Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Parker Cyclone is now 5 yrs old ( I probably have 150 shots thru it) and is by far my favorite weapon that I have ever owned. It has a lifetime warranty but since Parker stopped making them a few years ago Im worried that if something like one of the limbs breaks I won't be able to get it fixed despite the warranty because of lack of replacement parts. I usually replaced my compounds every 2-3 years but crossbows are a completely different animal. My question is how many years would you guys keep using a crossbow that you absolutely loved? My concern is it failing during the rut etc and not being able to get it repaired in a short period of time or repaired at all due to lack of replacenent limbs/parts. I dread the day that I have to replace it but I am loving the Ravin R-9 but I'm going to hold off spending 3 times the amount of $$$ than I did on my Cyclone as long as I can.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
With proper care of the cams, cables and strings and trigger these bows will last 10 years +. The recurve xbows especially. I hunt with a guy that shoots a Horton Legend. He bought this Xbow back in 2000 and bought a second two years later as a backup. Both bows work very well 15 years later and he consistently takes 1-2 deer every year. He's about to give in and buy something new simply to keep up with the Jones.

As the technology continues to refine and products become better it's hard not to be interested in a new xbow. I will say that I agree the R9 is an interesting xbow and has some nice innovative changes.

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
I had one too, and a Terminator; the latter was my entry bow, the former my 'speed' bow. Learned a lesson the hard way when the stock on my Terminator -which had also been discontinued- cracked. Parker replaced it but the stock was from another model; it did not fit and the camo wasn't close to matching rest of bow. Then the Cyclone blew up, fortunately while it was still being marketed. Parker fixed it, after about a month of delay. Armed with those experiences, I sold both and invested in Excalibur. But it's 250 draw weight and noisy turned me off. Now have two Missions: 320 and 360, couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
28,212 Posts
If you like the bow I would keep it and add one. Being that age it won't bring a lot anyway but far as the bow it could last many more years it just depends. Always a good idea to have a backup.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
I'm keeping mine as long as they last. I do have a spare, so I don't worry about missing hunting time. Like you, Pike, I really like my crossbows and would have a tough time getting something that would be a real upgrade without spending quite a bit of money.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
With the way our gun seasons run in AR I really don't have to worry with a back up. From about mid Oct until right after Christmas there is some kind of gun hunt going on most all the time. I guess you could say my back up is my rifle.

As far how long a crossbow last I guess you can say it depends on how it's used and cared for. I see pictures of peoples bows being stored in an uninsulated metal shed and I have to think they are baking in there in the summer time. Also how much you shoot it of course. I only start practicing a few weeks before season starts every year so mine don't get a great number of shots on them. I bought a preowned Horton in 99 and used it through the 2015 season. I only really got a new one because I wanted something faster. That and being on this board is a bad influence. lol

·
Huntoholic
10,843 Posts
Do like was said,, keep it and add another,, Hurricane maybe,,, but @150 shots it's barely broke in. I sold mine with over 500 shots on it, the serving was needing replaced but still run'n great! I sold it for a Gale Force I put over 1000 arrows thru, and sold that to buddy who is still kill'n deer with it. Keep the maintenance up on it and keep grin'n,, I would think about adding a new Excalibur,, bulldog maybe,, if you have good health no more than your shooting,, that new Suppressor would make a cool backup,, maybe the other way around,, but I don't care what weapon it is,, shotgun, hand canon, rifle, revolver,, you name it,, even vert bows, one weapon of any type is never enough!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
In my experience, if one doesn't go speed crazy with light arrows, shooting at the heavier end of the recommended range for your xbow, always check your limbs, cams, strings and cables, you've extended the life of your xbow considerably. I tried putting PTFE (teflon) tape on the rails of my xbows and was astonished how long the servings last! No more scratched up rails and serving wear. I have yet to change a serving after putting this stuff on. (couple hundred shots or so thus far) I first tried it out on my first foray into xbows; an old crosman bristol. She was heavy, but stout! Not what you'd call a real fast shooter at just under 300fps. Here's a couple pics of the PTFE tape:

Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Trigger

String instrument Plucked string instruments Musical instrument Bowed string instrument

That stuff is slicker than snot on a door knob and also designed to resist heat, as it is used under the heating wire on vacuum sealing machines. Two for one, low friction and high heat resistance. I was careful to make sure that no lubricant residue remained on the rail AT ALL before I put the PTFE tape on, by using acetone and de-natured alcohol. It has held up great. Plus, I like not having to mess with waxes, oils or lubes any more, except for waxing string and cable strands. When I get my Storm outfitted, I'll do a report on any difference in FPS as well.

I found my PTFE tape on ebay. Love it.

Here's to making the good ones last.

TS

·
Banned
88 Posts
My Parker Cyclone is now 5 yrs old ( I probably have 150 shots thru it) and is by far my favorite weapon that I have ever owned. It has a lifetime warranty but since Parker stopped making them a few years ago Im worried that if something like one of the limbs breaks I won't be able to get it fixed despite the warranty because of lack of replacement parts. I usually replaced my compounds every 2-3 years but crossbows are a completely different animal. My question is how many years would you guys keep using a crossbow that you absolutely loved? My concern is it failing during the rut etc and not being able to get it repaired in a short period of time or repaired at all due to lack of replacenent limbs/parts. I dread the day that I have to replace it but I am loving the Ravin R-9 but I'm going to hold off spending 3 times the amount of $$$ than I did on my Cyclone as long as I can.
Everything has a usable life it be better if all companies stayed with 5 year warranty life warranty adds 40% to cost of bow or offer a full trade in for 5 years .

Don't Sweat it buy a Ravin R9 I sold my bows get one. Pike remember I said this in few weeks or months every bow company going try copy a Ravin .

Every 2-3 year I change for a new model but try stay with same company

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info and advice guys!! Im going to shoot the R9 and if its worth the price tag ill probably end up buying one ( though I wish they had a model that was 2-3 inches shorter in length) and if its not worth the $$$ I'll look for a used crossbow to back up my Cyclone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In my experience, if one doesn't go speed crazy with light arrows, shooting at the heavier end of the recommended range for your xbow, always check your limbs, cams, strings and cables, you've extended the life of your xbow considerably. I tried putting PTFE (teflon) tape on the rails of my xbows and was astonished how long the servings last! No more scratched up rails and serving wear. I have yet to change a serving after putting this stuff on. (couple hundred shots or so thus far) I first tried it out on my first foray into xbows; an old crosman bristol. She was heavy, but stout! Not what you'd call a real fast shooter at just under 300fps. Here's a couple pics of the PTFE tape:

View attachment 5047753

View attachment 5047761

That stuff is slicker than snot on a door knob and also designed to resist heat, as it is used under the heating wire on vacuum sealing machines. Two for one, low friction and high heat resistance. I was careful to make sure that no lubricant residue remained on the rail AT ALL before I put the PTFE tape on, by using acetone and de-natured alcohol. It has held up great. Plus, I like not having to mess with waxes, oils or lubes any more, except for waxing string and cable strands. When I get my Storm outfitted, I'll do a report on any difference in FPS as well.

I found my PTFE tape on ebay. Love it.

Here's to making the good ones last.

TS
I found the PTFE adhesive tape on EBAY, do you use the 0.018 thickness? Also what width?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
150 shots total?? There are several guys on here that put that many shots through their crossbows in a month or two in the off season. I think you have a lot of life left in it, and as others have mentioned having a backup bow is a good idea.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I should have been more descriptive. I had to go double check my tape roll, so here are the dimensions I used on the crossbow shown: 3/4" wide, .18mm thick PTFE heat seal tape. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teflon-Adhe...582132?hash=item3d20feea74:g:3s4AAOSweXhXl5aC

I applied the tape by pinning one end with my thumb and smoothing the tape down in a sweeping motion with the tape nearly centered on each rail's inside edge to prevent bubbles. I used a small rubber spatula I found in my wife's kitchen drawer to seat the tape down inside the rail.

This stuff is amazing. I probably should have got a chrono to see the actual difference in fps. The arrows just squirt off the rail, which can be great or not so great, depending on how accurately you cock your crossbow.

The markedly reduced friction not only applies to forward motion, but sideways as well. Meaning that if you are not meticulous about getting that string back dead center, the 'fishtail' motion exhibited by an unsymmetrical draw back can be exaggerated.

I plan to add this tape to the list of mods I've already done to my Storm.

TS

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
150 shots total?? There are several guys on here that put that many shots through their crossbows in a month or two in the off season. I think you have a lot of life left in it, and as others have mentioned having a backup bow is a good idea.
Yup 150 max.
This yr. for example, I took 6 practice shots prior to the season, 5 practice shots at my house/ camp after I finished hunting for the day to de- cock it and 2 shots at the 2 bucks I harvested. For 2016 I'll probably end up with 20-25 shots out of it. My concerrn was more towards cocking it and leaving it cocked all day while on stand. I'm definitly going to start looking for a used crossbow to have as a plan B.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Ruined ... it's difficult for me to consider this question seriously ... and it's Pin's fault! Every time I read the headline, I start to laugh, and think of Pin. He's crept into my calculating thought processes ... which is frightening in it's own right! :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts