Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wondering if you guys use your life line when Temps drop below freezing? I quit using mine when Temps dropped and stayed below freezing because with all the snow and freezing rain it would be a frozen mess. I still want to use one for climbing up to my stand but don't have any idea what to do now that it's officially winter.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
If it is all frozen it turns into an ice line. Probably would be useless as a life line. Maybe take two lanyards and make sure that you keep one attached to the ladder as you climb.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used my HSS line all last winter and this winter sleet, freezing rain, snow no issues with the prusik knot freely sliding down.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I am the opposite. I feel 100% safer when using the lifeline when it is nasty out. One thing is certain, if you don't use it it will not work!

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Mine was out all last winter when Ohio had a horrible winter. I hunted pretty much every weekend up until the end and I don't ever remember my life line freezing.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My clip froze up so I carried a lighter to warm them up enough to make them work. Even if it was icy, it might slip a few inches but prussic would catch.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hey just wondering if you guys use your life line when Temps drop below freezing? I quit using mine when Temps dropped and stayed below freezing because with all the snow and freezing rain it would be a frozen mess. I still want to use one for climbing up to my stand but don't have any idea what to do now that it's officially winter.
yeah, that seems kind of backwards to me... This is the time that you need it most! When those ladders and stands are icy and wet... I hunt right up until January 1st in Michigan and have never had an issue with a lifeline "freezing" up... just slide the prussic up as you go, even if the line got wet and froze, that won't lock the prussic in place unless you are getting some crazy ice storms that I've never seen. Unless you are having trouble getting the locking carabiner open?? If that's the case, just take the it with you instead of leaving it on the line.

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
Interesting topic. I use 11.4mm Bluewate Assualtline and the texture of this rope really grips well but I would only climb with it wet. If it got wet and then froze like an icicle then I don't think it would work very well. Maybe I'll throw a section around the tree in the back yard and see for myself but I probably wouldn't hunt in a tree stand if everything was covered with ice to begin with.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
I have never had a line freeze but my dad said the one on his stand this past weekend was froze so I guess it happens. I just bought 15 more lifelines this week. I have a few stands that need one.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Freezing rain covers everything that it contacts.

Hunting out of a treestand after a freezing rain is not advisable.

So, if your line is froze, good luck standing on your platform.

Hi, Maxie......:wink:

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Freezing rain covers everything that it contacts.

Hunting out of a treestand after a freezing rain is not advisable.

So, if your line is froze, good luck standing on your platform.

Hi, Maxie......:wink:
Hey Marty. How's it goin

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
It has been my experience with ground blinds that the deer avoid them like the plague.
So not true. The problem comes when you don't cover them up with vegetation in order to blend them in. That's why they have those loops on the outside. Keep the black holes to a
Minimum and you'll be fine. Conversely, put them out early enough and expose the black holes and eventually the deer will get used to them.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I couldn't get my prussic knot to loosen up last Sunday, Stand and steps were ok, couldn't get the rope to move however.

I've also found the entire thing, life line, steps and stand 100% encased in ice. I didn't use that stand that day

In 5 years that's the only two times I've hunted when the life line was useless

·
Kick'em up
362 Posts
Just heard that a HB member fell the other day, but is ok since he was wearing a harness so this is a timely thread.

With that said I rope & saddle climbed professionally for years in the winter in all sorts of weather without a failure due to my ropes being wet or frozen, but we didn't leave them out all the time. If you are leaving your fiction hitch on the lifeline it is a good idea to redress and set the prusik knot prior to your climb to be sure it is biting when under a load. I currently leave my lifelines (using professional arborist ropes) out and have seen no real issues with my lines. I do however check them every climb and untie my friction hitch and retie every climb that way my knot is dry at least. Just my two cents.

Climb safe!!

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
So not true. The problem comes when you don't cover them up with vegetation in order to blend them in. That's why they have those loops on the outside. Keep the black holes to a
Minimum and you'll be fine. Conversely, put them out early enough and expose the black holes and eventually the deer will get used to them.
My DB's don't have stubble straps and I really never blind hunt so I hesitate to put them out since I have hang on stands about every where. I always threaten to put one out early but it never happens. They are death on turkeys though!

·
pro deer watcher
2,336 Posts
Blinds are deadly on whitetails. When u set them only leave two windows open to shoot through. Do not wait until you go into hunt to open them or you will get picked off everytime

1 - 20 of 22 Posts