Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using the Leupold VX-R 2-7 FireDot with the illuminated LVR reticle? This scope just keeps pulling at me and seems like it would be a great crossbow scope.

reticle-144-large.png

·
Bringer of truth
14,913 Posts
i have the plane VXR 2 x 7 with only the ctr dot. Mine sits on an optimzer.

The extra dots on this are really probably set up fro a shot gun or rifle etc.

If you are looking for a multi aim point scope.the Hawke models might do a better job.

Your aim points on this thing would likely be something like 20 yrds and 57 and 93 or some odd ball line up.

So any thing in between the dots would be a crap shoot, especially at yardage over 40

·
I Didn't Do It.
1,251 Posts
Of coarse I would get the optimizer with it.
I wonder if all three dots might wash out the target at dusk or dawn.

·
Bringer of truth
14,913 Posts
once your on the optimizer..the other 2 dots would just be added cluter to scope view.

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
i have the plane VXR 2 x 7 with only the ctr dot. Mine sits on an optimzer.

The extra dots on this are really probably set up fro a shot gun or rifle etc.

If you are looking for a multi aim point scope.the Hawke models might do a better job.

Your aim points on this thing would likely be something like 20 yrds and 57 and 93 or some odd ball line up.

So any thing in between the dots would be a crap shoot, especially at yardage over 40

This scope is on my hit list as well. Leupold sent me a link with the MOA for the different dot/marks at the high and low magnifications but I haven't worked out the math yet to see if it might work ok on 4.5 or 5 power.

They also make an Ultimateslam 2-7x33 with a similar but non-illuminated reticle. This would look cool on a silver Ventilator . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got an XB30 and like it. I use to have a Optimizer but found it difficult to use since I hunt from a blind. If they would add a light to the dial like they've done with the vert model I'd take another look at it. Even when I used the Optimizer I liked having an alternate aiming option for when I couldn't make an adjustment. That was my hope for the Leupold.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I've pushed Leupold pretty hard a couple times about putting an XB30 type lighted reticle in the VX-R. I think that would be the cat's meow for a very high quality crossbow scope with an affordable price.

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
The LRV reticle makes for an excellent crossbow scope but imo is best suited for higher speed crossbows. The 3 firedots are spaced closer than what would appear in the above diagram. However the 3 firedots should cover most hunting situations. I was shooting my Matrix 405 today that shoots a 406.1 grain arrow along at 393 fps and with the scope set on 3 power and the first dot set on a 30 yard zero, I came within an inch of a 30, 35, 40 yard aiming points with the three firedots. So even at high speed and the scope set on low power the dots are closer together than I think most people would like. I still love the scope and after the season I will be installing a HHA Optimizer that I have here on a shelf. This scope on top of an HHA will make for an outstanding setup, imo.. My scope with the LRV is a 3-9x50 so I don't know if the spacing would be different on the 2-7x33 ?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Where is the paralax set on this scope? 100 yards or 50?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's one of their standard rifle scopes so it would have a 100 yard parallax. However, it can be sent back to Leupold to have it reset to any parallax you'd want. Last time I checked they charged around $25 for the adjustment.

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Imo it's just hard to beat the leupold crossbones for a hunting scope. After using it all this past year except for 3or 4 times. I couldn't find a situation where it didn't work. The big test came when I had a deer at 30 yds before daylight. I could just tell there was something there with my naked eyes. But with the crossbones I could have shot it easy. But even then I couldn't see well enough to tell if it was a button or a doe or even if it was a small spike. I could just tell it was a deer. After legal shooting time came in and I checked on the spot. There was no problem telling what the deer was seeing the aiming crosshairs. This absolutely convinced me that I needed no other scope to deer hunt with a crossbow.

Now LOL I think the firedot is a cool deal. If it goes very dim and I mean very dim. I would welcome it on the crossbones.

·
Bringer of truth
14,913 Posts
Imo it's just hard to beat the leupold crossbones for a hunting scope. After using it all this past year except for 3or 4 times. I couldn't find a situation where it didn't work. The big test came when I had a deer at 30 yds before daylight. I could just tell there was something there with my naked eyes. But with the crossbones I could have shot it easy. But even then I couldn't see well enough to tell if it was a button or a doe or even if it was a small spike. I could just tell it was a deer. After legal shooting time came in and I checked on the spot. There was no problem telling what the deer was seeing the aiming crosshairs. This absolutely convinced me that I needed no other scope to deer hunt with a crossbow.

Now LOL I think the firedot is a cool deal. If it goes very dim and I mean very dim. I would welcome it on the crossbones.
R2.............the VXR line the dot goes real low almost invisible. The scope also turns off after it has sat idol fro a while.

MTM............I had a multiple aim point scope on an optimzer fro a short while.....you have to be reallllll good to keep track of dial settings on the optimzer then throw odd ball aim points into the mix. Oh and don't for get not to zoom if you need to. Thats three differnt calibrations to maintain to take a shot....way to much for me, i am just not that good.

Though this combo can work nice off a bench for target shooting and double as a hunting set up. That what i used it for.
For hunting there is way better ways to go Like 3. x 9 50 with the single dot.
You can see quite a bit past the dusk with this model. Scopes are a vary personal thing and everyone has there plan that develops as they go, no doubt so i would say try it out you may love it.

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
I like the fire dot idea No1. I'm thinking hard real hard after Christmas getting one for my AR to yote hunt.
And I think if the put it on the crossbones that scope should please just about everyone.

·
Bringer of truth
14,913 Posts
i expect that the fire dot to be in the crossbones at some point.......this would be a logical choice for them. Maybe a similer model to this
I think they are just holding out for marketing reasons.

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
I still like the Crossbones as well at 11" and 10 ozs, even though it's on a VX-1 platform. I asked Leupold recently if they plan to offer an illuminated version of it and they said no. Then I wondered how often do you really need illumination to see a deer in low light if you're going to identify the target versus shooting at a moving body?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
My binoculars are for identifying the target. The illumination is to see the crosshairs. I've been "scoped" by hunters using their scope to identify the target and it is not a pleasant experience, especially when its with a firearm.

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
I still like the Crossbones as well at 11" and 10 ozs, even though it's on a VX-1 platform. I asked Leupold recently if they plan to offer an illuminated version of it and they said no. Then I wondered how often do you really need illumination to see a deer in low light if you're going to identify the target versus shooting at a moving body?
And not to speak of legal shooting hours. I've found if I can see it with my naked eye. I can clearly see to shoot it with the crossbones.
And most times that's pushing legal shooting times. The exception is early bow season it gets darker in the woods earlier than fields.
But even there if I can see it.I can shoot it with the crossbones.

The identifying I'm talking about is not if its a deer. It's if it's a button or small buck. I can see its a deer with my naked eyes.
We're bow hunting here :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I'm just one of those that are always looking for something better, even when they like what they have. The Hawke XB30 (older version with the x's) works great and has everything I need. I'm toying with the idea of getting a faster crossbow and putting it together in my head.

No1, I played the same game with my Optimizer. I basically set the scope up as if I didn't have an Optimizer and only used the Optimizer when I zoomed the scope in and then only used the center crosshair. (It was a lot to remember) If HHA put a light on they're dial I'd give it another shot and go with the signal lighted FireDot. Until that time I'm still exploring other options.

jhfoutz, I agree, a scope shouldn't be used as binoculars! But if you're looking at a deer (target) I've got no problem using my scope.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts