screen.....

·
Registered
18,547 Posts
Very nice letter and very well said. Nothing is more important than time spent with loved ones. No matter how much time we get together its never enough thats for sure. I hope to have many more years of hunting with my father, brothers, and hope my daughters will enjoy it as much. Letters like these kind of put everything into perspective. Thank you for that.

NM_HighPlains very sorry to hear about your little boy. I hate hearing about little ones like that. Cherish those good times you got to spend with him.

·
32,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right now my eye's are full of tears and my hart is bleeding. Prayers sent.
Darin
Thanks to you and flatwoodshunter......everytime I go back and read it, I get teary eyed......I miss that big dude....He bowled two consecutive 300s at a bowling alley once and he won 80 out of 81 baseball games in high school. He was a southpaw and had a wicked curve. The game he lost, was the second game of a double header and he won the first game but he had the flu and it wore him down.....

·
Coram Deo
3,287 Posts
Amen to that!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Thanks to you and flatwoodshunter......everytime I go back and read it, I get teary eyed......I miss that big dude....He bowled two consecutive 300s at a bowling alley once and he won 80 out of 81 baseball games in high school. He was a southpaw and had a wicked curve. The game he lost, was the second game of a double header and he won the first game but he had the flu and it wore him down.....
Sounds like he was also one lucky guy to have a bro like you to enjoy and share some of the best memories we have. Like you said, everybody should wake up and think, the time and days we have here is numbered, only no one knows how much time we have left. All we can do is cherish and love those we have today for tomorrow they or we might not be here anymore.

NM HighPlains, I am also sorry for your loss. A close friend just had their 9 year old son pass away from an asthma attack last week. There is no words to make them or you understand and those of us that haven't experienced anything like that DON'T know what it could possibly be like. I just pray for those and their families.

Go out and tell your family and friends you love them next time you see them, it may be the last chance you get.

God Bless

1 - 20 of 36 Posts