Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there have been a few threads about this unit. I figured there might be some more updates to it. I bought a Nikon 440 which works great but might be interested in the RX-II if the compensator works good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought the RX II when it first came out. I was mainly interested in the compensation factor for uphill/downhill shots. I noticed that the compensator didn't work for anything over 60 yards. As a target shooter, I needed something that works out to the longer distances normally shot. I called Leupold and was told that on the "bow" settings they can only compensate accurately out to 60 yards so that is where they set the maximum for this feature. This is for bows only due to the low speeds. For the rifle shooter, they range much further. For those hunting this would be fine as most shots would be inside of this. In general, the rangefinder works well. The optics are good and it does range accurately within +/- 1 yd.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
kgn said:
I bought the RX II when it first came out. I was mainly interested in the compensation factor for uphill/downhill shots. I noticed that the compensator didn't work for anything over 60 yards. As a target shooter, I needed something that works out to the longer distances normally shot. I called Leupold and was told that on the "bow" settings they can only compensate accurately out to 60 yards so that is where they set the maximum for this feature. This is for bows only due to the low speeds. For the rifle shooter, they range much further. For those hunting this would be fine as most shots would be inside of this. In general, the rangefinder works well. The optics are good and it does range accurately within +/- 1 yd.
That pretty much sums up my findings also.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Do the math guys, unless you sit about 60 feet high in your tree the compensator isnt going to do you any good. At 20 to 30 feet high in a tree the angle is not high enough to cause the differences that the ads state. Call Leuopold and ask them and they will tell you that the info on their ad is misleading. If you have the chance to be in the exact dimensions as their ad states you would probably be hunting out west and be above an animal. In this situation the unit would be helpful but for your average treestand hunting the nikon 440 is all your going to need.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I think it would be more for bowhunters doing spot and stalk hunting in canyon's and nasty mountain terrain...

I don't get the bow and gun modes....just tell me the true horizontal distance and let me decide where to hold based on that...having different modes makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I field tested one of these... and the difference between the yardage on the ground.. and yardage from the treestand was only about 2yds on average. This is from a treestand height of about 15-20ft..

Not really worth all the added complexity over a standard "point and shoot" rangefinder... I personally chose the Nikon 600.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
I field tested my RX-III as well. We have a couple stands on extremely steep sidehills. There is one trail below the stand that shows a LOS distance of about 34 yards but with the compensations shows it to be about 26 yards. I couldn't believe the difference so I stuck a target down there and shot for 26 yards . . . . dead center . . . :eek:

I'm quite pleased with mine.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Mr. October.. From heights that are higher.. or in very hilly country.. I could definately see an advantage. But for the average treestand from average heights.. I didn't see as much difference.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
KBacon said:
Mr. October.. From heights that are higher.. or in very hilly country.. I could definately see an advantage. But for the average treestand from average heights.. I didn't see as much difference.
True . . . but since the price was more or less the same between the RX-III and the other range finders I looked at I figured I might was well have the compensation. Bad decision at first . . . I had to send the whole thing back to Leupold because it wouldn't range anything dark but the new one they sent me works like a champ. I just leave it in TBR mode. Even if it is only a couple yards difference, I have it and might as well use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts