Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New to the forum. I've been googleing and searching here for sometime trying to see if there are any benefits to one or the other as far as lever and compound bows. IS it just the different action? Or is there benefit to one over the other? I love my recurve so I was thinking about going lever and picking up a Phoenix. Any input would be appreciated.

**Edit**This will be for hunting. For now at least.

·
Registered
16,990 Posts
Lever bows are nice they have a very unique smooth and comfortable draw curve. They were great at the time they were created and with regards to Oneida where the fastest bows available for a little while.

Now with more modern technology parallel limb design better cam design your standard compound bow this faster though it'll typically have a more stiff draw curve.

One thing I love about the lever limb design, typically being Oneida, is that it is very easy to work on. I don't need to buy a special bow press. I can go to the hardware store get a couple of L brackets to buy 4 and some rubber tubing for a press.

If your new to archery, there are plenty very good standard compound bows that are available for reasonable price. However, if you like the lever bow design you like the draw curve just like the way it feels, whatever. Go ahead and get one they're accurate easy to shoot and generally holder very good resale value.

One thing I love about the Oneida lever limb design is how easy it is to work on, especially setting center Shot. There is no playing with the yokes. A solid wooden workbench, a rubber mallet and Allen wrenches is all it takes. Loosen the appropriate Allen screws lay the bow on the bench, smack the outboard lemon to alignment with the mallet. You can also use a large flat blade screwdriver to wedge the limb left and right

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Hello. New to the forum. I've been googleing and searching here for sometime trying to see if there are any benefits to one or the other as far as lever and compound bows. IS it just the different action? Or is there benefit to one over the other? I love my recurve so I was thinking about going lever and picking up a Phoenix. Any input would be appreciated.

**Edit**This will be for hunting. For now at least.
Send me a PM maybe we can find someone in your area that will let you loose a few arrows in one so you can see if it's a good fit for you.

·
Registered
16,990 Posts
Smack outboard limb...lol. and yes I can read but I'm cross eyed.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I had an Oneida many years ago and hope to one day have one again. I want one to shoot fingers again. The draw cycle was smoother than any wheel bow and it was fast enough but it always had a thump when I shot. I didn’t know until I looked them up if they still made them.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

·
BIG FRANK....
8,394 Posts
He's talking about if the outboard limb, the recurve limb, was to get out of alignment with the power limbs, the center shot got out of alignment ...That's in case you dropped the bow out of your treestand, or got mad and slammed it up against a tree..I don't know why he would use that analogy...I've never had to to do that with any of my Oneidas and I've had them since the 80s......

Op another thing the Oneidas are not compared to a recurve, they are a compound bow, and or they call them a lever bow....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's talking about if the outboard limb, the recurve limb, was to get out of alignment with the power limbs, the center shot got out of alignment ...That's in case you dropped the bow out of your treestand, or got mad and slammed it up against a tree..I don't know why he would use that analogy...I've never had to to do that with any of my Oneidas and I've had them since the 80s......

Op another thing the Oneidas are not compared to a recurve, they are a compound bow, and or they call them a lever bow....
I wasn't insinuating they were they same. My mistake on that. What I was meaning was the look of them. I've also read that the draw cycle is so smooth its almost as if you're drawing a traditional bow.

·
Registered
16,990 Posts
Dont believe anyone was insulted, just correcting a common misconception.

I would suggest just going to shoot them see if you like them

Regarding the smacking the outboard with a rubber mallet... That was the suggested method on how to get it aligned from the manufacturer... somewhere on YouTube there's still the videos available I'm turning and setup. I remember walking into the shop years ago and seeing somebody do that.

Regarding them being a great finger Bowl, absolutely. It's the main reason I got one that I have, and old aeroforce. I had mine set up with an old timberdoodle rest that way I could shoot fingers or release and have Arrow impact very close to each other

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Do you guys with lever bow experience find them all to be loud, or are there some that aren't?

(Just parroting a fairly common complaint I've often heard about lever bows in general; I have no personal experience either way...)

·
Registered
16,990 Posts
Yes the bows are a little bit louder. All you have to do is think about how many thousands of deer have been killed with those bows. They're very easy to quiet down just maybe have to do them a little bit differently than your typical compound. I think those that are making serious complaints are probably those that are making excuses for missing deer

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've heard that a little velcro or felt where the string makes contact with the lever works. They also seem to be a bit quieter when shooting with finger. Or so I've read/ heard. Finding one to shoot is easier said than done. I need a left handed bow. Unless someone doesn't mind never seeing their arrow again?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Do you guys with lever bow experience find them all to be loud, or are there some that aren't?

(Just parroting a fairly common complaint I've often heard about lever bows in general; I have no personal experience either way...)
The sound $issue" is primarily that the sound is so different that a wheel cam bow that it is almost always perceived as louder.

That said, many that claim they're actually loud don't know the first thing about tuning them. A loose timing cable and low brace and it'll sound like a 22lr went off. On the other hand, a properly tu es bow with a good weight in the arrow and you'll have guys on the range asking you "is that an Oneida? Ita so quiet...". As always, it's merely a matter of doing things right to get the results you want ;)

·
Registered
16,990 Posts
You are 100% right. Getting timing down is critical on the Oneida lever action bows. Most of the people I have met at shops have no idea how to tune them.

Yes Velcro on the loom ends of the outboards works very well. However it's really unnecessary with the newer outboard limbs better made of some kind of polymer or carbon fiber. Now the old wood Outboards, definitely help with the velcro

·
Registered
16,990 Posts
Yall got me wishing I would have kept my Oneida!! I kinda miss it.
The old ones are still available on eBay ... just may have to wait for a certain specific model. The funny thing is it's going to cost you the same or more than when you originally bought it... LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts